Oil Filter Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from claimed filtering efficiency ratings, cut open analysis, and personal testimonials...how are consumers suppose to compare and contrast the major oil filters available? I have used WIX XP and am now using Fram Ultras (which I freely admit is over kill in my application). Wix won't disclose their filtering on the XP as another member posted. How do you all make your decisions regarding oil filters?

Last edited:
I use the Fram tough guard with a brand name synthetic oil(what ever is on the best roll back at Walmart) for 8K miles or so and dont give another thought about it.

Personally, my #1 requirement is filter efficiency (yes, I'm an efficiency fanboy and many here know why), then holding capacity and delta-p vs flow if the data is obtainable (that data is very hard to get). After that I go for construction (silicon ADBV is also looked for), reliability (ie no media or other component failures during use), price and availability. Doesn't' matter what name is on the side of the can (regardless of my so called "company rep" status -
lol.gif
), if it meets my requirements it will be one I'd use.

I too will be using the Fram TG's starting this spring. The reason why is the info I have read and seen here, nothing more.

I mistakenly thought the Ultra or XG series would be the best thinking it was the absolute best filter available. I quickly learned, however, on here, that is designed to go 20,000 miles, which is overkill for my applications.

There really isn't anything about it that is a whole lot better than the TG, (including filtering), other than it being built a little more robust to go to the 20,000 mile interval.

I normally go with OEM filters. Motorcraft for Ford/Lincoln, Denso for Toyota and Honda for Acura. Haven't noticed any problem so far. I used FRAM UG, Napa Gold and Mobil 1 in the past few times. Once a year I also get used oil analysis done that tells me engine health.

Same here BKTX. Oem on Sienna and F550...Fram or equivalent on Mazda and Dodge. Just curious what you all look for. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
How do you all make your decisions regarding oil filters?

For me, my first thought was if high efficiency is available at a negligible price difference, then why not?

I had decided to run full synthetics for longer in time and mileage than the manufacturer oci, so the cleaner the oil the better.

So I first went with Pure One's / Bosch Premiums which were 99.9% efficient at 20 microns.

Then there were quality issues being widely reported with those filters so I wanted to move to something more reliable with similar efficiency.

I then realized the advantage of running a Fram Ultra for my situation:

- The vehicle has an oil filter in an awkward location and makes a mess when changing which I would ideally avoid
- I had a Fumoto valve on the vehicle so apart from the filter, I could have a zero mess oil change
- My annual mileage is relatively low, the engine is in good condition, so I don't utilize any filter's holding capacity

Because the Fram Ultra is 100% synthetic and I live in a rust free state, I don't have to change it for multiple ocis which will take years in my case. My oil changes take a few minutes using the Fumoto to drain directly into the disposal jug. The only thing I had to get my head around was leaving half a quart not drained.

Based on my criteria, I simply made the logical choice. I looked at the Wix XP and Mobil filters as well. Mobil is not 100% synthetic while Wix XP has very low filtering efficiency. For the same or lower price, the Fram Ultra is the best performer and value.

Like what ZeeOSix said above. Construction, efficiency, materials used, reputation. It all points to Fram Ultra right now in canister filters, the king.
For cartridge oil filters, they seem to be fine in just mixed cellulose-glass fiber media in most cases. Fram ToughGuard or Mobil1 cartridges or the German cartridge filters are fine.

I don't believe it matters all that much. I use Bosch. Used an OCOD but had trouble getting it off the car.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Based on my criteria, I simply made the logical choice. I looked at the Wix XP and Mobil filters as well. Mobil is not 100% synthetic while Wix XP has very low filtering efficiency. For the same or lower price, the Fram Ultra is the best performer and value.

Stop !!! ... you're sounding like a "company rep".
lol.gif
To the TFH conspiracy guys ...
laugh.gif

If you do 5k or less, then any jobber oil filter will do fine in my experience. If you do extended or multi OCI with one filter, then Fram ultra or the like is what you want.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

lol.gif
laugh.gif

OK then, I better add that in Euro applications I don't use the Fram Ultra. I use the Mann cartridge filters.

Ideally, I would have some definitive information on the efficiency of the Mann filter but since it is the OEM filter supplier and we use thick Euro oil, and non OE manufacturer cartridges have fitment issues, and the Mann is cheaper, it seems like the Mann is the all round better choice than a Fram Ultra.

mbacfp said:
I then realized the advantage of running a Fram Ultra for my situation:

- The vehicle has an oil filter in an awkward location and makes a mess when changing which I would ideally avoid
- I had a Fumoto valve on the vehicle so apart from the filter, I could have a zero mess oil change
- My annual mileage is relatively low, the engine is in good condition, so I don't utilize any filter's holding capacity

Because the Fram Ultra is 100% synthetic and I live in a rust free state, I don't have to change it for multiple ocis which will take years in my case. My oil changes take a few minutes using the Fumoto to drain directly into the disposal jug. The only thing I had to get my head around was leaving half a quart not drained.

Because of not changing out the filter or from using the Fumoto?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
The only thing I had to get my head around was leaving half a quart not drained.

Because of not changing out the filter or from using the Fumoto?

The filter.

I've tried all the major filters over the years, slapping a pair of FilterMags on a spin on oil filter
is the one thing that makes a visible difference including the UOA results.
Been using them for 4-5 yrs now.

So my guideline is national brand filter, no no-name or store brand + FilterMags or at least a
slew of neodynium bar magnets!

Any 99% filter at 20 microns works for me after that price is the consideration. Last few filter that meet that criteria ran between $6.70 and $8.97 They will very likely never see over 7500 miles.

I buy the Fram Ultra on ebay for around $4.50 each for six. I also have Amsoil/Royal Purple and others in my stash. I use Amsoil when rock climbing mountainous terrain etc. I was an OEM diehard, until I met BITOG and bit from the tree of knowledge! Of course; we only know what we are told. We live in a society of disposable society of Planned obsolescence. Nothing is made to last, but that's my 2 cents. In the end, who knows? I try to make informative decisions, but we live in the hall of mirrors, so to speak. Enjoy life!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

lol.gif
laugh.gif

OK then, I better add that in Euro applications I don't use the Fram Ultra. I use the Mann cartridge filters.

I was sarcastically joking due to the tin foil hat conspiracy theorists coming out of the woodwork lately.

I just use the Fram Ultra because I like having a 15,000 mi filter and I push them that far. Plus Fram makes Honda filters so its easier to stay with a like filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back