Oil for Land Rover NA AJ133 5.0 V8 LR4

I’ve spent entirely too much time researching and thinking about this.
I’ve got a 2011 LR4 with 127k miles meticulously maintained by the dealership for my boss before I just recently bought it off her after personally caring for it the past 11 years. The chains haven’t been done, coolant pipes have been, but that’s not what I’m here to discusss. I’m here, naturally, to talk about oil.

My manual states WSS-M2C925-A 5w20 oil should be used.

The new JLR spec however is a 0w20 and is very expensive.

And I suspect that the change in oil spec (and cold weight) are purely for EPA purposes, certainly not to help improve the longevity of my 12 year old V8 I don’t think? Longevity and (relative) engine reliability are my goals, this thing will never be fuel efficient haha.

I suspect any brand name full synthetic would easily meet the original spec which actually seems to not require anything unusual of the oil aside from an increased oil change interval? (15k miles!?!) which I won’t be doing anyways (~5k mikes is the plan)
However, I happened to find this signed letter from JLR engineers approving penzoil ultra platinum 5w20. So I’m tempted to end my search there and happily embrace $28/gallon.
But I’m also wondering if an upgrade to motul, amsoil, or even M1 EP would be better despite not having concrete evidence that it meets the obscure and obsolete original spec for this big strong yet delicate V8 and it’s notorious timing chain tensioner.

Thank you for your $0.02

IMG_2443.jpeg

IMG_2446.jpg

A few previous discussions on this topic or similar. Some may be familliar:

I have a 2018 Jaguar XF 2.0 and I am urrently using Valvoline EP 0W-20 on this car that has an average OCI of 5K miles.
I met a guy last year who drives a Land Rover LR4 at Jiffy Lube. He was there for an oil change using Pennzoil and I was there for state inspection. We had a long chat and he bragged about the mileage on his LR4 reaching 150K+ miles. He isn't very choosey about the oil he puts in there whether it has a JLR approval or not but he frequently changes oil on his LR4 nore often than the required OCI by LR.

A few previous discussions on this topic or similar. Some may be familliar:

Thank you! Yes I have read through those and none seem to provide additional insight

I’m surprised there’s not more info out there about this.
The spec I’m most interested in meeting is the ford one. I’ve read comments that some are listed as “suitable” for that spec but I haven’t actually seen it listed anywhere first hand, only via comments.

The new JLR spec (STJLR.03.5004) is fine I’m sure but was not made specifically for my engine.

possibly a good all around oil may be any SP-GF-6a Dexos gen 3 , 5w-30 high milage version synthetic of popular brand,of course dependent on your climate, or perhaps Mobil and other brands of FS 0w-40 is a good performer in alot of uses. the JLR spec may be a look ,but hard to find,and maybe paying for this spec that serves very little purpose,any modern euro oil may be a thought,just keep up on regular changes 5k.

Last edited:
possibly a good all around oil may be any SP-GF-6a Dexos gen 3 , 5w-30 high milage version synthetic of popular brand,of course dependent on your climate, or perhaps Mobil and other brands of FS 0w-40 is a good performer in alot of uses. the JLR spec may be a look ,but hard to find,and maybe paying for this spec that serves very little purpose,any modern euro oil may be a thought,just keep up on regular changes 5k.
Isn't that a Ford V8? I wouldn't put much stock in Ford oil specs. Besides, it's probably been superseded several times.

That's a heavy vehicle and I would be using a 5w-30 or 40.

Jaguar and Land uses the same engine on their vehicles. Here, Jaguar owners talking about the oil you are referring to on this forum in which I am also a member
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/oil-wss-m2c945-vs-wss-m2c925-232555/
Thank you!!
I’ve been on the jag forums, that’s where I got the JLR letter re: penzoil, but I haven’t seen this thread you’ve posted and it has some good info. That is the first time I’ve seen anyone say they changed the spec for wear issues which throws a wrench in my whole theory of meeting the original spec and that the new one is purely for CAFE standards etc

Isn't that a Ford V8? I wouldn't put much stock in Ford oil specs. Besides, it's probably been superseded several times.

That's a heavy vehicle and I would be using a 5w-30 or 40.

Thank you for the input! I also feel like 5w30 would be best for this engine at 127k miles but I don’t have enough concrete evidence to make the change yet, when JLR wants me to go to 0w20 instead!

It’s not really a ford engine, designed by JLR but produced during ford ownership at a ford factory, so it does have fomoco stamped on the bottom of it but no relation to the 5.0 coyote.
It is an old ford oil spec but I couldn’t find anything that said any newer specs are in any way related to this spec as is typical.

Last edited:
That all makes sense to me, I do want to jump to 5w-30 and it makes sense to just get the best, latest stuff out there. I’m just trying to think it all through and make sure I’m not missing something. My main goal is to keep the timing chain and tensioner as clean as possible!

That all makes sense to me, I do want to jump to 5w-30 and it makes sense to just get the best, latest stuff out there. I’m just trying to think it all through and make sure I’m not missing something. My main goal is to keep the timing chain and tensioner as clean as possible!
The answer to this is frequent OIC 5K or less.
The engine is tried and true but cooling system is the weakest area, mainly plastic coolant pipes that is known to burst. Water pump needs to be replaced as well. Members at the Jaguar forums, instead of replacing a OEM plastic coolant pipes, a non-OEM aluminum coolant as the replacement parts available at eBay. Don't want to go off the subject, but once you smell coolant or Coolant Low Warning message at the dash. Pull over off the road and turn off the engine immediately

The answer to this is frequent OIC 5K or less.
The engine is tried and true but cooling system is the weakest area, mainly plastic coolant pipes that is known to burst. Water pump needs to be replaced as well. Members at the Jaguar forums, instead of replacing a OEM plastic coolant pipes, a non-OEM aluminum coolant as the replacement parts available at eBay. Don't want to go off the subject, but once you smell coolant or Coolant Low Warning message at the dash. Pull over off the road and turn off the engine immediately
For sure, thank you!
The coolant crossover pipes and water pump were replaced 2-3 years ago with the “updated” Land Rover parts. So I’m hoping to make it another 10k miles or 2 years before tearing the whole thing down for timing chains and I’ll definitely put in the aluminum pipes if they’ve been working well for people. I also saw another solution being put together that used a custom connector and off the shelf coolant hoses for low cost and serviceability.

Aside from the fuel economy this truck is just fantastic and checks so many boxes / so much utility that we really hope to keep it around for a while! I’m definitely planning on 4-5k mile OCI, which makes me think meeting the JLR spec which it seems was mainly for long OCI is frivolous in a way.

Jaguar and Land uses the same engine on their vehicles. Here, Jaguar owners talking about the oil you are referring to on this forum in which I am also a member
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/oil-wss-m2c945-vs-wss-m2c925-232555/

this is linked to in the thread you posted and has more answers.
It also has this exact discussion I’m talking about penzoil ultra platinum vs the latest / best

You have been taking care of it all this time and not sure what oil to use???
exclusively gone to the dealer for oil changes @$400 a pop currently.
I just ordered penzoil ultra platinum for $28 a gallon which will cost $65 for oil and filter.

Back