Oil filter surprise at walmart! -PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled across a "used and returned" Mopar at Wally's not that long ago. I always check the filter out before buying for this reason, if it's shrink wrapped then no worries!

First pic looks more like a minor rust spot than oil to me.

It's posssible the second shows a strap wrench has been applied. Is it also possible it could be from some assembly line machinery/equipment? All Fram tapping plates tend to be shiny and dark looking.

Third pic, agree with the poster that said it could also simply be residual rubber from the sealing gasket.

I've wanted to look at the new Ultra's tapping plate to see if they are using the new cheaper plate as some members have reported, but while not shrink wrapped like the XG, they have a glued shut bottom and a top cello seal tab, so I won't open them. If I was going to purchase though, I would.

Is the pic shown of an XG or Ultra? I ask because said filter has the before Rank takeover, user friendly tapping plate design.

Before the Ultra, I've seen the XG shrink wrap removed, opened it and found an orange can inside. Agree, best practice to ispect any filter prior to purchase.

Walmart customer service people just go through the motions and will take almost anything back. But that does not mean they should put it back on the selling floor.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

It's posssible the second shows a strap wrench has been applied. Is it also possible it could be from some assembly line machinery/equipment? All Fram tapping plates tend to be shiny and dark looking.

Third pic, agree with the poster that said it could also simply be residual rubber from the sealing gasket.

I've wanted to look at the new Ultra's tapping plate to see if they are using the new cheaper plate as some members have reported, but while not shrink wrapped like the XG, they have a glued shut bottom and a top cello seal tab, so I won't open them. If I was going to purchase though, I would.

Is the pic shown of an XG or Ultra? I ask because said filter has the before Rank takeover, user friendly tapping plate design.

Before the Ultra, I've seen the XG shrink wrap removed, opened it and found an orange can inside. Agree, best practice to ispect any filter prior to purchase.

Was the ultra. It wasn't rust. It WAS oil of some sorts.

Could just be a corrosion protectant, oil ring lube, something special for the new high end filter.

The marks on the can and debris in the box in your pic is the sure grip. I'm sure of it. I eyeballed my neighbor putting on an XG today. Over spray from the sure grip application process.

That filter was never used. There would be enough leftover oil in the media (especially the ultra with 2 layers) to stain that box like a blotter test big time. Its just curious drive by's tampering with merchandise.

I've never used fram so the oil on a new filter is new to me. The P1s are always bone dry! Thanks for the info!

I'm with you. I have no experience with these new Frams, but if I saw what you saw, and I've seen the pictures, I would have been highly, highly suspicious that it was "used." I wouldn't exactly call it used for an OCI, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility that it was the wrong filter, put on, and a mistake realized, and then returned.

I've read the other explanations that what you saw might be a new filter. Fine. Personally, when I buy a new filter, I don't want oil residue all over the place, and I don't want it to look like an oil filter wrench has already been used on it. When one sees things like that, one assumes it's been tried on another vehicle, and that's a valid assumption.

If Fram wants to lube the gasket or baseplate, that's fine. Then you use shrink wrap, not just a cardboard box. Fram likes to save money. Divert the cardboard box materials to the endcap assembly line for the orange can, and shrink wrap the high end filters. Everyone wins!
wink.gif

Best positive surprise is that the Ultra here uses the previous superior tapping plate design, the one shown on the box. So, perhaps Fram has decided to at least maintain that design on it's top of the line filter. Like to see more to confirm it, but seeing as the Ultra is a new filter, seems likely.

This was often discussed when I was a "new" member on here. I have actually seen oil filter studies where the person conducting the filter testing noticed the same thing oil on the threads.

I just picked up am xg7317 for my 2006 MDX...the bottom plate looks different than the one in this post...more squared off than rounded where the threads are. Is this the new design?

When it comes to the used filter panic... First of all, there is a black ring on the inside bottom of my box too...this would not lead me to think the filter is used.

Secondly, I can see oily residue inside on the bypass valve...left over from the machining process?..who knows...also wouldn't lead me to believe the filter is used.

The paint is not marred at all on mine. The box was sealed at both ends with a circular piece of tape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rcy
I just picked up am xg7317 for my 2006 MDX...the bottom plate looks different than the one in this post...more squared off than rounded where the threads are. Is this the new design?

Does the tapping plate look like the pictures shown in this thread? It's in that thread, that afaik it was first reported the XG had also gone to the cheaper plate. As you say your's is also an XG that seems to be confirmed.

That said, the Ultra as posted here has superseded the XG and pics from a couple of recent threads including this, show the use of the previous rounded thread boss design. So, perhaps Fram/Rank has reconsidered and decided to stick with the previous tapping plate for the Ultra?

EDIT: I just saw the Ultra still uses the XG prefix for the Ultra applications. Is your's an XG or an Ultra?

Last edited:
Always check filters before buying them if they are not "sealed".

Glad my OEM filters have the Hyundai plastic wrap covering the open-side of the filter to prevent debris from getting in and as a measure to indicate if it has been used or not.

It doesn't matter the store, it can happen at any store.

Also, I find it likely a walmart tech put it back, not a customer bringing it back. I've seen walmart techs use parts straight off the shelf before, so they probably grabbed the wrong one and slipped right back in.

Originally Posted By: rcy

Does the tapping plate look like the pictures shown in this thread? It's in that thread, that afaik it was first reported the XG had also gone to the cheaper plate. As you say your's is also an XG that seems to be confirmed.

That said, the Ultra as posted here has superseded the XG and pics from a couple of recent threads including this, show the use of the previous rounded thread boss design. So, perhaps Fram/Rank has reconsidered and decided to stick with the previous tapping plate for the Ultra?

EDIT: I just saw the Ultra still uses the XG prefix for the Ultra applications. Is your's an XG or an Ultra?

Yes. Just like in those pictures.

Today, I changed the oil/filter on the MDX. The old filter had that new plate and it the name painted on was Xtended Guard.

The new filter was painted Ultra (and in an Ultra box) and the part number was still XGxxx, and it also had the new style baseplate.

For what it's worth, I had no trouble screwing the filter on.

^^^^Now I'm beginning to wonder if the new tapping plate is a Canadian thing because today I did manange to see a new Ulta and XG tapping plate. They had the same design as shown on the box, with the rounded/tapered thread boss construction. But, as only a couple were already open I can't speak to others, I won't open any sealed box I'm not purchasing. The orange can and Tough Guard are using the cheaper tapping plate.

Yes, the filters with the flat thread boss can still be installed, but the design makes precise line up much more important than the older design. Direct view applications not as big a deal as less visible applications. River_rat summed the new design up nicely at the bottom of the page I linked in my previous post.

I also saw and felt an oil droplet on at least one XG/Ultra base, and the tapping plates have an oily feel and and shiny appearance.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Always check filters before buying them if they are not "sealed".

Glad my OEM filters have the Hyundai plastic wrap covering the open-side of the filter to prevent debris from getting in and as a measure to indicate if it has been used or not.

It doesn't matter the store, it can happen at any store.

Also, I find it likely a walmart tech put it back, not a customer bringing it back. I've seen walmart techs use parts straight off the shelf before, so they probably grabbed the wrong one and slipped right back in.

I do not believe this is the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back