Oil for high-rpm honda motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My B18C (car in sig) makes 218whp out of just over 1900cc's. Turns 9000rpm rather easily.

I switched from a 5w30 syn to 10w40 to keep oil pressure where I wanted it when it was hot and getting thrashed. As you know VTEC depends on oil pressure to work as does your bottom end to survive so I just watched my OP gauge and went from there.

Originally Posted By: sds
.....OEM Honda S2000 filter.....

Since you like the larger S2000 oil filter on your cars, see if you have the room for a Baldwin B202 filter to see if it will fit. I've ran the B202 on my '06 S2000 for the last 100k miles.
For oil I run M1 0/40 and change it out at 7500 to 8500 miles, my OUA's are great so far with this set up.

Here are some pic's of the Baldwin filter(B7042 is the same filter but has a lower by-pass valve 14psi B7042, 20psi for the B202). The S2000 oil filter has a very high psi by-pass(over 24psi) but with the Baldwin filter having more than 2 1/2 times the filter media it would be very hard to get to 20 psid in that large of a oil filter.
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1
The Honda filter in the pic's is the stock S2000 filter and you can see how small the filter media is in the Wix/Napa filter.

ROD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
What percent of the time are you running these high rpms? I've never been in one of these cars but its hard to imagine such high cruising rpms.

Cruises about 3K rpm at 67mph, so high-ish cruising but should be nothing for these motors.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Any brand Syn oil will do just fine.

Its a Honda, not a Ferrari....

Ferrari 458 Italia: 125hp/L
OP's Honda: 131hp/L

Sounds pretty stressed to me.

Even higher if that. The 230whp K20 is at 130hp/L if we assume 12% drivetrain losses, and the 315whp K24 is at 150hp/L.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Originally Posted By: sds
.....OEM Honda S2000 filter.....

Since you like the larger S2000 oil filter on your cars, see if you have the room for a Baldwin B202 filter to see if it will fit. I've ran the B202 on my '06 S2000 for the last 100k miles.
For oil I run M1 0/40 and change it out at 7500 to 8500 miles, my OUA's are great so far with this set up.

Here are some pic's of the Baldwin filter(B7042 is the same filter but has a lower by-pass valve 14psi B7042, 20psi for the B202). The S2000 oil filter has a very high psi by-pass(over 24psi) but with the Baldwin filter having more than 2 1/2 times the filter media it would be very hard to get to 20 psid in that large of a oil filter.
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1
The Honda filter in the pic's is the stock S2000 filter and you can see how small the filter media is in the Wix/Napa filter.

ROD

Thanks so much for this recommendation--I hadn't thought to use a Baldwin filter. I believe it should fit in my chassis even though it's longer.

Fellas, on the topic of the S2000 filters, any idea if they will fit the B Series motors? i.e can I just spin one on my B18C, got plenty of room back there for it!

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Fellas, on the topic of the S2000 filters, any idea if they will fit the B Series motors? i.e can I just spin one on my B18C, got plenty of room back there for it!

Yes they will

Hi SDS, our Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology 5W-30 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology 5W-30 would be great for your super Honda engines. In fact, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (based on ILSAC GF-5, sequence IIIG piston deposit test using the SAE 5W-30). Additionally, the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (again, based on ILSAC GF-5, sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30). Hope this information helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hi SDS, our Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology 5W-30 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology 5W-30 would be great for your super Honda engines. In fact, Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (based on ILSAC GF-5, sequence IIIG piston deposit test using the SAE 5W-30). Additionally, the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic motor oil with PurePlus Technology keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards (again, based on ILSAC GF-5, sequence IIIG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30). Hope this information helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Oh, so you're part of the marketing team then...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back