Oil for 72 Corvette

I get the privilege of changing oils in a few of the family’s sports cars over the holidays. One of them is 72 corvette stingray with the 350 in it. Oil change history is… not good. It runs well but it’s been several years since it’s been changed, and unknown what oil. I was going to go with valvoline max life syn 10w-30 but is there any reason not to? Not sure if they’re syn blend would be a better fit. I doubt synthetic has ever been run through this. I was also going to pair it with an acdelco pf454 filter to keep it simple.

I get the privilege of changing oils in a few of the family’s sports cars over the holidays. One of them is 72 corvette stingray with the 350 in it. Oil change history is… not good. It runs well but it’s been several years since it’s been changed, and unknown what oil. I was going to go with valvoline max life syn 10w-30 but is there any reason not to? Not sure if they’re syn blend would be a better fit. I doubt synthetic has ever been run through this. I was also going to pair it with an acdelco pf454 filter to keep it simple.
Are you in a winter climate? Or is this car summer only

I would try and learn more about the engine. Is it the original? Is it rebuilt?
1972 was the 1st year for reduced compression ratios.
If the engine uses a flat tappet camshaft, valve spring pressue may dictate the use of an elevated zinc oil.
Here is the new Castrol oil I really like: Castrol Classic Oil

Wally World has it.
If the oil change has been neglected, I might consider a short OCI with Shell Rotella T for its cleaning properties.

Enjoy the Vette! Here's mine:
68 side.jpg

If the engine uses a flat tappet camshaft, valve spring pressue may dictate the use of an elevated zinc oil.

Wally World has it.
If the oil change has been neglected, I might consider a short OCI with Shell Rotella T for its cleaning properties.

View attachment 81536
I do know it’s all original. I’ve driven it before it’s pretty fun to drive. Not as powerful as I would have thought though.

I do know it’s all original. I’ve driven it before it’s pretty fun to drive. Not as powerful as I would have thought though.
I would tun the Castrol stuff. Perfect for that car.
I would love to see some pics. '72 was a great year, last year for the bumper cars. I almost bought a perfect '72 small block Roadster. Dang!

I would tun the Castrol stuff. Perfect for that car.
I would love to see some pics. '72 was a great year, last year for the bumper cars. I almost bought a perfect '72 small block Roadster. Dang!
Yeah I think I’m gonna do the other cars first then the corvette so I can see if there’s a manual with it. Yes it was the last year for the chrome bumpers. I’ll grab a pic of it when I get the chance. The one thing I remember when driving it was the clutch is STIFF!!!

10W-30 Penn Grade 1/Brad Penn, Driven conventional, Valvoline VR-1, Schaeffer’s Racing oil. The Penn Grade and the Schaefer’s are syn blends. 5W-30 or 10W-40 if you prefer but not 20W-50. No need for full synthetic but change it every year. I prefer Wix but any good filter will do. I know where a nice 72 is for sale.

PYB Is still way better than "almost" anything that was around in 1972. Id use this with confidence. I think Castrol has a new vintage car semi synthetic that has recently come out as well.

I would go with M1 10-40 High Mileage, it is a good oil and has a bit more ZDDP in it for an engine od that age. OCI's at 5,000 would be good too.
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 has been updated by Mobil recently and has 900ppm zinc & 800ppm phosphorus. It no longer has "a bit more" as it did a few years ago.

Mobil 1 0W-40 has 1100ppm zinc & 1000 phosphorus.

Last edited:

Wally World has it.

View attachment 81536
Pretty!

Back