Oil for 2004 Volvo XC 70

Just purchased a 2004 Volvo XC 70 with 155K
Current oil unknown but viscosity is 0-20 according to the oil change sticker.

Manual states "car was certified to standard using ILSAC oil specification GF 2 , 5W -30 oil" (low HTHS (≤ 3.5cP)
All oil specs in the owner's manaual are a bit out of date given 2004 is nearly 20 years ago

I found the recommendations in the manual rather confusing. Maybe my lack of understanding. For example, for severe operating conditions they recommend 10-30 for both extreme COLD and hot conditions ( i would have thought a 0W oil would be best for sever cold )
Please comment on this
Also is a 0W -30 oil best for cold starts than 0W -40? And if so why?

I was thinking of just using Mobil 1 0W 40 FS
Are there any downsides at all apart from fuel economy?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 6.04.50 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 6.04.50 PM.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 44
My local friends run 10-30 or 5-30 all year around here. The 5 cylinder engine is not picky about brand.

Some do 3K oil changes others yearly.

Please inspect the PCV hose next to the oil cap, look just below the fuel rail if you see ribs or ring: The hose is probably broken just below the fuel rail. It leads to the top of the oil separator

Thanks to both

I have some reading to do
I put a fuel receipt on the oil filler cap with the engine running and it sucked it in, so probably PCV ok but will do a visual check.

I bought it cheap to run it for a few months but looks like it will just keep on running.
A boat to drive but one forgives almost everything on a car that runs.
Never realized what a folllowing Volvo had

Dude the manual literally says 5W-30 for normal use and 10W-30 for hot climate. I have S60 from same era and i use 5W-30 oil. Don`t use 0W oil, i tried that and my engine burned more oil. 5W-30 is probably the best all around viscosity for those cars.

Thanks to both

I have some reading to do
I put a fuel receipt on the oil filler cap with the engine running and it sucked it in, so probably PCV ok but will do a visual check.

I bought it cheap to run it for a few months but looks like it will just keep on running.
A boat to drive but one forgives almost everything on a car that runs.
Never realized what a folllowing Volvo had
The PCV test you performed only works at idle. There is a check valve in the manifold, and an alternate routing to the intake pipe just upstream of the turbo. That long pipe often gets plugged up. The only decent solution is all new Volvo parts.

I just replaced a 50,000 mile Uro PCV pipe - on a 2.5 5 cylinder turbo (the XC90, but same engine and systems) - it was completely cracked and had broken, so, I cannot recommend any PCV system parts other than Volvo.

If you're thinking long term, it's a good car. My wife's XC has 295,000 miles on it. The thread I linked was to a 300,000 mile example.

Dude the manual literally says 5W-30 for normal use and 10W-30 for hot climate. I have S60 from same era and i use 5W-30 oil. Don`t use 0W oil, i tried that and my engine burned more oil. 5W-30 is probably the best all around viscosity for those cars.

Ignore this advice.

Go pick yourself up a jug of M1 0w40 and be very happy with your selection.

These are the recommendations from the Amsoil website :

0W-30, 0W-40 (Below 40) - Synthetic SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-40 oils are recommended for driving in extreme temperatures (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and when driving in mountainous areas.
5W-30 (-35 To 40) - SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
5W-40 (-25 To 40)

Not sure how to interpret the numbers inside the brackets !

Kebabaluba.....how could the 0W affect consumption ?

These are the recommendations from the Amsoil website :

0W-30, 0W-40 (Below 40) - Synthetic SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-40 oils are recommended for driving in extreme temperatures (hot or cold), when towing a trailer over long distances, and when driving in mountainous areas.
5W-30 (-35 To 40) - SAE 5W-30 is preferred.
5W-40 (-25 To 40)

Not sure how to interpret the numbers inside the brackets !

Kebabaluba.....how could the 0W affect consumption ?
I believe those numbers in the brackets are outside temperature measured in Celsius, -35 to 40c is -35 to 104 fahrenheit. And as you see once again it says SAE 5W-30 is preferred at those temps.
When i tried 0W-30 instead of 5W-30 i noticed it burned more oil with minimal to none MPG gain. That is because in europe 0W-30 oils usually carry ACEA A5/B5 ratings and 5W-30 oils carry ACEA A3/B3/B4. Difference between ACEA A5/B5 and ACEA A3/B3 is HTHS values, A3/B3 should have HTHS 3.5 mPa*s at minimum and A5/B5 up to 3.5 mPa*s. That is why i had higher oil consumption, HTHS values was lower with 0W-30 oil.

"The A/B class's A5/B5 oils have lower HTHS viscosities, which means that they provide better fuel economy but they may not provide adequate protection in engines that are not designed for them. ACEA A3/B3 and A3/B4 on the other hand require oils with higher HTHS viscosities that may not provide as good fuel economy as an A5/B5 oil but may offer better engine protection in certain engine designs."

I believe those numbers in the brackets are outside temperature measured in Celsius, -35 to 40c is -35 to 104 fahrenheit. And as you see once again it says SAE 5W-30 is preferred at those temps.
When i tried 0W-30 instead of 5W-30 i noticed it burned more oil with minimal to none MPG gain. That is because in europe 0W-30 oils usually carry ACEA A5/B5 ratings and 5W-30 oils carry ACEA A3/B3/B4. Difference between ACEA A5/B5 and ACEA A3/B3 is HTHS values, A3/B3 should have HTHS 3.5 mPa*s at minimum and A5/B5 up to 3.5 mPa*s. That is why i had higher oil consumption, HTHS values was lower with 0W-30 oil.
OK
So nothing to do with 0w itself
Mobil 1 0W-40 has a high HTHS correct?

0w20 is too thin for this engine IMO. Get it out.

I also second the 0w40. Been running it in my wife’s S60 (per Astro’s recommendation) since 2015. FCP Euro has good prices on Mann and Mahle oil filters and crush washers for the drain plug.. PCV components too. They have so much of my money. Lol

The Mobil 1 0W40 is an excellent choice. ACEA A3/B4. MB 229.5. Reasonable price.

I’ve got a solid UOA on a 2002 Volvo with that oil.

That Volvo is still on the road in Utah with my daughter. 215,000 miles. Engine is clean inside.

Doesn’t burn a drop.

You won’t see any measurable change in MPG with it.

When you’re ready, let’s talk angle gear oil and transmission fluid exchange.

The Mobil 1 0W40 is an excellent choice. ACEA A3/B4. MB 229.5. Reasonable price.

I’ve got a solid UOA on a 2002 Volvo with that oil.

That Volvo is still on the road in Utah with my daughter. 215,000 miles. Engine is clean inside.

Doesn’t burn a drop.

You won’t see any measurable change in MPG with it.

When you’re ready, let’s talk angle gear oil and transmission fluid exchange.
I thought you are blasting that Volvo here in the mountains or that is different one?

OP, go what Astro is saying. You can’t make mistake there. Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.

I thought you are blasting that Volvo here in the mountains or that is different one?

OP, go what Astro is saying. You can’t make mistake there. Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.
The “Colorado Volvo” is a 2004 V70R.

Slightly different than the OPs XC. Same basic engine, tweaked for 300 HP vs. 210. Six speed manual vs. five speed auto. Bigger brakes. Same AWD system. Same chassis. Lots of commonality.

The Volvo set, and their oil fill, is in my signature. Clearly, I’m a fan.

The XC-90 will get HPL Euro 0W30 this week. The 2001 V70T5 is due for a change. I still have a case of AMSOIL 0W30 Signature series. Might as well keep it on the same fill.

@felixthecat - all the oils you see in my Volvos, which are all the same engine as yours, are an ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.5 with solid HTHS. The AMSOIL, HPL, and Mobil 1 are all very close in HTHS. Can’t go wrong with any of them. But the Mobil 1 is cheap at Walmart, or on Amazon, so, it’s a great place to start.

Last edited:
Literally buy cheapest anything API SN(+) with ACEA A3/B4 0W or 5W-40.
Your Volvo wont mind, just change before 8-10k miles

If you are chasing MPG try 30 oil.

The “Colorado Volvo” is a 2004 V70R.

Slightly different than the OPs XC. Same basic engine, tweaked for 300 HP vs. 210. Six speed manual vs. five speed auto. Bigger brakes. Same AWD system. Same chassis. Lots of commonality.

The Volvo set, and their oil fill, is in my signature. Clearly, I’m a fan.

The XC-90 will get HPL Euro 0W30 this week. The 2001 V70T5 is due for a change. I still have a case of AMSOIL 0W30 Signature series. Might as well keep it on the same fill.

@felixthecat - all the oils you see in my Volvos, which are all the same engine as yours, are an ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.5 with solid HTHS. The AMSOIL, HPL, and Mobil 1 are all very close in HTHS. Can’t go wrong with any of them. But the Mobil 1 is cheap at Walmart, or on Amazon, so, it’s a great place to start.
Ah OK, I can't catch up with your Vovlo's :)

Back