Oil filter internals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped by Walmart on the way home from work last night. I opened the different brands just to see what the insides of different filters looked like. One major difference I saw was the inside of the Fram "classic orange". The tube/sleeve that lines the inside of the filter had very few holes in it,whereas all the others were full of holes,sort`ve a "honeycomb". The inside of the Fram was almost solid with very few holes. What exactly does all that traslate too?

As you can can see,I know absolutely nada about oil filters.

Not much, I believe there have been posts about how those holes don't really restrict anything. The E-Core (which is almost completely open in the center) compared to a Fram shouldn't be any less restrictive in terms of flow through the center tube. The media is much more restrictive than the center tube is, if I understand it correctly.

Even with very few holes, likely the Fram tube contributes very little to the over all restriction of the filter. The last time this question came up, I tried pouring cold, used oil into a disassembled Purolator center tube. It ran out almost as fast as I could pour it in. Try it with the Fram.

Likely the other filter was a much better filter, but for reasons other than the center tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back