Oil for 1990 Lotus Esprit Turbo SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rotaryspeed
The oiltemp gauge rarely climbs over 70 deg celsius. While now I dont know where the sensor is positioned and I also dont know if its still working correctly but as said it usually sits between 60-70deg celsius.

60-70C sounds unusually low. Is it normal for this engine? What temp does it reach when you drive it like it was meant to be driven?

Try the M1 0w40 and see what your oil pressure is like. Try and find the specs for the recommended amount from lotus, and tailor the viscosity from there.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I would try an OCI with Mobil 1 HM 10W40...

The whole M1 HM lineup does not exist in Europe where the OP is.

They have a product called "Extended Life", which may be a similar concept to HM, as it is targeted towards older engines, and the only grade they have in that is 10w-60.

XOM does sell some Mobil Super 10w-40 products in Europe though.

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-super.aspx

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The oiltemp gauge rarely climbs over 70 deg celsius. While now I dont know where the sensor is positioned and I also dont know if its still working correctly but as said it usually sits between 60-70deg celsius.

60-70C sounds unusually low. Is it normal for this engine? What temp does it reach when you drive it like it was meant to be driven?

With oil temps not over 70C you could run a 0W-20 and it would still likely be two heavy.
It's the reason I can run a 0W-20 in my Caterham
That's spec's for 5W-50 and I still see considerably higher oil temps than what you're seeing.

I'd some research into what oil temp's are typical on a normally driven car and also whether the oil cooler is thermostatically controlled. If still is maybe the tstat is defective?
I would think you want your oil temp's at least into the 80C range. If everything checks out as normal I'd then consider covering the oil cooler
to see if that brings your oil temp's up.
In the meantime I'd run a 5W-30 synthetic which will still be heavier than necessary unless you can get your oil Temp's well above 100C.

@Quattro Pete:
We have liters, the sump should be around 5.5 liters. When I floor it the oil temp usually goes up to 75 deg C, rarely to 80. Water temp around 85 and 90 if I floor it for a little longer. However it does get hot when sitting in traffic, then it goes up to the same temps as if I were running a hot lap
smile.gif

@Quarterliter:
I think I might go with 0W-40 M1 and see how it behaves. Its not hot here at all, in summer we rarely crack 35 deg C. Usually between 25 deg C and 30. Winter of course goes down to - 20 deg C. - 10 deg C is about average then.

Yes we have the extended life version of the M1.

Oh, I have 1 1987 and 1 1986 2nd gen RX7 NA. Worked on 3rd and 2nd gen turbos too.

@Caterham:
I will look into that, oil cooler should be thermostatically cooled, but I will do some research to be sure.

In your climate, a 0W40 A3 rated oil would likely be the best option, especially considering the winter start-up temps. If that is not enough protection, a bump up to 5W50 should do the trick.

Lovely car. Superlative handling.

Almost bought one back in the day, until I sat in it and found my knees hitting my chin.

Unless tracking, I think M1 0w-40 or any of the usual European synthetic 5w-40s will be fine in that one, and you'll get an earlier turbo rush to boot.

On the track, I'd stick with a 50 or better. IIRC, that turbo runs on the hotter side.

I wouldn't add anything to the oil for cleaning, and especially not a solvent. Perhaps one or two short changes on a 5w-40 HDEO.

Best of luck with it.

@il_signore97:
That sounds like a plan
smile.gif

@Volvohead:
They are small inside ! Me being 1,77 m / 55 Kg I must admit I rather fit snuggly inside
smile.gif

Besides that I gave it some serious pedal, oil temps never went higher than 70 deg C. 10 deg C outside ambient. I felt like the Lotus was laughing at me ...
frown.gif
Didn't even unlock full boost ... (Now I understand why I only get full boost occasionally, ECU limits boost to 0,5 bar until engine reaches operating temp)

When I let it sit at idle, gauge rises a tad over 70 deg C and then I get full boost until the air cools it back down.

Does anyone know or have a link to the bearing clearances in this engine and the metallurgy as far as the pistons go.
I'm assuming the pistons are forged which means they should be a bit loose in the cylinder until the engine is hot.
I just can't wrap my head around oil temps of 70C and a 60 grade.
Heck a 20 grade is pretty thick at 70C,so unless this engine is built ultra loose I just don't get it.
Now I can completely understand using a 60 grade on a track doing laps and getting the oil so hot you can smell it vapourize however I just don't understand using a 60 grade with oil temps of 70 Celsius.

Well, it sounds like he has a problem if the temps are so low that the ECU doesn't even allow him to go into full boost. Something's not right.

Wasn't the Esprit one of the first cars to have digital format shop manual? If I remember right, lotus switched to publishing the shop manual on cd-rom since it became prohibitively expensive to actually print the multi-volume shop manual on paper.. That was early to mid nineties maybe? I think the manual was almost half a set of encyclopedias or something!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OP is in Luxemburg. Pretty sure they don't have quarts and gallons over there. Rotella, M1 HM, M1 TDT appear to be North American products only.

And don't get me started about Mobil container sizes in Canada.
wink.gif

Rotaryspeed, is there any way to confirm those low oil temperatures? I'm not doubting you, but I doubted the low readings on my Audi, then I tested the calibration of the oil temperature sensor, which was, indeed correct. Or, check the oil cooler.

60-70 C is low, but not necessarily impossibly low. It is quite a bit low, though, if one is using a heavy oil.

^I agree. There's likely a problem either with the sensor itself (not accurate) or with the oil cooler system (thermostatic control valve failed or removed/disabled by previous owner). I'd do some research into that so that the car doesn't prevent you from using full boost on a fully warmed engine.

Apparently oil temp gauge sitting around 70 to 80 deg seems normal for this car. Other owners report about same temps. Coolant gauge sitting at 80 deg seems normal too. I think this is due to the placement of the sensors, still trying to find where they are placed. Shop manuals are hard to find and no competent dealer around (not that I ever had a competent dealer or shop) you gotta do your own thing.

I need to top off the oil today, will see what there is in stock for M1. Will get my hangar next week so I can do my own oil changes.

Apparently oil temp gauge sitting around 70 to 80 deg seems normal for this car. Other owners report about same temps.

Do other owners also report not being able to access full boost?

I think you noted that your temps were even lower - 60-70C.

Will do.

BTW, yesterday the chargecooler (air to water intercooler) pump stopped working. So now I get ultra high intake temps post turbo. Its an easy fix, the pump impeller detoriated, its a service item but sometimes it gets "forgotten" ...

Yes it sometimes happens they dint get full boost, usually a mechanical fault (wastegate setting) or the ECU not allowing full boost due to electrical gremlins who knows. I can sort that out once I get the right cable to connect my PC to the ECU and interrogate the ECU.

My temps are indeed around 60 deg when cruising and when seriously pushing it goes to 70 maybe 75, hard to tell the gauge is not that precise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back