It's time to play "What oil for"... 2011 Land Rover RR w/ 5.0 NA motor

Just picked up a very clean 2011 Land Rover Range Rover with the 5.0 NA motor. For the most part, I run M1 0W-40 in all my motors except for the M3. But, this is my first GDI motor and they have some known timing chain and tensioner issues; it feels like that may change the equation a bit. I believe the factory calls for Castrol Edge 0W-20. I'm thinking something like M1 Truck & SUV in 5W-30, or M1 ESP X2 in 0W-20, or maybe just M1 EP in 0W20 or 5W-30.

In the end, probably all of these, even 0W-40, is probably a good enough choice, but... well, you know how it goes.

Thoughts?

Yeah they have a jag spec 0w-20 but I'd disregard it. Run M1 0w-40 you have or any other Porsche a40, bmw ll-01 and mb 229.5 oil, they're all good. Doesn't get cold here in Texas. A 5w-40 is fine.

I don't have a problem with the 0W-40 weight, it's really the GDI part that concerns me. I'm not sure M1 0W-40 is right for a GDI motor?

I did 6500 miles on liqui moly land rover spec 0w20, currently running motul 5w30 that meets the old non-GDI spec, but its SP. didn't seem to make a difference either way, but my brain likes the 5w30 better for the timing chain issues.

A shorter OCI makes the biggest difference, really. Dont go more than 6500-7k.

I would 2nd the 0w40, and if you get one with VW511 spec then it’s good to go for a direct injection petrol and timing chains as the engine it’s designed for is a 4.0 V8 petrol direct injection with 4 timing chains.

Make sure you replace both the front and rear plastic coolant pipes that go into the block for the latest parts as the ones from 2011 split and cause instant engine overheating, which in this engine typically results in new engine time.

Yeah they have a jag spec 0w-20 but I'd disregard it. Run M1 0w-40 you have or any other Porsche a40, bmw ll-01 and mb 229.5 oil, they're all good. Doesn't get cold here in Texas. A 5w-40 is fine.
The oil specs for the 5.0 V8 Ford engine that JLR is not a JLR spec

It’s a Ford Spec

5w20 WSS-M2C925-A

If unavailable or where ambient temperatures fall lower than -4oF (-20oC), in 0w20 meeting SJLR.51.5122

Though I would suspect any oil that meets the Ford spec for that engine when fitted to a Ford vehicle would be spot on

The Ford 5.0 and AJV8 are not the same motor. The AJV8 has Ford stampings/castings because its built in an old Ford plant while JLR was under Ford ownership. Many parts in those model year Rovers are interchangeable with Ford parts, but the motors are not Coyotes.

FWIW, I ended up ordering some M1 Truck & SUV 5W-20 for this thing.

The Ford 5.0 and AJV8 are not the same motor. The AJV8 has Ford stampings/castings because its built in an old Ford plant while JLR was under Ford ownership. Many parts in those model year Rovers are interchangeable with Ford parts, but the motors are not Coyotes.
Coyote engine?

Who was talking about the Coyote engine?

I was talking about the Ford 5.0 V8 fitted to Jaguar Land Rover vehicles.

Built by Ford in the Bridgend Engine plant until 2020, only then did production switch to JLR

The design process may have started before Ford bought JLR but it was finished under Ford and until the production line was transferred to JLR in 2020 it was built by Ford.

Just like the 2.7 and 3.0 diesel V6 engines, they were developed by Ford with input from JLR and PSA Group.

Doesn’t change the fact that the engines are Ford engines made at the Ford Engine Plant in Dagenham.

Just FYI, Ford sold JLR to Tata in 2008, which was 12 years before production of the AJ V8 Ford engine was transferred to JLR

And the reason for that was Ford closing Bridgend, nothing to do with Tata, JLR continued to buy the Ford engines because they are very popular in markets like the Middle East and US.

Coyote engine?

Who was talking about the Coyote engine?

I was talking about the Ford 5.0 V8 fitted to Jaguar Land Rover vehicles.

Built by Ford in the Bridgend Engine plant until 2020, only then did production switch to JLR

The design process may have started before Ford bought JLR but it was finished under Ford and until the production line was transferred to JLR in 2020 it was built by Ford.

Just like the 2.7 and 3.0 diesel V6 engines, they were developed by Ford with input from JLR and PSA Group.

Doesn’t change the fact that the engines are Ford engines made at the Ford Engine Plant in Dagenham.

Just FYI, Ford sold JLR to Tata in 2008, which was 12 years before production of the AJ V8 Ford engine was transferred to JLR

And the reason for that was Ford closing Bridgend, nothing to do with Tata, JLR continued to buy the Ford engines because they are very popular in markets like the Middle East and US.

Some people think they're the same motor, but they aren't. But to call it a Ford motor is misleading, its an AJV8. It's not available in any Ford branded products.

Designed by Jaguar and manufactured by Ford, then by JLR after 2020

If JLR had wanted Ford’s 5.0 V8 they could have had it however at the time the Jaguar developed engine was preferred. The idea being a modular platform that could be used as a v6, v8 and with and without supercharger would allow more choice and shared parts.

Designed by Jaguar and manufactured by Ford, then by JLR after 2020

If JLR had wanted Ford’s 5.0 V8 they could have had it however at the time the Jaguar developed engine was preferred. The idea being a modular platform that could be used as a v6, v8 and with and without supercharger would allow more choice and shared parts.
Only manufactured by JLR because Ford closed the factory they built them in.

I always think it’s interesting how some people hate on JLR products but have never owned one and then seem surprised that the auto boxes are solid ZF units as fitted to loads of other manufacturers, like BMW and Audi.

And the engines are mainly Ford until the Ingenium engines were introduced.

Sadly the 4 cylinder diesel has some design flaws.

0W in Texas? 👀

MB-approval 229.5 includes 5W30, 5W40, 0W30 and 0W40.
Choose any well priced oil on this list :) but I would have preferred 5W.

Last edited:
Back