oil filters for kawasaki FR651v

Status
Not open for further replies.
My toro ZTR has a kawa 21.5 engine. The kawa filter is a 49065-7007.
This crosses to a napa 1056 or 7035.

Should i run the factory Kawa filter or is it pretty safe to use the napa filters?

Either of then will work. I usually look for good deals on name brand auto oil filters and have bad less than the Kawi filter.

If it were me I would use Kawasaki filter until the warranty is over, that way if you have any engine problems they can't say you used the wrong filter.

Originally Posted By: gainestruk
If it were me I would use Kawasaki filter until the warranty is over, that way if you have any engine problems they can't say you used the wrong filter.

They cannot by law reject a warranty claim for not using an OEM oil filter, unless they just going to see if you are going to challenge them. If thats the case, then they will try to hang there hat on something else if you did use an OEM filter. The one way they can reject a claim if you do not use an oil filter to the manufacturers specs. Well, Kawasaki don't have any required specs. so basically you can use any auto oil filter that will fit on. I have used a Purolator Pure One PL10241 and currently using a Mobil 1 M1-102 oil filter on my Kawasaki FR730V. Both of these are better than OEM and I got them for a good deal. Those are bigger than OEM so you would need to make sure you have the room to use these longer filters. If you can, you often can find better deals with these filters than your normal small gas filters. You can use these numbers to cross reference to other brands.

Of yes, if you do use these filters you will need to fill a tad bit more oil than what the manufactures specs to compensate for the bigger oil filter.

Last edited:
I've been using the cheap Purolater 14477 on my Kaw for the last several years. Look great cut up. These engines would run for decades with no filter.

These aircooled engines aren't designed with a filter in mind, it's a bonus. Just run whatever is least expensive like a Fram/Purolater or equivalent. Anything is less expensive than an OEM branded Kawasaki filter.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
These aircooled engines aren't designed with a filter in mind, it's a bonus. Just run whatever is least expensive like a Fram/Purolater or equivalent. Anything is less expensive than an OEM branded Kawasaki filter.

W_T_F? Run whatever is the highest quality filter that could extend engine life!

I use the Pure One version of the Purolator oil filter. It's well made, flows well, fits and works perfectly and is available nationwide.

I have a 24 hp kaw on my gravely zero turn. I also have 2 B/S engines one on a 12kw gen and the other on a 20hp rider mower.
I use the same filter on all three. Makes it easy.
NAPA Gold FIL 1348 and right now I can get them for $6.03 a piece. If I was to buy a case it would be $5.85 each.This filter may or may not work on your Kaw It does on mine.
Using the same filter sure is easy on keeping just one extra hanging around. NAPA Gold is a good filter. This is my filter brand of choice.

Stens filters are pretty good. I cut one open here: Stens 120-345 Cut Open

They're usually available for under $7 on the 'net, never found them in a store. They have all different sizes for OPE. I believe your part numbers would be 120485 for the stock size short filter and 120634 for the extra capacity filter.

That is of course if you don’t want to run Wix or Puro etc. for some reason. I only ran the Stens because it came in a maintenance kit that was a decent deal.

The Tokyo Roki filters are very stout, but are nearly $10 at the dealer. Not sure how much yours cost, but I am betting you can get something for less.

Looks like the Napa 1348, MC 910s or Fram 3614 will work for you assuming you have a little extra room. The Napa filter you listed will work, but I am not a fan of the price.

If you have room....the fram 3614 style stuff or equivalent will work...super easy to find and cheap...the oem stuff is stupidly expensive and no better...just my opinion.. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3540543/Re:_More_oil_filter_pron/bordo#Post3540543

This is what a Tearolater looks like after a year in a Kaw.

20140512_171943_zpsd1efugw1.jpg

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3369635/L14477_Cut_Open#Post3369635

These things (ope engines in general)arent hard on filters....dont flow enough to stress them...not worth a $$$$ filter imho....kohler one of the largest and best ope engine manufacturers uses a champ ecore for there latest and greatest heavy duty industrial oem filter...im sure they know what they are doing.....

Originally Posted By: DSparks
These things (ope engines in general)arent hard on filters....dont flow enough to stress them...not worth a $$$$ filter imho....kohler one of the largest and best ope engine manufacturers uses a champ ecore for there latest and greatest heavy duty industrial oem filter...im sure they know what they are doing.....

I would agree. I know I have said I have used a Purolator Pure One and Mobil 1 extended Performance oil filter. I just acquired those through an oil deal at Advance auto that was far less money than what i would have paid for an OEM filter. My point is you can find better oil filters for less money than what OEM oil filters are. Your options are limited if you have to or wanted to stick with that small OPE oil filter, but if you have the room, go bigger and you have pretty much all the options, which allows you better chance in getting an oil filter in the $3 to $5 range.

Dad has this Kawi engine in a new John Deere lawn tractor.

I did a little searching and it appears that it's become popular enough that WIX makes a filter specifically for it ... a compact one, not just an automotive filter that will fit if there is enough room. Part number 57035.

However, when he went to buy one of these at a NAPA store, they were actually MORE than the $9 John Deere wanted for the OEM. ($12)

I haven't taken a good luck at his tractor to see if a taller, automotive filter (the part numbers mentioned above) will fit. If so, I'm sure I can find some for $4-5 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back