Oil for a flathead Ford

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
A friend will be taking possession of his grandfather's 1953 flathead Ford V8. The car has very low miles on it (don't know how many, actually) as it was a summer car, stored in the colder months at the family's summer place in Idaho.

What engine oil would you recommend for its new life here in the San Francisco area?

OIP.TTxxrLQdO0EeKrY427URGwHaE8
Not a flat head Ford but he uses 10w-30 . 🤣

Several mfgs make oil for Classic vehicle, Redline, Amsoil are just 2. I would use those. Newer oils are design to meet latest vehicle specifications. And not stop up catalytic converters. Tolerances in older engines were not as tight, even when new. Valves were designed for leaded gas. Using lead free gas you will be replacing valves. I would use lead additive in gas, regardless of oil used. I use Redline High Performance 10w40 in my 66 Chevy C10.
Visit Redline & Amsoil website for oil suggestion for your vehicle. If your vehicle not listed contact them.

Last edited:
I would use a name brand 15w-40 weight oil.
This. In the summer. 10W30 if he bothers to change it for the winter, no worries if he doesn't. Stick with a diesel oil, to better handle the soot and contamination.

As sweet as some of the high end oils are, I wouldn't bother, unless he's racking up the miles. I would change it each year because of condensation in the crankcase, so, Rotella, for example, would be a great choice.

Pretty much anything will run fine in an old flathead, anything from Xw30 all the way Xw50, "classic car" oils shouldn't be necessary, those high zinc oils are pretty much meant for hot-rodded OHV engines with super stiff springs and very high lift cam lobes.

Flat head engines are low out put and low pressure engines , The oils they had back in the day were poop compared to any oil since the 1970s. Todays Straight 30 wt or 10W,15W-40 oils would be a 10,000 times better that the oils they had when new. I worked on forklifts and the older models had flathead engine and they were happy with Straight 30 in the bay area.

Post a picture! I love those old Fords. Not 100% certain but I’m thinking that was the last year for the flat head.
The car is still in Idaho, so no pics. Yes, 1953 was the last year the flathead appeared in a ford passenger car in the US. It may have been used in Canadian Fords through the 1954 model year.

Highly unlikely.

I know someone with a 1949 International with a flathead. I believe he uses a straight 30 grade. Unsure of the brand though.

I wonder if the Ford’s of that time still used babbit bearings? A mechanic who worked on that cornbinder told him to not use synthetic as it would loosen up all the sludge and whatever inside plus it was not advisable for babbit bearings which his International has.

I would be willing to bet the oil spec on a flathead ford was SAE30 for anything above freezing.

I don't think you have a filter? Wouldn't that mean he should try to run a conventional oil for better contaminant suspension?

I also would guess the oil pump at this point is getting a little weak, so I wouldn't go too heavy either in order to get things moving at startup. I would assume there not going to drive this hard or often?

So a good conventional SAE30 or maybe 15w40 high detergent?

I know someone with a 1949 International with a flathead. I believe he uses a straight 30 grade. Unsure of the brand though.

I wonder if the Ford’s of that time still used babbit bearings? A mechanic who worked on that cornbinder told him to not use synthetic as it would loosen up all the sludge and whatever inside plus it was not advisable for babbit bearings which his International has.
I don't think they had babbit bearings - at least the newer versions. Still I think your recommendation is sound - I wouldn't pour syn in to that thing. You want something that swells the seals. I am pretty sure the main seal on one of those is still a roll your own rope type seal?

I would be willing to bet the oil spec on a flathead ford was SAE30 for anything above freezing.

I don't think you have a filter? Wouldn't that mean he should try to run a conventional oil for better contaminant suspension?

I also would guess the oil pump at this point is getting a little weak, so I wouldn't go too heavy either in order to get things moving at startup. I would assume there not going to drive this hard or often?

So a good conventional SAE30 or maybe 15w40 high detergent?
What about 10W40 Maxlife, Pennzoil HM, or Quakerstate HM.

Back