Oil filter for my Olds 307

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I'm going to order some oil filters from Rockauto and I need some help.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1214378,parttype,5340 Link doesn't seem to be working....

I use my Olds Delta 88 '80 as my daily driver, and I use Mobil Delvac 1400 10w-30 in my engine. My oil change interval is 7000km (~4400miles).

I live in Finland and basically all filters you can find here for US made cars are WIX or ACDelco. Those filters are very expensive too. One internet store has WIX filter for 13.50€ (~15$). I can get one WIX or ACDelco from my local dealer for 10 euros.

Thats why I have started to think I should order oil filters straight from US. I have calculated that even after huge shipping cost, customs duty and Finlands 24% VAT, I can still get cheaper filters from US than Finland.

In Rockauto, there is huge selection of filters. Which one would be good for me?

I have used Mann-Filter in my Euro-cars and I have liked them. Mann-Filters are always black in here. Is that Mann-filter fake or why it's white colored? It's pretty cheap too for Mann-filter, usually here Mann-filters are best and most expensive filters.

ACDelco is good brand too, but I have read horrorstories about new E-core design. I had one PF61E AC-delco. I don't know how it performed, I never opened it. There is PF61F filter in Rockauto. Are those good quality filters with no e-core?

Last edited:
Whats the cheapest local option? I'd go that route and just buy a local filter when you need one. You might not use an entire case of oil filters before you sell the car, especially a 35 year old car.

Buy locally or from some other EU member country. The Mann and Bosch filters sold in the US for domestic and Japanese are not the same filters sold in Europe.
They are made by Purolator which have a bad reputation, don't waste your money unless you want filters with tears in them.

10 Euro's is not bad, i would just use one of the wix or Delco that you can get. Any filter should be fine for 4K mi oil changes as long as its not a Purolater with tears. LOL

Would a locally sourced Euro made equivalent like a Mann, Hengst, Mahle or Magneti Marelli be less expensive than shipping a US made filter? A good resource to cross reference filters is Oilfilter Crossreference.

Mann filters in the US are white because they are rebadged Purolators (Mann owns the Purolator brand). We also get the European black ones, and they are constructed much better than the white US made Manns. I use a Euro made Mann in my daughter's VW, and it is one the the best constructed filters I've seen. If you could cross reference your Oldsmobile application to a European made Mann I think you would have your answer.

Rock can be intimidating.

I like Wix, it's better than an AC. Even @ $15, they're not expensive.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Whats the cheapest local option? I'd go that route and just buy a local filter when you need one. You might not use an entire case of oil filters before you sell the car, especially a 35 year old car.
I have tuned and fixed this car a lot. I'm a student so I don't have money for different car in couple of years. I think I'm able to use case of oil filters before I sell my car.

I can sell the rest of my filters if I sell my car before I have used all my filters. Olds 307 is popular engine here because we have here lots of 80's full size GM station wagons. Our taxation had a loophole in 80's and 90's which allowed big full size wagons to be registered as a van and therefore they had minimal tax rates compared to registeration as a normal passenger car.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
Would a locally sourced Euro made equivalent like a Mann, Hengst, Mahle or Magneti Marelli be less expensive than shipping a US made filter? A good resource to cross reference filters is Oilfilter Crossreference.

Problem is I can't find any european made filters for my car. I have visited in many filter manufacturers european homepages and no one has a match. Those websites can identify Wix filter number so I'm pretty sure European manufacturers just don't make filters for older US made cars.

Two Finnish filter manufacturers: M-filter and Teho-filter have identification codes for many USA cars but in the past they had very bad reputation. I was working at the car part store three years ago and many people refused to buy M-filter or Teho-filter oilfilters. I don't know are they still as bad as people think.

Nearly all filters bought here (mainly ACDelcos and Wix, sometimes Fram) for USA-cars are Made in USA, so they are probably the same as Rockauto's filters (Wix filters for european cars are often made in Poland or Italy if my memory serves). I had luck with my Cadillac 472 engine. Some European engines used the same filter as Cadillac and I could get european made black Mann Filter for my car.

It seems like I can get same filters for less than half of their price from USA than from my local dealer. I wonder are there any better options than Wix or ACDelco?

Wix and AC are both made here in the USA when you buy them here, I wouldnt spend too much time on alternatives, personally I think the Wix is the best filter out there in terms of design and construction and QC, and since it's American, the application for your car is accurate, and not a cross reference from a Euro maker that has never seen..nevertheless measured or spec'd..an older USA car.

Get the Wix...

Rock Auto currently has the Mobil 1 M1206 on closeout for $3.17 each. Order some of those as they are really good filters and that is a steal of a price. With shipping and your VAT they still may be cheaper than what you can get locally.

i had one for years and i used 10w40 pennzoil and purolater or a/c delco filter before both those filter companies quality went bad and got a little over 400,000 miles on an 83 Oldsmobile custom cruiser still ran when i got rid of it...Great car

If you are going to that trouble - get together with a few friends and place one big order, maybe big enough to sell a few and make your filters cheaper or free
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back