oil for acura tl type s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My .02c worth (as a non expert, but still consider myself as an intelligent being)
and as an Acura owner and participant on an other TL discussion group.
It has been mentioned above that it is not recommended to stear away from your owners manual direction on the type of oil to use.
How is it that a '99-'00-'01 all recommend a 5W30 and all of a sudden the '02 + needs a 5w20...
confused.gif
--- when it is the SAME engine.....---- As I stated in an other current thread, I am still not convinced that 5W20 is the best protection for our high reving engine.
offtopic.gif
Just because some group has an agenda and pushes the right buttons in a political arena. So are they gonna be of any help when (me or you) has an engine/oil related failure ... I think not.
offtopic.gif

So as for the dealer (the experts)....
1st oil change was 5w20 Honda semi-synth.
2nd oil change - I asked for a synth.. they gave me a Valvoline 5w30.. didnt have any in stock .. they had to send a runner to get some.

3rd..+ I have been in charge.. and all are documented with receipts..
No, I am NOT an expert... just an informed consumer on a continual quest for information..( which is worse that an expert
grin.gif
)
Jean

There was a virgin oil anaylisis on here very recently of Honda's own 5W-20 oil and appeared to be very capable of providing the necessary protection. Very high moly content and its viscosity actually equaled that of a 30 wt oil and had a high TBN. I think the viscosity was actually the same as Mobil 1 5W-30. I think when Honda began to recommend 5W-20 in the manual, I'm pretty sure they meant it with reference to their oil. Personally, I would use ony 5W-20 oil from the dealer until other brands like Pennz, castrol, etc.. proved to be equal in protection and performance. With that said, any xW-30 would suffice otherwise.

Check out the Steve Bergin article I posted in the Interestig Articles section. He says viscosity has nothing to do with wear.
wink.gif

I'd run a synthetic 0w-30 or 5w-30 in one of these engines if I owned it. You want a bit more viscosity in the bearings to prevent wear under high load conditions; particularly in a hot climate. These Acura V-6 engines aren't the best wearing designs I've seen, based on the data posted on the maxima.org website.

Two years ago, Honda/Acura were recommending 5w-30 for these same motors. I have read some of the SAE papers that involve testing of 5w-20 oils in Japan and was not overly impressed with the results in terms of wear protection.

TooSlick

thanks guys! for 5k changes ill hit up mobil 1. but if i go 7500 mile changes ill use amsoil. i get a discount on amsoil products and redline so i wont be using tooo much money.

...u guys are a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back