Oil filter question

Hi everyone!

I have a question about my oil filter. I want to upgrade to a better oil filter for my 1980 VW LT28 2.0 Petrol. I have the details of my original oil filter which are as follows

Height: 123mm Thread size: 3/4 16-UNF Inner diameter: 62mm Outer diameter: 76mm with one anti return valve, Opening pressure bypass valve: 2.5bar

The one I am looking to swap to is a K&N HP-2005 because the specs all look the same apart from possibly the bypass valve PSI. I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, so I hope you can all help. The HP-2005 specs are:

Anti Drain Back ValveYes
Bypass ValveYes
Filter MaterialHigh Flow Premium Media
Gasket MaterialViton Rubber
Height5.063 in (129 mm)
Outside Diameter3 in (76 mm)
PSI Relief Valve11-17
Removal NutYes
StyleCanister
Thread Specification3/4 In. - 16
Product StyleOil Filters
Weight1 lb (0.4 kg)

Would this filter be a suitable replacement for the old filter? Or should I just stick with the original?

I have by the way asked K&N to verify this information, but they don't seem to want to.

Many thanks!

What old filter are you using? A K&N? I can't figure that out from what you've posted.

What makes you think the one you're considering is better than what you're using now?

1618962964678.png

Rock Auto has a few fram pro synthetic 2870A (shop version of the Ultra) filters on close out, that is if you're in a part of the world where you can order from there, which might not be the case given the vehicle you have.

Better oil filter? Then find one that has full synthetic media. I wouldn't bother with K&N.

The dimensions are similar to the 3600/2870a filters. Don't worry about the bypass PSI. As long as it has an ADBV and BPV, you're good.

I used both the Fram XG3600 and XG2870a on my VW. Currently have a Wix 51516xp mounted.

This is exactly the info I need plus more! Thanks so much!!
So what filter are you using now that you're considering changing out, and what is it that makes you think something else will be better? That was your criteria in your first post, just wondering what you meant by that. "Better" is subjective, do you mean better construction? Better filtering efficiency?

You may want to look it up in Fram specs online parts search. Not to state the obvious but they say no adbv and no bypass valve, unless Fram is wrong. Not a tall filter either.

Back