Oil filter media..

Obviously we have oil filter manufacturers that manufacture synthetic oil filters for 15 & 20k
But meanwhile the manufacturers are still using a standard cellulose blend media am I correct?
Thank you

Obviously we have oil filter manufacturers that manufacture synthetic oil filters for 15 & 20k
But meanwhile the manufacturers are still using a standard cellulose blend media am I correct?
Thank you
Well, the OG Ultra was multi-layer synthetic media. The Royal Purple filters are multi-layer synthetic media, as are the AMSOIL ones. Those are the main extended drain filters. The current "new" Ultra is now a cellulose/synthetic blend.

Well, the OG Ultra was multi-layer synthetic media. The Royal Purple filters are multi-layer synthetic media, as are the AMSOIL ones. Those are the main extended drain filters. The current "new" Ultra is now a cellulose/synthetic blend.
What is OG ultra? I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying.. what I'm saying is.. there is no original equipment that make. Anything but cellulose blend media.. I don't even think they make cellulose synthetic media...

What is OG ultra? I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying.. what I'm saying is.. there is no original equipment that make. Anything but cellulose blend media.. I don't even think they make cellulose synthetic media...
The New owner of fram cost reduced the **** out of their filter lines, they took the very well built fram ultra that was dual layer microglass media and turned it into some cheap tough gaurd/ultra abomination, essentially it's now a layer of tough gaurd media with a layer of microglass on top, nowhere near as well built at the original Ultra/Extended Gaurd.

No OEM makes filters, they’re all made by contract, by filter manufacturers. Fleetguard probably comes closest, they’re made by Cummins. Synthetic media is a form of fiberglass, cellulose is a form of paper.

No OEM makes filters, they’re all made by contract, by filter manufacturers. Fleetguard probably comes closest, they’re made by Cummins. Synthetic media is a form of fiberglass, cellulose is a form of paper.
I understand that, it typically made by Purolator, champion, and so on.. I didn't word it correctly.. but no filter manufacturer, manufacturers a filter for a auto mobile manufacturer that has a synthetic media do they that is my question?

I understand that, it typically made by Purolator, champion, and so on.. I didn't word it correctly.. but no filter manufacturer, manufacturers a filter for a auto mobile manufacturer that has a synthetic media do they that is my question?
The TRD filters for some toyota models are full synthetic media with a wire backing made by Champion.

The only thing bad about the Wix XP is the efficiency is about as bad as the cheapest paper filters, Probably the best option is Amsoil or Royal Purple if you want a full synthetic media with decent efficiency, they're both made by Champion, the Royal Purple are a little cheaper around $11-13/ea from Royal Purple Direct depending on the quantity you buy.

The only thing bad about the Wix XP is the efficiency is about as bad as the cheapest paper filters, Probably the best option is Amsoil or Royal Purple if you want a full synthetic media with decent efficiency, they're both made by Champion, the Royal Purple are a little cheaper around $11-13/ea from Royal Purple Direct depending on the quantity you buy.
I can't even get an XP I'm using just regular wix Royal purple is actually made by champion XL isn't it

If you are asking if any new car coming off the factory assembly line has a full synthetic media oil filter or not, I would bet the answer is not. And as mentioned above, the Toyota TRD is probably the only full synthetic oil filter you can buy from the dealership would be my bet also. I've not seen any other car manufacturer besides Toyota that sell their brand name filter through the dealerships that are full synthetic media.

If you are asking if any new car coming off the factory assembley line has a full synthetic media oil filter or not, I would bet the answer is not.
That's what I figured.. so basically they expect you to run let's say 10,000 MI on a cellulose media..

That's what I figured.. so basically they expect you to run let's say 10,000 MI on a cellulose media..
If that's what they say in the OM, then yes. The OEM filters sold through the dealerships may be a cellulose/synthetic blend these days.

What do you know about Purolator boss
Unless it's changed the efficiency is just as poor as the Wix XP, plus purolator is hit and miss quality wise, they've had issues with poorly deburred tapping plates slicing the ADBV, the closest replacement for the old Fram Ultra is Amsoil, Royal Purple, or select TRD filters.

What do you know about Purolator boss

Efficiency based on ISO 4548-12 is 99% at 25 microns on PBL30001 (largerst filter size they make).

Independent ISO 4548-18 test on a smaller Boss model filter is here. Came in at 52% @ 20 microns and 88% @ 25 microns ... pretty far off from Purolator's claims, but the large PBL30001 probably has something to do with that (ie, helping the efficiency numbers).

Unless it's changed the efficiency is just as poor as the Wix XP, plus purolator is hit and miss quality wise, they've had issues with poorly deburred tapping plates slicing the ADBV, the closest replacement for the old Fram Ultra is Amsoil, Royal Purple, or select TRD filters.
Isn't Amsoil made by wix? And Royal purple isn't that the same as champion XL? TRD isn't that Toyota?

Back