Ford Focus RS Oil Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by STIcandy
I don't understand why so thick? I have a subaru STI that calls for 5w-30. I (and most) of us run 5w-40 and with a proper AOS have no burn off and plenty of protection at the track. I have a hard time believing a 50wt is necessary.

It's a Ford Performance thing. The GT350/GT500 all have 5W-50 listed in the owner's manual, while the US Ford GT manual calls for Castrol Edge Supercar 5W-50, but if not available, Motorcraft 5W-50. It's my understanding that the xW-50 is mainly for the track conditions. After seeing how badly 5W-30 shears out to a thin 20 weight in my EcoBoost V6 engines, I'm more of a believer in a 40 weight for these applications.

Originally Posted by fastsvo
Perhaps Ford went with a 0w-40 blend in Europe due to the lack of available 5W-50?

ohh, we get plenty 5w-50 oils in eu

Originally Posted by metroplex
Originally Posted by STIcandy
I don't understand why so thick? I have a subaru STI that calls for 5w-30. I (and most) of us run 5w-40 and with a proper AOS have no burn off and plenty of protection at the track. I have a hard time believing a 50wt is necessary.

It's a Ford Performance thing. The GT350/GT500 all have 5W-50 listed in the owner's manual, while the US Ford GT manual calls for Castrol Edge Supercar 5W-50, but if not available, Motorcraft 5W-50. It's my understanding that the xW-50 is mainly for the track conditions. After seeing how badly 5W-30 shears out to a thin 20 weight in my EcoBoost V6 engines, I'm more of a believer in a 40 weight for these applications.

Granted, but we're talking a 4 pot engine. I still think 5w-50 is overkill and will do little more than kill fuel economy. I have yet to shear a 5w-40 out of grade with numerous track days on one OCI and the boxer motor is well known to be rough on oil.

However, If it's required for warranty, I'd use it too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back