Oil for Focus RS - Unusual Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The UOA results that I saw on the MC 5w50 on a prominent Mustang enthusiast site showed that it sheared to a 40-weight within 1000 miles of street use, and to a 30-weight if the car was run in a track day. So if Ford is unconcerned about it shearing that badly, why bother specifying a 50-weight at all?

In the Ford supply chain, 50 weight goes in sports cars, 40 weight goes in trucks, 30 weight goes in Ecoboosts and 20 weight goes in everything else. What happens after that is irrelevant.

Running a high-viscosity oil in my opinion usually means its ok to slack on the quality of the oil. Im not saying go buy some 2$ a quart oil but you dont need crazy protection that one might find in say Redline or Motul since your already seeking out a "higher than average" oil viscosity.

Rotella is good but in low-rpm scenarios. Not the best film strength (64xxxpsi) which iirc translates into wear at higher rpm.

Use a good 10/50 like Pennzoil Ultra Plat or Pennzoil Plat.

If you really wanna get jiggy with it then consider a redline, motul or amsoil oil, using primo ester synthetics.

Thanks for all the advice.

After much consideration, I completed the first oil change yesterday with M1 5w-50 at 2,964 miles.

How long can I expect this oil to stay in grade? Or is it highly probable that most any 5w50 is going to quickly shear, especially in this application? I'm thinking about running it for 5k max, which may be too much or too little.

A friend suggested I use Driven going forward, but I don't know much about it. He also mentioned Liquimoly.

Thanks!

I used M1 5w50 in my 2014 GT500 twice over the three years I owned it and the UOA results came back in-grade at 5000 miles that included six track days.

Changed oil and filter on my new RS last night for the first time. I went with mobil1 5w-50. Looks like it has higher zinc content than most of their other oils. I am partial to M1 because it has served me well in Rally Car racing and general daily use for many years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back