Oil for 14 Silverado 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All, I normally take my 14 Silverado for a oil change,once a year. I put maybe two thousand a year on it.
It does sit sometimes for two weeks at a time,especially during winter. Im a old [censored] and don't drive that much,
especially in the winter. Anyway want is a good oil for me to use that is Dexos compatible? I will use a
ac delco filter.
Thanks

My advice is to go down to Walmart and pick any of the name brand f, ull synthetic , Dexos 5W-30 oils . Especially one on sale and / or with favorable rebate .

I made the mistake of assuming . Our Buick & Chevy Sonic spec 5W-30 , so I assumed your vehicle would also . Sorry . :-(

But I doubt it would matter , especially in the summer . Might in the winter ? Sounds like you may not put a lot of highway miles on it .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
My advice is to go down to Walmart and pick any of the name brand f, ull synthetic , Dexos 0W-20 oils . Especially one on sale and / or with favorable rebate .

There I fixed it for you.

If it were mine I'd do a Wix WL10255 or Napa Gold FIL 100255 instead of the AC Delco. Otherwise carry on as suggested by WyrTwister.

Happy Motoring!

Wix, Napa Gold or Fram Tough Guard filter instead Jim. Better option than today's version of AC Delco, which lacks from pre-2007.
Any SN Dexos oil will work with your mileage and length of service, even conventional oil.
Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Valvoline have been around a long-long time. 5W30 will even be fine in the NY winter.

Originally Posted by jims5600
Thanks Twister. The manual calls for 0w20,that seems awful thin to me

I agree on the thin thing for no more than you drive it and would use 5w30. For the money I don't think you could get any better than the Magnatec unless you use a rebate, less than $20 at wally.

It takes 8 quarts correct? If so just buy Napa syn when it's on sale. Messing around with 5 qt jugs for a single oil change isn't worth the time to me. Plus you will pay 7-8 dollars a qt syn for single qts. Neither is messing with rebates. So I would just buy 8 single qts on sale.

Last edited:
Im watching this thread carefully. I have a 12 suburban with the same engine and after doing some research and reading up on these engines, I have a few concerns. Many people have large puffs of smoke upon start up, after they get 100K mile or more they can start using oil at a higher rate, and many complain of ticking lifters. Mine has 160K miles and so far is pretty solid. I do hear my driver side lifters tick at idle and hot but not excessively. I believe that oil burning and ticking lifters can be traced back to the AFM system. I have read about people actually deleting the AFM or some buy the disabling chip to keep it in V8 mode. I have read that some people have had good luck running flushes before they drain the oil to keep the lifters cleaned out. Some have claimed that running liqui Moly MOS2 helps quiet them down.

My truck had Valvoline 5w30 in it when i bought it at 150K plus on the engine. I did notice the tick from the drivers side. I changed it out with valvoline 5w30 and it seemed to quiet down but after a couple thousand miles it seemed to be coming back. As an experiment, I ran some Delvac 15w40 in it and it very much quieted down the tick to the point that i don't think it is even there anymore. I don't have enough miles on the oil to see if it will return or not. My concern is that these trucks have a high flow oil pump and i definately see my oil pressure being higher with the 40 weight. I would be a little concerned about that if i were in a cold area or even in my area in the winter.

I'll be the first to admit that i don't fully understand the issue but it seems like it may be a real concern. Im curious to if one oil could be better or worse for this issue. I'm thinking a 30W or light 40 weight synthetic, changed regularly and choose something that has a decent amount of moly in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back