Oil Filters for Toyota & Lexus

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by dnastrau
I bought a couple of Mahle OX414D1 cartridge filters for our 2010 Lexus RX350 from Rock Auto very reasonably a few months back. They were made in Austria and seem to be very well made: ...
How efficient are those?

I looked on the Mahle website but I do not see an efficiency rating:

https://catalog.mahle-aftermarket.com/na/product.xhtml?eid=571329#divider

I will use these with confidence or the factory Lexus/Toyota elements as either one is high quality.

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by dnastrau
I bought a couple of Mahle OX414D1 cartridge filters for our 2010 Lexus RX350 from Rock Auto very reasonably a few months back. They were made in Austria and seem to be very well made: ...
How efficient are those?

I cannot go wrong with Mahle, ever. They are not promising anything, they just make really good filters.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
The OE Toyota filter promises 10K life, costs $5 at the dealer and meets every spec...

Local Toyota here has often 3 for $12.

I've bought OE Toyota cartridges at Walmart as well...not sure if carried in every store but mine does. Cheap and I can take a look in the box first which is always a plus.

On all the different cartridges for Toyota there is a lip on the base ends. The more it intrudes into the center the more gap there is between the media and center tube. The genuine Toyota fits as well as possible. It may be an issue, it may not, but normally media is close to the center tube on all oil filters tto prevent the media from bending inward.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
On all the different cartridges for Toyota there is a lip on the base ends. The more it intrudes into the center the more gap there is between the media and center tube. The genuine Toyota fits as well as possible. It may be an issue, it may not, but normally media is close to the center tube on all oil filters tto prevent the media from bending inward.
Right. That "lip" seems to be unavoidable with end-cap cartridges, except the few that have built-in center tube. Another drawback of the lip is that it results in reduced media area.

I bought filters also from Conticelli for my 2107 Camry with the 2.5lt. My filters look like the K&N of course not pink in color. No end caps like your other two pictured. Even the factory filter removed from the first oil change had no end caps. You sure you got the correct replacements?

Originally Posted by Armkb
...No end caps like your other two pictured. Even the factory filter removed from the first oil change had no end caps. You sure you got the correct replacements?
Cartridges can fit and function properly either with or without end caps.

Back