Oil filter swap/exchange

Over the course of time I have owned many vehicles, most of them used, and have accumulated a few extra unused oil filters that are still in boxes or shrink wrap. I probably have a total of eight extra oil filters spread across seven different vehicles that I no longer own. I have tried selling these filters on FB marketplace, to no avail. Usually I just forget to give them to the new owners.

Has anyone had success exchanging these extra filters at auto parts stores or with others for filters that they can use on their currently owned vehicles? Looking to develop a strategy here, even if it means giving them away eventually.

Over the course of time I have owned many vehicles, most of them used, and have accumulated a few extra unused oil filters that are still in boxes or shrink wrap. I probably have a total of eight extra oil filters spread across seven different vehicles that I no longer own. I have tried selling these filters on FB marketplace, to no avail. Usually I just forget to give them to the new owners.

Has anyone had success exchanging these extra filters at auto parts stores or with others for filters that they can use on their currently owned vehicles? Looking to develop a strategy here, even if it means giving them away eventually.
Just make a post on here for swap?

That thought occurred to me, but then the thought of paying to mail them around just kills the thought. The economics of shipping won't be feasible. None of my oil filters are gold plated or collector's items. 🙃 Better just to give away a few free oil changes to local widows, single moms, etc. I think. They supply the oil, I supply the filter and my time/expertise.

Here's what I got, not that it matters much for the discussion:

2 qty....Fram PH3600
1 qty....Fram HM3600
1 qty....Fram PH3593A
1 qty....NAPA Gold 1522
1 qty....Fram XG3980
1 qty....Fram PH3614
1 qty....Fram PH8A
1 qty....K&N KN-303.......Kawasaki motorcycles

There used to be, or perhaps still is, a guy here on BITOG that does car maintenance for those that are in tough situations. Whatever he can do for others for free, he does. So he is always looking for donations of motor oil and filters.

Anyone here remember who that is? Perhaps we can get his attention here?

I can do the same over here. I just haven't done it in a while because I've moved a bit. I used to do this for an outreach program. I'll just need to find a new outreach program or start my own. I'm not interested in shipping oil filters across the country. No offense intended.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just throw obsolete unused filters away... not that I have very many of them, but when faced with that problem, there isn't much choice as the only way to return them for credit would be if I had a receipt and I generally dont

Back