Oil filters for lawn mower engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember that MOST lawn mowers with a filter just pump the oil, run it through the filter and then it drops back down into the sump. With a few exceptions, the oil is usually not pressure fed to the bearings.
If the filter passes oil, it will work.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If you want excellent filters for your OPE and you want to eliminate the guesswork, the Baldwin and Hastings web sites have good application tools to look up your particular equipment.

Interesting...I have never heard of Baldwin or Hastings.

Using a Motorcraft FL400S on my 22HP Kohler twin cylinder powered Cub Cadet. Change once a year and been using this same filter size for at least 4 years. The 400S is slightly larger than the original Kohler filter and it takes exactly 2 quarts to fill her up.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultras

FRAMites
crazy.gif

The answer to every question...

What do you want for breakfast this morning?

FRAM Ultra

Please stop being so disrespectful to everyone who like Ultras.

I like Ultras.

I have 5 or 6 for my Camry.

But even you have to admit a $9 double layer synthetic element oil filter is not the best recommendation for a Briggs and Stratton engined lawn mower.

Let's keep it real and stop selling FRAM Ultras.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
If you want excellent filters for your OPE and you want to eliminate the guesswork, the Baldwin and Hastings web sites have good application tools to look up your particular equipment.

+1 here.

Great advice Norman.

Let's keep it real and stop selling FRAM Ultras.

How about keeping it real and let people make up their own minds and stop putting down a filter that many people consider very good, and a good value. If people want to buy them what's that to you ... are you paying for them? Didn't think so.

And you sir need to read your own post when it comes to other capable non-FRAM filters.

I'm clearly not on the FRAM marketing team here on BITOG.

And you sir need to read your own post when it comes to other capable non-FRAM filters.

I'm clearly not on the FRAM marketing team here on BITOG.

For example? Quote me up. I rarely even mention the Ultra ... far less than many other members here, yet you don't have any harassing comments to make towards them ... why is that?

Just because I don't like tearing Purolators anymore you have some kind of vendetta going on it seems. Quote me up ... I really would like to see what you "see". I've made good comments about a lot of other brand filters, but not Purolators for obvious reasons - just like 98% of the members here. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

BTW - people here are not on the "Fram marketing team" just because they think Ultras are a great filter and say why. Is there a law against that? Seems in your mind there is ... what's up with you, really?

I use whatever filter that matches something in the driveway fleet. Mopar, Ford, Toyota, Suzuki,...
Just make sure what you choose matches your thread.
If there is room, oversized is fine too.

I'm using a Fram 3614 in lieu of the rather expensive OEM Kohler Filter on my Twin Cylinder 25hp Kohler Courage in a Cub Cadet. The next time I change the oil, I will be using a Bosch 3330.

I completely agree with the person who mentioned that the MOST important filter on the engine is not the oil filter....it is the air filter....especially the pre-filter foam element. I swap mine out with a clean/freshly oiled one about every third mow. And change out the paper element once a season, or as needed.

Originally Posted By: Team_FAST

I completely agree with the person who mentioned that the MOST important filter on the engine is not the oil filter....it is the air filter....especially the pre-filter foam element. I swap mine out with a clean/freshly oiled one about every third mow. And change out the paper element once a season, or as needed.

Excellent point for a piece of equipment working in a dirty environment.

It's been very dry where I live for the past three weeks.

I was mowing in a moving dirt cloud last Friday.

I wash and oil my pre-filter twice a season and change it annually.

That keeps the main air filter relatively clean for a two year replacement interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back