Oil for filter gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always used dirty oil from the drain pan on oil filter gaskets as well.

I don't know how true this is but in his book Ducati Desmoquattro Preventative Maintenance, Checks and Services Guide, LT Snyder states to always use old oil on the filter gasket. He claims that new oil tends to "glue" the gasket onto the crankcase.

Since i normally pre-fill the Filters, I usually get a bit of the new oil spilled on/around the gasket. makes it fairly easy to spread on around the gasket.

Don't you guys pour clean oil into the new filter? That is the way my filter gasket gets oiled.

Edit: early beat me by 16 seconds.

Last edited:
I have used both new and used motor oil for filter gaskets. No difference in install or removal of the filter. Never leaked either.

I only use new Harley Davidson 360 20w50 oil when oiling the gasket. It adds a little rumble to my cars via the gasket. And I only use new oil. Never ever old oil.
It increases my low end torque by miniscule amounts but my butt can tell the difference. And I never have a problem removing the filters.

Now on my Harley I lubricate the filter with 0w20 oils so that it starts good in the winter even while I use the 20w50 HD oils. Starts easy and quick. Just takes a few more seconds to flow. But since it stays in the garage I do not worry so much about the engine. And I live in AL and not Canada.

But in the end it really does not matter at all. At least make sure the old gasket comes off before you put on the new filter and turn it for about 3/4 turn after the gasket engages. Check for leaks after all is replaced and engine started. I bet your new filter will be ok with those few and simple checks.

However. If you are the anal type. Do an experiment and use both techniques. Report back to me if you have any leaks. I will be sure to not use your technique.

I have done oil changes for 42 years now. Dang that is hard to believe. Wow and the only, I repeat, only leak I ever had is because I did not tighten a spin on filter for 3/4 to a full turn for whatever brain cramp reason at the time. After I did tighten it a little more, wonder of all wonders, the leak stopped.

Anyway, somebody do me a favor and do an experiment and report back. I need another good chuckle.

I use only the finest extra virgin olive oil!

laugh.gif

Due to my OCD I like to wipe off the base plate and use the new oil I put into the new filter. I used to cringe when I worked at the oil change place and people would use dirty oil for the gasket.

I prefer Yak spit to get the right ft-lbs on the filter.

However, when that's not available, residual dirty oil from the area around the filter is sufficient.

Usually, I'm messy enough that the gasket area on the engine block, my hands, and a good portion of the driveway are already coated with the newly drained oil.

Oiling the new gasket is then only a matter of picking up the filter.

I find a Ow oil for the gasket helps with cold start-ups.
wink.gif

The only purpose oil on the gasket serves is making sure the gasket properly seals.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Dirty oil??? The Horror!!!
frown.gif

hahaha, I was thinking the same thing.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I always use whatever new oil is going into the sump.

+1

I always pre-fill the new filter, so just use some of the new oil that spills on the base plate while filling to coat the gasket.

I am glad that no one took the topic seriously, I was just performing the monthly sanity check on the BITOG crowd. But those people that use the old oil to lube the gasket should be branded as enemy combatants, ground into tiny pieces and blasted into the oblivion.

I heard that syn lubes help the gasket seal better, release easier, and save on time at the FCI ....

grin2.gif

Seriously? There must be nothing left to discuss; we've truly reached the end of the internet.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Seriously? There must be nothing left to discuss; we've truly reached the end of the internet.

Give it a day or two ... the internet never ends.
grin.gif

I use a little wheel bearing grease on the filter gasket. It usually allows the filter to be removed by hand. I learned that trick several years ago on the Dodge Forum.

^^^ Wheel bearing grease sounds like a good idea, might have to give that a try next time.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Wheel bearing grease sounds like a good idea, might have to give that a try next time.

Actually, to be more specific I used Amsoil synthetic multi-purpose grease from my grease gun. I just said 'wheel bearing grease' because that is a common name, but I've never used the stuff on wheel bearings. Really, I think you could lubricate an oil filter gasket with almost anything; WD-40, gear grease, bacon fat, whatever. But my point is that if you use something thicker like grease, the gasket is easier to remove a year down the road. In the past when I used oil on the gasket I invariably would need a wrench or big pliers to remove the filter. When I use grease I can usually remove it with just my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back