Oil filter with magnet = more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Imagine this scenario: Put putting around town, lower rpms, magnet piling up debris on the side of your filter. Life is good.

Now you pull out into traffic and wind her up. The oil flow increases dramatically and that will cause...? Seems to me that may dislodge some of the particles on the outer edges of your 'pile'.

If you've got a significant pile of debris you may have an internal issue. One of my vans did this and had a bad lifter that was tearing up a cam lobe. Always had small filings on the factory magnet which is on the drain plug.

Possibly. The pull of the magnet should be sufficient to hold the debris from getting pulled away. They claim 300lb pull on the RA300. They have images on the Filter Mag site showing stupid amounts of metal stuck to the side of the can. I would imagine if it has sufficient power to hold a significant amount of metal, it can hold on to a little bit no problem.

Even if the stuff does get sucked into the oil flow, didn't you say the filter would stop it anyways?

Lets see what it did on the UOA sometime next week...

Originally Posted By: ZOMGVTEK
6196992148_472ac25e03_b.jpg

Here it is after sitting a day with all the oil off the side of the can. The magnet is removed, but the particles still stick.

Its likely at least some of this would have been caught by the media, but its hard to tell exactly how much. At the very least, the magnet does help keep the pores of the filter media clean for longer, as well as visually showing ferrous material being passed from the engine.

Take it for what you will, but there is really only one case where very powerful magnets can cause harm. Should the magnet be removed or fall off, the collected material MAY pass through the filter more or less all at once.

This pic is easier to see the particles. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Any idea why your car has that much wear? I've always heard that Honda engines are good, easy on oil and don't produce much wear. Has it been modified in any way?

I, too, have a V6, 2006. I've never done any UOA yet and hopefully not producing that much wear. For now, I have lots of short trip, about 3-4 miles each way. And hoping to get a better job soon and will probably increase the trip to more than 10 miles each way.

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN

This pic is easier to see the particles. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Any idea why your car has that much wear? I've always heard that Honda engines are good, easy on oil and don't produce much wear. Has it been modified in any way?

I, too, have a V6, 2006. I've never done any UOA yet and hopefully not producing that much wear. For now, I have lots of short trip, about 3-4 miles each way. And hoping to get a better job soon and will probably increase the trip to more than 10 miles each way.

Generally Honda makes good engines. The J30A1 isn't one of the best, but my wear numbers are quite a bit higher than average...

6198329644_d258e682b4_b.jpg

Here are the two UOA's I have.

I'm not sure if there is something 'wrong' with my engine, but I'm not terribly worried. It wouldn't be a big deal to just swap it with a $400 junkyard motor.

I tend to drive the car hard, but easy at the same time. I'm not afraid to hit redline, and its somewhat modified. However, I use a block heater often, use good oil, filters, and change them frequently. I try to stay under 2K when the car is cold, and never idle excessively or things like that. I do tow a 1,000-1,500 lb trailer from time to time as well. Most of my drives are 10-15 miles, so the car is up to temp by then.

The engine does make a light ticking sound under very particular circumstances, usually high load and low RPM. It's rare to hear, but it is there. The block appears to be slightly warped from a impact with a tree from a previous owner, as the water pump does not sit flat on the block and needs a touch of silicone to seal. The timing belt is also slack for some reason in one spot, and the tensioner can not extend far enough to take up the slack. I'm assuming the impact has something to do with that.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
All cars have magnetic drain plugs. You don't see any metal on it because it shouldn't be there. Atleast all my past/current vehicles have them.

INCORRECT. My 2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V does NOT have a magnetic drain plug! NOT, NO MAGNET! I tested it by trying to pick up small washers that any small magnet could and...no go.

Regardless, I'm running a fumoto valve now and I might slap a magnet on my filter but I'm using a Royal Purple (one of the best on the market) so I'm not too worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back