Oil for GM 3.6l famous for timing chains.

It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

But actually -- it needed a rear main seal and valve cover gaskets. Doing valve cover gaskets on one of these cars with the engine in the car is a fools errand when the engine is so easy to pull.
I wonder if all that PYB super cleaning ate through your gaskets. :LOL:

I wonder if all that PYB super cleaning ate through your gaskets. :LOL:
No idea but I've never personally seen heads that clean that weren't fresh out of a parts washer/hot tank or brand new.

As long as it doesn't eat through the RTV or whatever gasket is on the timing cover! I have nightmares about all the little tiny bolts that hold it on and how many I would end up breaking off.

I'm bringing up a old thread but.... I have a 2019 GMC with a 3.6 and it has 75,000 miles and I need to change my oil ASAP The oil I always use is on backorder ( Eneos Part# 3703300) I do have some oil in my garage at home.
which one would be best?

Liqui Moly Part# 20442 or Liqui Moly part# 20230

thank for any input!

I'm bringing up a old thread but.... I have a 2019 GMC with a 3.6 and it has 75,000 miles and I need to change my oil ASAP The oil I always use is on backorder ( Eneos Part# 3703300) I do have some oil in my garage at home.
which one would be best?

thank for any input!
Pick any name brand synthetic 5W-30 and you’re good to go.

I doubt an oil choice will help much with factory defects. But something in 0W40/5W40 viscosity is what I would run in that engine. Maybe even 5w50, if climate allows. May not help, but is a small safety cushion that will help me sleep at night. It's not like the Dexos certs help to minimize issues somehow, and Chevrolet still can't fix it either, even though the engine has been on the market since May 2006...
It was originally a Opel/Saab design that started life as a 2.8/3.2L V6 used in many Cadillacs here in the US and countless Holdens in Australia. You’re fine with a dexos1 oil, but I have a small hunch a Euro 5W-30 might be a touch better.

GM has been on a knack using Opel/Saab or Daewoo architectures for non-V8 engines as of the last 10-20 years.

It was originally a Opel/Saab design that started life as a 2.8/3.2L V6 used in many Cadillacs here in the US and countless Holdens in Australia. You’re fine with a dexos1 oil, but I have a small hunch a Euro 5W-30 might be a touch better.

GM has been on a knack using Opel/Saab or Daewoo architectures for non-V8 engines as of the last 10-20 years.
A friend of mine had a 2.8L V6 Cadillac CTS with a manual transmission. That car was fun, and outlasted his newer CTS with the 3.6L.

What year were the upgraded chains installed ? 2012 ?

IMG_1880.png

Last edited:
All API SN+ and SP oils are subject to a timing chain wear test with a GDI engine. The same test is used for Dexos1 Gen3. I'd assume that D1G3 has a more stringent limit to pass the test, or they probably wouldn't have included it in the standard, but I can't confirm this.

I'd use any Dexos1 Gen3 oil and keep OCIs reasonable to limit the amount of soot in the oil.

Is there an oil brand you would recommend for a Buick Enclave? It has the infamous 3.6l high feature engine that is known for timing chain issues, owing to poor crank ventilation causing issues with sludge, heat and poor flow. Is there a good oil out there that might help with this. I usually use Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, but I have heard Pennzoil can be prone to sludge?
Stick with M1 or Valvoline for that GM HIGH feature engine

which one would be best?

thank for any input!
Eneos is good oil I use it in in my 22 Tundra

Coworker had a 3.6 in his Caddy, owned it for over 230k miles. Did two timing chains in the car during the time he owned it. One under his extended warranty by GM, and one on his dime. Always used Mobil 1 5w30 & Delco filters with 5k changes. I’d bet my money on the parts GM was sourcing. Was still running good when he sold it this past summer.

Coworker had a 3.6 in his Caddy, owned it for over 230k miles. Did two timing chains in the car during the time he owned it. One under his extended warranty by GM, and one on his dime. Always used Mobil 1 5w30 & Delco filters with 5k changes. I’d bet my money on the parts GM was sourcing. Was still running good when he sold it this past summer.
Probably was the Mobil 1 he was using . M1 has cheapened there base stock from what I was told . Customer have been experiencing louder engine noise no increase in MPG’s and Stretched Timing Chains . M1 been Relying on there heavily advertisement through sponsorships for years now. Happy Holidays everyone 🎁

Nope. The old Opel/Vauxhall V6 is unrelated to the GM High Feature V6 that we’re discussing here. The HFV6 is a GM USA design with a lot of engineering and calibration work done by Holden too.

Back