Oil for BMW 318i ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 1991 BMW 318i with M42B18

Max. temp over past year: 28 degree C
Min. temp over past year: -12 degree C

Usage: Lots of short trip to school, 80%city/20%Highway

I have been using Castrol GTX 10w-40 all year around for the car. Mainly because it was available at costco in 12L cases.

What brand and weight would you guys recommend for my condition ?

Hi,

I would stick with what you have been using - it is a good product

BMW suggests using that oil viscosity from -20C to 20C
Should you want to use a synthetic oil a 5w-40 would do the trick very well indeed

I have a MY98 Z3 2.8 and I use Delvac 1 5w-40

Regards

My 1992 BMW (Canada model) owners manual recommends 15W-40 for -20C to +30C, 10W-40 for -30C to +15C. These are dino oil specs. I am currently running 10W-40 Syntec. If you want to stay inexpensive, maybe a 15W-40 like Chevron Delo, which has worked well for me in the past.

Four cylinder BMW engines have a reputation for high oil consumption. How often do you add oil?

My engine burns no oil at all. I never had to add any oil to it.

What model is your '92 ?

I think a 5W-40 synthetic oil would be the way to go in your climate. If you can't find a 5W-40 motor oil than a good alternative in my opinion would be to use Castrol Syntec 5W-50.

If you are determined to use conventional oil than I would suggest using an API CI-4/SL 15W-40 conventional oil. The advantage of using an API CI-4/SL "diesel" oil as compared to a conventional passenger car motor oil are that there are more antiwear additives and also these oils have very high detergency and should keep your engine cleaner than a typical conventional oil.

[ March 23, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

I would recommend either the Syntec 5-50 or M-1 15-50 which my buddy just put in his `88 325e this past weekend and he's very pleased with how smooth the engine runs and picks-up especially on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back