oil filter intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since super tech filters are only about 2 bucks, would it be cheap insurance to change them out every, 1500 miles? any benefit? I doubt one would be clogged, but I figure maybe there would be a benefit, besides the fresh 1/2 qt oil.

Since some people are going 10K on one filter with no problems, changing at this interval would be a waste of the filter and the oil trapped in it plus the cost. They are designed to go farther than 1500 miles.

I see only one reason to change an oil filter at 6 months or earlier then the oil and that is if you have a concern that the drain back valve/seal is leaking and this is a problem for your engine. Otherwise, I have come to the personal conclusion that filters are for "catastrophic" events only and trap about nothing in a 7,500 miles cycle. (perhaps why Frams have worked so well for so many people over the years, crap fitlers but filters make no difference) In fact, on my one car I go 12,000 between changes and used to changed the fitler at 6000 I am going to try the same filter for the full 12,000 miles. I will be willing to bet the oil analysis will be the same as previous ones in terms of wear and when I cut that filter open there will be nothing noticeable in it.

The full flow filter doesn't do much in a good engine. All of the wear abrasives go on through it and stay in suspension causing wear until your next oil change. The full flow filter is good insurance against anything big that gets into the oil. If you change the filter often enough you will be cleaning the oil by diluting the dirty oil with new oil. The only way you can win is with a submicronic bypass filter.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back