oil filter for 03 accord v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys, im looking to change my moms oil on her new accord, but im stuck on what filter to get. Ive done a change on an 01 accord b4(same engine) and I used an ac delco, which worked great. Any other suggestions besides the ac delco(I dont want to get the ones from the dealer, they charge too much $$$ for them)?

Also, regarding the new washer(the supposive crush washer thats just a regular washer) every oil change, does anyone actually replace them every oil change? Bc on my civic, I just used one over again till I changed the oil again.

Thanks,

Aaron

Yes. They are not a regular washer. Crush washers are made of a soft aluminum that conforms to the bolt and pan ensuring a problem free seal.

They are inexpensive. I just bought 8 for a whopping $2.15 including tax.

oh well, I just used it over again, if I find any leaks, then ill just do the oil change again. I used one on my 2002 honda civic before, and it never leaked or dripped a drop, so I will just replace it the next oil change. Went with a pure one oil filter and mobil 1 0w20 this time. Probably will run it for about 5000 miles.

I've been using Wix filters on my V-6 accord lately, but am sure the Delco filters are at least as good. The Wix # is 51334. I am going to try a larger capacity filter (51344) on my next change.
The aluminum washers do need to be good and flat on the faces. If you find yourself without a new one you can put a piece of fine sandpaper on a flat surface and lap the faces in again. I put a piece of aluminum bar in my CNC at work and whipped out about 20 of them.
cool.gif

Honda Guy- I understand why it might seem ok to reuse the washer. Might work. I can tell you from experience that it is ESSENTIAL to use the washer. We had to replace the oil pan in ur previous Honda because people doing the oil changes had not used the washers, the bolt had been overthreaded into the pan over time, and oil leaked continuously.

The new washers are so cheap, I think it's worth changing them each time.

AC is better than anything in its price group. The ST is cheaper and about as good as the more expensive filters except the AC. Forget Fram. I have no experience with the upper level priced filters.

Thanks for the info guys. I am just using the washer over this time only. Like I said, I have done it on my 2002 civic, and it was fine. Thing is, the dealer wasn't open, so I wasn't able to go get the washers. I usually replace mine every oil change.

On ours, I just flip the washer every oil change. Yes the washers are cheap, but one time I didn't have a washer and flipping the washer worked great...have been doing it ever since.

I change my own oil & filter but my Honda dealer gives me the washer for free. I just go into the parts department and then give me one.

I also have an '03 Accord. Honda switched to a smaller filter on the '03 US models, but you can use the larger filter as you have been on your '02.

Wix 51334 filter is my current choice, though I have also used the PureOne filter.

The crush washers are DORMAN # 095-015 . I buy them in boxes of 15 at a time at $.37 each from www.rockauto.com.

John

The AC Delco PF1127 works very well on Hondas and can be had for less than $4. Other good choices would be WIX or Honda Filtech. H and A accessories has the oversized Filtech.

My local Honda dealer charged me $.95 for one washer. It is the only dealer within three hours of me.

I have since found some plastic ones of the same size but I have not tried them yet. I think some Chevys use plastic washers.

I also have some copper ones that I use on my Ford PU and they look to be about the same size.

I will probably still use the Honda filters for awhile for the warrantee but I may not forgive them for the washer.
mad.gif
He did scotch tape it onto the filter so I would not loose it though.

You can get the washers for $0.19 each from www.manchesterhonda.com. Of course it is only practical if you are ordering some other supplies from them as well but there prices are so good that for accessories and supplies that it may be worth your time to check it out.

Yeah I understand your washer reasoning. I used the same washer on my Prelude for over 2 years and it never leaked. It was one that came from the dealership. However, the washer on my Integra started leaking after its third oil change after I bought it used, but that washer was a thinner washer than that from the dealership and was a larger diameter. So, while I figure that the OEM washer can go a long time before it leaks, I just made a compromise and decided that I would re-use the same washer for four oil changes then spend the $0.35 on a new one from Honda and go another four. It has worked for me so far. As far as Hondas go, their washers are of a diameter that extend just before the edge of the oil pan. So the entire surface area of the washer is on a flat surface. I think this is why they do not leak for such long periods it at all. Other people that have had problems with oil leaking from the drain bolt washer is sometimes due to the washer diameter being too large when part of it would bend slightly to conform to the shape of the oil pan. So then when they go to re-use it, the bend part of the washer may no longer be in the same location as before and will leak.
Heh, I jsut realized this post was about which oil filter and not about washers.
I used practically every filter for my hondas except AC delco, ST and purolator. I'm sure they are good based on your experience. I really like Wix which I am using now, but I am poor and about to graduate so I plan on using Purolator Premium filters @ $1.99 (not the PureOne). I am more concerned with flow characterics than I am about filtering efficiency especially since I do not do extended drains. I used Bosch before, but I must say that I heard the most start up noise with that particular filter and don't plan on using it again, but everyother filter I have tried I have been satisfied with. If the general consensus is that AC Delco's are better that purolator premium, I may try that one too since it is only a few cents more.

[ February 19, 2004, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: HondaRD ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back