Oil Filters for Toyota & Lexus

Today I received a Fram CH9972 oil filter from Amazon. It was only $4.79 but I was disappointed to see it was made in China. The photo here shows the Fram on the left, the Full equivalent (made in Thailand) in the middle and the K&N equivalent (made in Korea) on the right.

I'm no fan of K&N but it appears to be the best looking of the three. Any thoughts?

CamryOilFilters.jpg

Supposedly the Fram filter will have the "best" media of the three. They are promising 10k drain intervals with better efficiency than OE.

With that said, I can buy 10-pks of OE filters shipped (with washers) for under $40 so I rarely use aftermarket for this application.

The OE Toyota filter promises 10K life, costs $5 at the dealer and meets every spec...

My thoughts are we need to use OEM Toyota/Lexus filters purchased from a dealer. Or follow racer44's advice when buying online.

I just ordered two of the XG9972 from Amazon for my wife's es350 and both boxes said made in the USA and both filters were stamped made in the USA. IDK....
21.gif

I wouldn't choose a filter by the one that "looks the best". For a cartridge filter, I'd be more concerned about how it fits in the engine, and then the performance specs.

That's a cool color red
smile.gif

You should've stocked up on Napa Platinum. They were on sale for $5.99 last month. The Platinum cartridge filters are mostly made in Poland (the spin-on cans are made in the US)

I try to avoid made in China. The Frams made in China should cost half of made in USA and Europe products . I guess the consumer doesn't mind being raped.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I just ordered two of the XG9972 ... and both boxes said made in the USA and both filters were stamped made in the USA.
Assuming they source that size similar to the smaller but otherwise very similar __10358 size I use... Yes, the XG is made in USA, the TG is made in China, and the CH seems to alternate between USA and China. Construction of the Chinese CH10358 appears identical to that of the TG10358, except for the media, and looks similar to the CH9972 in NormanBuntz's photograph. Construction (including end caps) of the US-made CH10358 appears identical to Walmart's ST10358, although the media may differ.

I bought a couple of Mahle OX414D1 cartridge filters for our 2010 Lexus RX350 from Rock Auto very reasonably a few months back. They were made in Austria and seem to be very well made:

[Linked Image]

Andrew S.

Originally Posted by dnastrau
I bought a couple of Mahle OX414D1 cartridge filters for our 2010 Lexus RX350 from Rock Auto very reasonably a few months back. They were made in Austria and seem to be very well made:

[Linked Image]

Andrew S.

01.gif

This is what I'd use on a Toyota, except when the Napa Platinum is on sale (like they were last month)

Originally Posted by dnastrau
I bought a couple of Mahle OX414D1 cartridge filters for our 2010 Lexus RX350 from Rock Auto very reasonably a few months back. They were made in Austria and seem to be very well made: ...
How efficient are those?

Back