Oil Filter Value Analysis

Question for you and others . . . should I open a new thread with this link so members don't have to go to page four to get to the link? If yes I'll take suggestions on what to title the new thread.
If you do a dedicated thread, maybe ask a Moderator if they could make it a sticky thread in this forum.

You could ping @wwillson (Admin).

Ryan,
I'll continue to use the existing thread to see if members find the table useful. I'll also include the link in replies to questions members have on specific filters.

Again my thanks for all your help.

@Bellavita thank you again for compiling this sheet. It is very helpful!

If I could just make one more suggestion...if you freeze the left two columns (brand and model) and the top two rows (column headers) it will be easier to keep track of the info while scrolling up/down and left/right.

Hi Ryan,
Thank you for the feedback!

I do have both the columns and rows frozen in the Google Sheet as you suggested. The darker gray lines denoting where they are frozen. The problem is as its displayed in BITOG, the freezing does not work. I'm open to your ideas to get this feature to work!

I am not good with Google Sheets displaying in the browser, so I have no idea how to preserve the frozen rows. Ideally I would change settings to make the sheet pop up in Google Sheets instead of the browser...perhaps others here know how to do this ???

I can see the Excel file in my Google sheets account, and the frozen pains work when looking at it there.

Last edited:
I can see the Excel file in my Google sheets account, and the frozen pains work when looking at it there.
Does the sheets app open on your phone or only on a computer? I would like it to open on my phone but haven't figured out how to make it work this way.

Edit: I found a way to open the sheet in my sheets app on my phone! One of the settings prevented my app from saving sheets to my phone for offline access. I changed this so the online sheet is saved, albeit linked to the original address, so I can access with the app. Now the frozen rows appear as they should.

Last edited:
All of this is based on manufacturer's marketing claims, which isn't the most reliable source of information.

Actual verification based on independent testing... who has money to pay Ascent to do the testing? (BITOG GoFundme?)

I just updated the database. Walmart has dropped the price of the Fram Tough Guard from $7.17 to $6.44, a $.73 reduction (10%).

This reduction moved the Tough Guard to the #1 position for all around performance and price for a 6,000 mile OCI.

All of this is based on manufacturer's marketing claims, which isn't the most reliable source of information.

Actual verification based on independent testing... who has money to pay Ascent to do the testing? (BITOG GoFundme?)
I agree, but the money part to pay for the testing is an issue.

I agree, but the money part to pay for the testing is an issue.
Agreed, the cost would be huge. Its interesting how Fram and Purolator are the only two manufacturers that have comments to testing to ISO 4548-12 on their websites. Although it is based on one to three representative filter models, at least there is some accountability to tested performance.

Good Morning BITOG Community,

I've taken the analysis file to a version 2.0 and would like to share the updates I made. There has been 7K views of it and appreciate that it is being used.

First I've moved Media Type & Anti-Drainback Material from the Feature area next to the Performance area and scored these features. I did this because since February when I first posted the analysis I've read a lot of comments on these two features and deemed them valued features to the product.

I've also read a lot about the center tube holes, louvres and nylon cage but don't know if there is a superior design. For me the nylon core appears best because it has the largest openings for flow. I'd appreciate your comments on this feature.

Second, way to the right, is a column with links where I found information on a particular filter.

Third, a coloration of the 1,2,3 ranked filters so you can get grounded and navigate easier around the data.

Thank you for all your input, insights and feedback.

Back