Oil filter pleats

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those spin-on type filters there is no way for me to count the number of pleats without performing a surgery on them.

Today at the parts store (Canadian Tire for readers North of the border), I was getting a filter for my gf's Mazda. I was contemplating whether to get the Quaker State which is on sale or to get the store brand. QS is $0.60 more expensive than store brand. QS is made in the U.S. of A. while the store is made in Korea.

Just about I decided to get the QS I thought maybe I should count the number pleats to see which one actually has more "meat".

To my surprise the store brand that is made in Korea actually has 5-6 more pleats than the QS.

Next time buy the Fram Tough Guard ( which happens to be on sale this week). Then run it for three OCI’s but don’t tell her you aren’t changing the filter. Just use the cash she gives you to buy beer. You’ll still be protecting her car and picking up brownie points for later.

Spoken from Experience.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: newbe46
Just about I decided to get the QS I thought maybe I should count the number pleats to see which one actually has more "meat".

To my surprise the store brand that is made in Korea actually has 5-6 more pleats than the QS.

Number of pleats don't tell you how much surface area there is, or how the media performs if you're comparing different brands & models.

Appreciate the joke and I don't mind doing that to my own vehicles.

The thing is I had found the root cause of an oil loss on her car and am monitoring the oil level. I'm already concerned about the possibility of a sludge build up, I try not to introduce another variable as much as I can.

a low end QS and store brand would probably give the same amount of protection.

changed at 5K miles you'll be fine. For 10K mile vehicles, go with something better.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Number of pleats don't tell you how much surface area there is, or how the media performs if you're comparing different brands & models.

This is why I didn't draw any conclusion from what I observed and post it here. I know there must be other attributes to consider and there are other people know more than I do.

I wouldn't rate oil filters by their quantity of pleats I would rather good sturdy filter media.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
a low end QS and store brand would probably give the same amount of protection.

changed at 5K miles you'll be fine. For 10K mile vehicles, go with something better.
This.

Those QS filters are junk. Id recommend you go to a Napa and get a proselect for 3-4$. Much better filter than those two. Regardless if I had to choose id go Motomaster branded over those QS filters.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Those QS filters are junk. Id recommend you go to a Napa and get a proselect for 3-4$. Much better filter than those two. Regardless if I had to choose id go Motomaster branded over those QS filters.

Sometimes wrong! Many of the 2nd party Korean filters are very well built and cheap..... better than a ProSelect.
My favorite Napa is the Platinum. Flows very well for my needs. But it's not cheap ...$8-9 currently!

The store brand and the QS both claim to meet and exeed OE spec. True to BITOG spirit I will go with the one that is the cheapest and meets spec.

I guess I raise the discussion because some time ago I read a post that claims QS filters are made by Wix which is seen as one of the best. I am not the one who made the comment so please don’t bite my head off.

... I read a post that claims QS filters are made by Wix which is seen as one of the best. ...
I've seen posts to the effect that they're internally the same as Purolator Classics---at least some models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back