oil for GM 8.1L Vortec in a 38' Workhorse chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents just bought a 2003 Numar motorhome that has a -gas- '03 GM 8.1L Vortec in it with the Allison tranny. I am trying to figure out what oil would be best to run in it. I searched and came across -THIS- thread whom some seem to recommend a good heavy duty oil like 5w40 Delvac/Rotella. He ran Schaeffer's oil in his last motorhome (Chev 454) and liked it and was thinking about running it in his new one with the 8.1L Vortec as well. Would -SCHAEFFER'S SUPREME 9000 5w40- be a good choice for this engine??

thanks!
Paul

A 5W40 would be my recomendation with Redline 5W40 being my first choice. Nothing wrong though with Schaffers 5W40 either if you like it or already have it handy! Schaffers 9000 is an excellent product.

Quote:

they shoulda went diesel

the older couple they bought it from -had- a diesel pusher before buying this one. He was also a lifetime truck driver. They sold the Newmar pusher (Cummins TD) and bought this Newmar 8.1L Vortec and had no regrets. The main reason for them going from a pusher to this gas engine was the maintenance costs (oil changes, air filters, etc). He also claims that this Vortec was just as powerful as his pusher was. They did some mountain driving and said that both rigs would reach the top of a certain mountain going 50mph while pulling their Blazer behind. I guess fuel mileage was not all that different either between the two. No doubt a pusher is a step up, but for what they use it for they don't need it.

Not sure why you are looking to a diesel oil? It would be my choice to run a good shaeffers syn, Amsoil or M1-EP in a proper grade. Most likely the diesel additives are not needed in this engine. You don't say how many miles per year but you are probably doing the engine justice with a synthetic since the engine will be doing some work and the biggest killer of motorhomes is lack of use. Syn. oil will prevent the sludge up front and therefore store better with less deposits to settle out. Just my opinion!

Quote:

Not sure why you are looking to a diesel oil?

that's just based on recommendations of others who have the same engine. That link I posted in the first post is where I got that idea from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back