Oil for flat tappet ford 302 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has an 82 Mustang with a 5.0. From our research, this engine has a flat tappet motor like the 83 motor in my RX7. He however is using his for daily driving. It was recommended for mine being used for track to use something such as Mobil 1 15w50 or something else with higher levels of zinc.

In the case of a daily driver that will see some fun time, we have two things we want to try, we are thinking either going straight 5w40 HDEO such as Delo or Rotella or going with 4 quarts M1 5w30 (maybe HM if it is worth it for the extra Zinc) with 1 quart 15w50.

What say ye members of BITOG?

I thought it was a trick question for a second, until I realized you had a Ford swapped RX&.
grin.gif

Can't go wrong with VR1 there. It'll take any beating the 5.0 can throw out.

Classic oil (for "old style" cars)...or motocycle/ATV jaso MA/api SG oil...or SUTTO oil for tractors wich is GL4 speced...

All these oils have higher ZDDP pack...

Don't matter a lick now its worn in.
Those are weak springs with Mild cam from ford.
Stock ford cam right?

10w30 edge or use a motorcycle 4T dino for big ZDP if you want worry about nothing but fokelore.
These days seems Dexos 5w30 is thicker than I want most times ... it aint a 9.5KV 30 that's for sure.

If this is a stock 5.0L, it has pretty weak valve springs and would already be well broken in, which case any 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be more than adequate. If it is hopped up with an aftermarket cam, heads, intake....etc then that's a whole other situation.

Run quite a few Ford V-8's from the old flatty's through the Y Block era, to the FE motors to the later SBC/302's. Built and stock. Carb'd and EFI.

Unless you got crazy with the cam and springs, the HDEO is a very good oil choice. They all seem to work very well on that oil and last a l-o-n-g time
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sonofbumperbolt
QS Defy 5w-30.

Are you sure? I thought it changed. I used to use it in my Camaro but stopped after hearing that it changed.

Schaeffer 10w30 syn blend HDEO, from the last 3 used oil samples, average zinc of about 1425, phosphorus avg 1150, calcium avg 1200, magnesium avg 950, moly avg 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back