Oil filter has the highest Absolute rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Mann is 99.9% at 9um.

Can you provide a published link/citing to that spec? As it 'seems' quite an impressive spec, like to see the ISO test procedure attached to it.

Quote:
...Rebranded filters that started out as junk are still junk...

'If true', one only has look as far the front door of Mann&Hummel corporate to find the culprit. After 10 years of partial and full ownership of the NA operations, no excuse for the poor or nonexistent leadership. Can't pass the buck at this point.

Corporate takeover is one thing if you buy the site and re fit it to your specs, but a completely different animal if you buy the whole operation and leave it unchanged, just transfer of ownership papers and enjoy the profit. People are happy to buy junk so manufacturers sell junk - stop buying on price and instead buy on quality, and watch your market offerings change in response to market forces
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Olas
Rebranded filters that started out as junk are still junk, no doubt, but proper Mann are not junk, they're among the best available.

That's true, but getting a real Mann for a North American or Japanese application is an exercise in futility. The same goes for Bosch (which are basically Purolator P1s). Heck, at one point at least, even the Bosch site would point to Purolator Classic or P1 numbers for a fair number of Japanese and North American applications, with a clone not even being available.

True, but the poster asked which filter has the highest rating, he didn't further define the question with geographical availability.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The German mann filters shown here at times don't look like anything special, normal pleated thinnish media. I don't believe at all they are 99.9%@9 microns efficiency, too many 9's.

Originally Posted By: JAG
This may or may not help but had it saved from 2003 so am copying and pasting it here for you. This data is for Mann filters for a VW 1.8T engine so yours may vary. You may have questions about the data but I doubt I can answer it.

"Info from German Mann employee I spoke to:
Carol Hubbard (U.S.): 269-329-7211 (she forwarded my questions to Germany)
Jurgen Englmaler: 269 327-0057
Sellers: Volkparts.com : 1-800-322-6006 (paid $43.70 for six w/shipping) or
Filtersupplyamerica.com: 904 695-2539
Mann Filters – GTI 1.8t (OEM Supplier)
• Oil Filter (W 719/30) – 9 micron filtration at 99.5 – 99.9% efficiency
- Flow rate: 18 liters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
- By-pass valve opens at 2.5 bar = 36.3 psi
- Cellulose treated with chemical – no fiberglass filters allowed in Germany
- Long-life filter – has recently been greatly improved to allow VW/Audi’s extended drain intervals
• Air Filter (C 37153) – 2 to 3 micron filtration at 99.8% efficiency
- Flow rate: 6 cubic meters/min at ? pressure (tech guy did not know pressure)
• Fuel Filter (WK 730-1) – 10 micron filtration at ? efficiency
- Flow rate: 90 liters/hr at ? pressure (tech guy did not know)"
i believe it . Its not unrealistic at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
Mann is 99.9% at 9um.

Can you provide a published link/citing to that spec? As it 'seems' quite an impressive spec, like to see the ISO test procedure attached to it.

Quote:
...Rebranded filters that started out as junk are still junk...

'If true', one only has look as far the front door of Mann&Hummel corporate to find the culprit. After 10 years of partial and full ownership of the NA operations, no excuse for the poor or nonexistent leadership. Can't pass the buck at this point.

Corporate takeover is one thing if you buy the site and re fit it to your specs, but a completely different animal if you buy the whole operation and leave it unchanged, just transfer of ownership papers and enjoy the profit.....

So you're opinion is that M&H simply bought Purolator US to leach the profits, and make no improvements, or worse basically cannibalize Purolator US. Good to know the company you so admire has those kinds of business practices. One would have accept though that product was always a poor one, based on my experience that is not true. But your provincial views make for unsurprising reading at this point.

And as I suspected, you cannot provide an ISO test spec for the claimed Mann spec, specifically the current efficiency standard ISO 4548-12. Rather a single word of mouth anecdote regarding one filter dating back to 2003 with no test spec at all. And even JAG admitted back in 07 he couldn't be sure what test procedure(s) (SAE,ISO) was used to obtain the 2003 anecdotal information. So for now I'll have to consider that efficiency information as unpublished and unsubstantiated.

That's not to say Mann doesn't make a quality filter product, but if an apples to apples efficiency comparison is the goal, a published standard must be attached to be credible.

it is easy to compare! take a fleetguard 14000n test it ,then compare it to say a microgreen for car, similar technology, then compare with a man or other . numbers dont lie!

How are you testing them that is easy? What numbers exactly?

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
it is easy to compare! take a fleetguard 14000n test it ,then compare it to say a microgreen for car, similar technology, then compare with a man or other . numbers dont lie!

Mann is 99.9% at 9um.

Not here it's not, because our Manns (unless it's a German car) are rebranded Purolator classics. They only stop 99.9% of the particle size that's infinitesimally larger than the biggest media tear.
Still waiting for the evidence of engine damage caused by these hypothetical tears.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Mann is 99.9% at 9um.
Not here it's not, because our Manns (unless it's a German car) are rebranded Purolator classics. They only stop 99.9% of the particle size that's infinitesimally larger than the biggest media tear.
Still waiting for the evidence of engine damage caused by these hypothetical tears.
Why would anyone choose to spend money on a product that is known to fail? This is point that you clearly miss. No one is saying this is a "pile of engines that have failed due to torn media", they are saying they choose to spend their money wisely and not blindly in a fanboyism way.

Originally Posted By: Bob69
Not looking for the "best" filter, asked for information from anyone who knows of a filter that could filter out the smallest particles, ie: the lowest micron Absolute rating. Not asking for guesses (read original post), asking for those who actually have used one of these filters.

Thank you

If you want the best at micro-filtering, you are also desiring restriction to oil flow.

How about asking for a filter that is relatively inexpensive - filters well and yet still flows well?

How about a Fram Tough Guard, Wix or NAPA Gold? Wait! I just gave you the answer.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Mann is 99.9% at 9um.
Why would anyone choose to spend money on a product that is known to fail? This is point that you clearly miss. No one is saying this is a "pile of engines that have failed due to torn media", they are saying they choose to spend their money wisely and not blindly in a fanboyism way.

#Tearolatorfanboy
laugh.gif

To answer a couple of earlier questions: I read through a couple of threads about the Boss filter, plan to send out an EOA when I change it out, might it might be six months until that happens.

Will probably not leave the filter on for 15,000 miles as I change my oil at 5000-8000 miles using Mobil 1 10W-40. If I change at 5000 miles I will install a new filter, if I run the oil longer I usually replace the filter (whichever brand) at 4000-5000 miles even if not required, just my habit, then top off the oil for a few thousand more miles. I do regular EOA and know the Mobil 1 in my engine will easily go 10,000 miles, but this engine has occasionally showed a very small amount of lead in the test results so I like to change it more often to pick up any problems that might develop.

You are quite likely correct on that. However, when I buy a filter, I expect its media to maintain its structural integrity. If a filter couldn't keep its coat of paint for an OCI, I'd stop buying it, too.

[censored], if its really 99.9% then those filters are a steal. They are dirt cheap, never fail and have such an insane filtering efficiency.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back