Oil filter has the highest Absolute rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ haha wow so late to the party! I was beginning to wonder if all you marketers were sleeping on the job or what.

Originally Posted By: Plawan
^^^ haha wow so late to the party! I was beginning to wonder if all you marketers were sleeping on the job or what.

For all three brands he mentioned? Sheesh. He must be real G'd up to get 3 companies to write him checks.
crackmeup2.gif

Anyway, Donaldson makes the DBL7349, which is 100% @ 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Apparently BigdaddyTroll is back.

You think? I'm not so sure, that troll had an inordinate obsession with Mobil 1 that I haven't see with this one yet. What makes you so sure?

This one seems more stuck on filters than oil, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Bob69
Not looking for the "best" filter, asked for information from anyone who knows of a filter that could filter out the smallest particles, ie: the lowest micron Absolute rating. Not asking for guesses (read original post), asking for those who actually have used one of these filters.

Thank you
Well, the Fleetguard Stratapore Venturi that I use on my Ram has a rating of 60% at 10 microns-
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/.../PD10010.pdf
Not sure if any are made for your (unknown) application, though. Starting to understand why the knowledgeable long-time BITOG people are starting to give up, too many people that are too lazy to search for anything, & bash the members that DO respond!

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Apparently BigdaddyTroll is back.

You think? I'm not so sure, that troll had an inordinate obsession with Mobil 1 that I haven't see with this one yet. What makes you so sure?

This one seems more stuck on filters than oil, IMO.

Yep, I vote for BigDaddy / Mrsandmand reincarnation. Troll stink is easy to detect.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fram Ultra is 99.9% @20 microns and 80% @5 microns if you ask them by email. Other microglass filters should be close like the royal purple or Amsoil EA, but unfortunately they don't give us enough data to make apples to apples comparison.

Amsoil EA is posted as 98.7% @20 microns so I'm guessing the 5 micron number is lower but probably still pretty good.

The Ultra gets the better rating because it uses two layers of media instead of 1 thicker layer like the Amsoil and royal purple does. They also seal it very well with deep end caps with lots of adhesive and even use an extra seal on the bypass valve, sometimes leakage in these areas effect the ISO 4548-12 ratings.

Donaldson makes some very high efficiency synthetic filters too if you can cross them to certain larger automotive filters.

+1 ... any of those will satisfy the OP's requirements IMO.

Appreciate all the constructive comments and suggestions.

I went out and bought a Purolator Boss (PBL30001, Fram size is a XG8A). Seems like the Boss was designed to last a long time, but may not filter quite as well (sub-20 micron) as the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Bob69
Appreciate all the constructive comments and suggestions.

I went out and bought a Purolator Boss (PBL30001, Fram size is a XG8A). Seems like the Boss was designed to last a long time, but may not filter quite as well (sub-20 micron) as the Fram Ultra.

Will you leave it on for the whole 15k?
I like what I've seen of them. You probably seen some cut and post of new unused ones here?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Mann is 99.9% at 9um.

Not here it's not, because our Manns (unless it's a German car) are rebranded Purolator classics. They only stop 99.9% of the particle size that's infinitesimally larger than the biggest media tear.

Mann filters are 99.9% at 9um.

Rebranded filters that started out as junk are still junk, no doubt, but proper Mann are not junk, they're among the best available.

if efficiency is of such importance: municipality with idling truck etc etc etc go grab a microgreen!
watch?v=HDFWjQvLpM4 this guy on YouTube used a microgreen as you can see he should have changed it quicker! but men this filter is insane. the amount of particle it trap at the bottom is awsome(he nickname his truck ( a 1996 tahoe)SLUDGE MONSTER.rofl
watch?v=dOnerEiP1ks here a video about the mechanic of the filter it self ,nvm the publicity lol!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas
Rebranded filters that started out as junk are still junk, no doubt, but proper Mann are not junk, they're among the best available.

That's true, but getting a real Mann for a North American or Japanese application is an exercise in futility. The same goes for Bosch (which are basically Purolator P1s). Heck, at one point at least, even the Bosch site would point to Purolator Classic or P1 numbers for a fair number of Japanese and North American applications, with a clone not even being available.

Quote:
Mann is 99.9% at 9um.

Can you provide a published link/citing to that spec? As it 'seems' quite an impressive spec, like to see the ISO test procedure attached to it.

Quote:
...Rebranded filters that started out as junk are still junk...

'If true', one only has look as far the front door of Mann&Hummel corporate to find the culprit. After 10 years of partial and full ownership of the NA operations, no excuse for the poor or nonexistent leadership. Can't pass the buck at this point.

The German mann filters shown here at times don't look like anything special, normal pleated thinnish media. I don't believe at all they are 99.9%@9 microns efficiency, too many 9's.

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
if efficiency is of such importance: municipality with idling truck etc etc etc go grab a microgreen!
watch?v=HDFWjQvLpM4 this guy on YouTube used a microgreen as you can see he should have changed it quicker! but men this filter is insane. the amount of particle it trap at the bottom is awsome(he nickname his truck ( a 1996 tahoe)SLUDGE MONSTER.rofl
watch?v=dOnerEiP1ks here a video about the mechanic of the filter it self ,nvm the publicity lol!
i bought a couple of these and slaped one on as a spin on atf filter. I had a glass media filter on there for quite a long time until now and it clearly coulda stayed in for so much longer. I suppose i might only change the microgreen after about 60k. I wouldnt advise that on an engine block but the tranny isnt accumulating or making very much crud at all compared to an engine.

Mann's are very good filters and they are my first choice for euro vehicles but i dont really think they come close to 99.9% at 9 microns.
In fact, i think most premium oil synthetic media oil filters have a much better efficiency spec than a Mann.

Originally Posted By: Noobie
Mann's are very good filters and they are my first choice for euro vehicles but i dont really think they come close to 99.9% at 9 microns.
In fact, i think most premium oil synthetic media oil filters have a much better efficiency spec than a Mann.

Originally Posted By: JAG
This may or may not help but had it saved from 2003 so am copying and pasting it here for you. This data is for Mann filters for a VW 1.8T engine so yours may vary. You may have questions about the data but I doubt I can answer it.

"Info from German Mann employee I spoke to:
Carol Hubbard (U.S.): 269-329-7211 (she forwarded my questions to Germany)
Jurgen Englmaler: 269 327-0057
Sellers: Volkparts.com : 1-800-322-6006 (paid $43.70 for six w/shipping) or
Filtersupplyamerica.com: 904 695-2539
Mann Filters – GTI 1.8t (OEM Supplier)
• Oil Filter (W 719/30) – 9 micron filtration at 99.5 – 99.9% efficiency
- Flow rate: 18 liters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
- By-pass valve opens at 2.5 bar = 36.3 psi
- Cellulose treated with chemical – no fiberglass filters allowed in Germany
- Long-life filter – has recently been greatly improved to allow VW/Audi’s extended drain intervals
• Air Filter (C 37153) – 2 to 3 micron filtration at 99.8% efficiency
- Flow rate: 6 cubic meters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
• Fuel Filter (WK 730-1) – 10 micron filtration at ? efficiency
- Flow rate: 90 liters/hr at ? pressure (tech guy did not know)"

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The German mann filters shown here at times don't look like anything special, normal pleated thinnish media. I don't believe at all they are 99.9%@9 microns efficiency, too many 9's.

Originally Posted By: JAG
This may or may not help but had it saved from 2003 so am copying and pasting it here for you. This data is for Mann filters for a VW 1.8T engine so yours may vary. You may have questions about the data but I doubt I can answer it.

"Info from German Mann employee I spoke to:
Carol Hubbard (U.S.): 269-329-7211 (she forwarded my questions to Germany)
Jurgen Englmaler: 269 327-0057
Sellers: Volkparts.com : 1-800-322-6006 (paid $43.70 for six w/shipping) or
Filtersupplyamerica.com: 904 695-2539
Mann Filters – GTI 1.8t (OEM Supplier)
• Oil Filter (W 719/30) – 9 micron filtration at 99.5 – 99.9% efficiency
- Flow rate: 18 liters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
- By-pass valve opens at 2.5 bar = 36.3 psi
- Cellulose treated with chemical – no fiberglass filters allowed in Germany
- Long-life filter – has recently been greatly improved to allow VW/Audi’s extended drain intervals
• Air Filter (C 37153) – 2 to 3 micron filtration at 99.8% efficiency
- Flow rate: 6 cubic meters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
• Fuel Filter (WK 730-1) – 10 micron filtration at ? efficiency
- Flow rate: 90 liters/hr at ? pressure (tech guy did not know)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back