Oil Filter, How oftern should I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use Purolator P1 filters in my vehicles, and my OCI is at 6000 miles, should I be changing this filter at the recommended 3000 miles or keep them in until I change my oil?

What would be a good alternative, Bosch Distance Plus filter? I'd like to get away with having to change the filter only when I change the oil. Any recommendations?

Currently using Amsoil SSO, QSUD, and Pennzoil Ultra in my vehicles.

The PureOne should be able to go 6000 easily if your engine is pretty new and in good shape (ie, clean inside).

Does your owner's manual say to do 3000 mile OCIs? Where's the 3000 coming from?

welcome2.gif
P1 can handle 10k miles Bosch D+ is "tank" version of P1 and can go up to 15k miles. 6000 miles--pretty much any filter will handle it. Avoid Frams (except extended guard), cheap economy version filters and no name brands, they mostly handle good/fair under 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Purolator P1 filters are good for 10k miles or more in a good/clean engine. I had/have lower end oil filters than P1 in LS400 for 1 year up to 12-15k miles.

If you are using Amsoil SSO, QSUD, and Pennzoil Ultra and if most of your trips are more than 10-15 miles with more than 50% highway miles then you should be able to do 8-10k miles OCI(oil change interval) and change P1 oil filter at every oil change.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The PureOne should be able to go 6000 easily if your engine is pretty new and in good shape (ie, clean inside).

Does your owner's manual say to do 3000 mile OCIs? Where's the 3000 coming from?

No, my owner's manual states I should change it every 7,500 miles. The 3000 miles is what is stated by the Purolator website to change the filter at.

+1 - no reason the P1 cannot go 6000 or even 7500 on a OC.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Purolator P1 filters are good for 10k miles or more in a good/clean engine. I had/have lower end oil filters than P1 in LS400 for 1 year up to 12-15k miles.

If you are using Amsoil SSO, QSUD, and Pennzoil Ultra and if most of your trips are more than 10-15 miles with more than 50% highway miles then you should be able to do 8-10k miles OCI(oil change interval) and change P1 oil filter at every oil change.

Excellent, thank you all.

Call Purolator and ask them if their filter doesnt meet OEM Specifications. I bet they tell you 7500 miles is fine.

Purolator use the same paper type element they use in the Purolator Classic in Motorcraft Filters and yet they are speced for 10,000 miles.

The engine I'm most concerned about is my daily driver (2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, 27,000 miles on Odometer.)Been using PU or PP in it since day one. Changed the oil every 1500 miles until it reached the 5000 mile marker when I purchased the vehicle new.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Call Purolator and ask them if their filter doesnt meet OEM Specifications. I bet they tell you 7500 miles is fine.

Purolator use the same paper type element they use in the Purolator Classic in Motorcraft Filters and yet they are speced for 10,000 miles.

Good advice, thanks.

The filter manufactures and auto parts stores recommending short interval so they can sell more to make more profit. Car manufactures like to have their cars rated as the most reliable car on market, if they recommend 7.5k miles for the oil filter you can be sure that the filter can perform its job of filtering debris as good as it can be. If Honda recommends filter is changed at second oil change, you can be sure that it was tested many miles and no negative effect was found.

Many filters with 7-8k miles in use were cut and found nothing on the media. My E430 uses cartridge oil filter, after 13k miles I didn't see anything on the filter either, it looked as it had only 1k miles, but I changed it anyway because I had many filter in my stash. Last time I reused the cartridge oil filter for another 12-13k miles OCI, but I'll check the filter condition every 3-4k miles.

Originally Posted By: DetailingJunkie

The engine I'm most concerned about is my daily driver (2010 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, 27,000 miles on Odometer.)Been using PU or PP in it since day one. Changed the oil every 1500 miles until it reached the 5000 mile marker when I purchased the vehicle new.

Boy, that's some TLC. Is the GTS turbocharged? You'll get some grief here for "wasting" good syn on such short OCIs but I know I get itchy at 3,000 with my MS3 DI turbo, a notorious oil beater with a tiny cartridge filter (but fortunately 6 qt sump). I am also using P1 filters (zero visible difference with OEM) which I loaded up on with a AAP mail order + P1 MIR deal that got my purchase price under $4 per.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DetailingJunkie

No, my owner's manual states I should change it every 7,500 miles. The 3000 miles is what is stated by the Purolator website to change the filter at.

That is only the first part of the P1 'recommendation' from the website. Reading further, the second part says "or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer." Meaning the P1 will meet the needs/requirements of the OEM filter spec'd for that vehicle. In other words, whatever your owners manual says is the OCI for your driving profile, the P1 can handle.

As said above, 6k is easily doable with a P1 in a decently maintained engine, which judging from your comments would easily qualify. Fwiw, done ~7k/1year OCI's myself as vehicle recommended in a Honda. Use with confidence.

IMO, a PureONE in a 'non' severe serviced engine or neglected vehicle, can make 7,500 miles as a good round number. In the 'best case' scenario, one year or 10,000 miles is a good compromise as well. I simply wouldn't go longer on that filter, though. If you want longer service from a filter than that, get a high-end filter, ones such as:

Amsoil EaO
Bosch Distance Plus
Fram Extended Guard
K&N
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
NAPA Platinum
Royal Purple

Any others?

You should change your oil according to the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual. The oil filter should be changed everytime you change the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back