Nissan 240SX Oil Filter?

Short run down:
90 240SX, with a KA24DE Swap (91-94 engine)
Forged internals, etc. Typically run a Purolator PBL20252 filter based on an old KA-T.org thread about they could run a larger filter blah blah.

While doing some research and considering changing to a Fram Ultra (XG2870A) or Titanium (FS2870A) and doing some research I realized something.

The factory spec oil filters don't feature a BPV in the filter (as there is one in the block), but the ones I've been using do as they're Audi / VW fitment.
Is this an advantage? Is this a disadvantage? Am I wasting my time / money with 2006 Era "information?"

Yes, the OE bypass is in working condition. Was mostly curious if the filter with built in BPV was an advantage or didn't matter. Good to know.

Yes, the OE bypass is in working condition. Was mostly curious if the filter with built in BPV was an advantage or didn't matter. Good to know.
If the bypass in block opens before the bypass in the filter, then there's no difference in filter bypass operation. But if the bypass in the filter opens before the bypass in the block, then the block bypass valve is being "over-ridden" so to speak. Why not just get the filter that is specified and doesn't have the bypass valve ?

The specified filter is meaningless in a modified engine

Being a 240, and having forged internals, along with a different engine, there is nothing OE specified meaningful anymore.

KA24DE was one of my favorite engines that many didn't care for.... the crowd that wanted the SR20 swaps. Its built like a tank, takes a turbo just well, and runs just about forever with simple maintenance. I miss mine, all of them!

I recommend the XG3600, or the equivalent full synthetic filters Purolator, Wix, Napa, Amsoil, RoyalPurple,...... And yes, I'd want to override the not always perfect OE bypass, usually varnished up and stuck in every neglected Nissan running that OE spec 3682 filter.

Back