Oil for 2017 Honda Civic Type-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: kschachn
This is a common sentiment and statement on here but one that really isn't supported by any facts as far as I've seen. I wouldn't suppose that all VII additives are similar and I don't think there is any evidence that anyone who uses a 0W-40 oil is experiencing "a bit more engine wear". There's no indication that is happening is there?

Is there any readily available test that conclusively shows that a viscosity decrease is due to shearing as opposed to fuel dilution?

It gets a little complicated when you're looking at a wide "spread" oil like a 0W40, as the maker might have to use a heavy dose of Viscosity Index Improver (VII) additives that can shear (temporarily or permanently) in operation and result in a lower viscosity and minimum film thickness when hot. Because of this, it is often recommended to use oils that are thicker at low temp when you don't experience cold temperatures in your area...if you're in Florida or South Texas, maybe use a 10W30 instead of 0W30. It seems that the use of good synthetic base stocks can allow 5W20 and 10W30 oils to be made with no VIIs and those oils can be expected to be especially resistant to shear.
Of course, plenty of people use 0W40 oils in warm climates with no problems. You just might be getting a bit more engine wear in a warm place due to what it takes to make the oil work well at extreme cold, and that cold performance isn't even buying you anything.

My memory is that Shannow posted some really good graphs from studies on this topic. It would take me forever to track them down and I'm hoping that he might see this and save me here! I might be able to search more later tonight, but I'm not completely sure the thread involved even started off with the discussion of VIIs.

It's also quite likely that I misremembered and/or misunderstood and am completely full of it. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I would very happy to switch from 5W30 to 0W30 if I didn't lose in NOACK performance and LSPI resistance as a result...the prospect of extra VIIs in the oil wouldn't be a big concern for me.

I did manage to find this from Oronite...

https://www.oronite.com/paratone/calcviscosity.aspx

Originally Posted By: newbe46
What I meant is that if the engine is not transferring a great amount of heat to the oil, the oil should have a correct value of viscosity.

The only time the oil has the correct viscosity is when the engine and the oil are at normal operating temperature (and you're using the appropriate oil). Any other time it isn't correct and the engine is making do with what it is given.

and here my wife uses walmart supertach 5-30 synthetic in her civic. 130K and it's runnin great....

My memory is that Shannow posted some really good graphs from studies on this topic. It would take me forever to track them down and I'm hoping that he might see this and save me here! I might be able to search more later tonight, but I'm not completely sure the thread involved even started off with the discussion of VIIs.

It's also quite likely that I misremembered and/or misunderstood and am completely full of it. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I would very happy to switch from 5W30 to 0W30 if I didn't lose in NOACK performance and LSPI resistance as a result...the prospect of extra VIIs in the oil wouldn't be a big concern for me.

I found some likely posts in which Shannow's charts were gone because of the Photobucket changes.
Hopefully Shannow himself might take note and chime in here, I'd certainly appreciate his expertise!

Wow, this thread has blown up lol
shocked.gif
Anyhow, I see quite varying opinions, especially with respect to the tracking aspect. This is my primary daily driver, track will be
As the manual states 0W-20 (even for CTR), I would prefer keep it 0W-20 as I don't wanna take any chances should any warranty issue arise. I saw multiple recommendations for Redline 0W-20 here, and quite a lot of recommendations for Amsoil SS 0W-20 on the CivicX forum I'm on, how do they compare?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
This is tough. For warranty reason I'd say go with what they say you need. Sounds like 0w20. That said, as others are saying I would think this car needs some 0w30. I'm not normally one to jump on the higher visc wagon, but this car is pushing roughly 153 horsepower per liter. I've seen some reports of the coolant spiking during track use as well. If the coolant temp is getting hot, the oil certainly is. I've kept a pretty close eye on this car as I've thought for awhile about getting one. I loved my Civic Si and regretted selling it.

I'd also be surprised if the built in mileage minder calculates all that different from a standard civic, but its possible. My Si would say 10% remaining at 6k miles like you mentioned.

Post some pics of that beast!

Ask and you shall receive
grin.gif

I'd pick the Redline over the Amsoil, but both are great. Can't go wrong with either. If memory serves me right, the Redline is a bit thicker, which will help with dilution.

Keep in mind that neither Redline nor Amsoil SS are not API certified and manual calls for certified oils only. Doesn't stop me from using Amsoil SS in my Civic hatchback lol

Originally Posted By: Killer223
and here my wife uses walmart supertach 5-30 synthetic in her civic. 130K and it's runnin great....
Which civic is it? Naturally aspirated? Or the turbo? If I had the 1.5T civic - Supertech synthetic 5w30 would be considered, but I'd never get it because the top shelf synthetics can be had for even cheaper on Christmas oil sales...

Stashes. Oil stashes everywhere.
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: iLovePho
Wow, this thread has blown up lol
shocked.gif
Anyhow, I see quite varying opinions, especially with respect to the tracking aspect. This is my primary daily driver, track will be
As the manual states 0W-20 (even for CTR), I would prefer keep it 0W-20 as I don't wanna take any chances should any warranty issue arise. I saw multiple recommendations for Redline 0W-20 here, and quite a lot of recommendations for Amsoil SS 0W-20 on the CivicX forum I'm on, how do they compare?

Operating with a non API approved oil is far more risky than upgrading viscosity in the event of a warranty claim.

This is tough. For warranty reason I'd say go with what they say you need. Sounds like 0w20. That said, as others are saying I would think this car needs some 0w30. I'm not normally one to jump on the higher visc wagon, but this car is pushing roughly 153 horsepower per liter. I've seen some reports of the coolant spiking during track use as well. If the coolant temp is getting hot, the oil certainly is. I've kept a pretty close eye on this car as I've thought for awhile about getting one. I loved my Civic Si and regretted selling it.

I'd also be surprised if the built in mileage minder calculates all that different from a standard civic, but its possible. My Si would say 10% remaining at 6k miles like you mentioned.

grin.gif

That is a seriously AWESOME car!!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: parshisa
is this statement based on your previous experience?

would take very little effort to see neither of those oils are API certified and in that light they can claim whatever they like about the content of their product, no benchmarks, no standards, no oversite the content could change from bottle to bottle...most builder specs start with 'API Certified' motor oil.

grin.gif

That's one sexy ride. I saw one in the dealer showroom last week with all the body kit and aero. Part of me wants to put down the deposit.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I'd use Mobil 1 0W-20 Extended Performance with it's higher PAO content...

ditto. The price for the Honda oil is crazy. You could change the M1 oil twice as much and still pay less than half the honda oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back