Oil Filter Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Aside from claimed filtering efficiency ratings, cut open analysis, and personal testimonials...how are consumers suppose to compare and contrast the major oil filters available? ....... How do you all make your decisions regarding oil filters?

Aside from using facts, how are consumers supposed to make a choice? Easy answer; marketing hype and mythology. Same as lubes.

I make my decision by first defining the minimum limits I expect in terms of quality and performance, then find the product at a tolerable price point that is easy to get.

Hence, for me, TGs and Wix/NG.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
The only thing I had to get my head around was leaving half a quart not drained.

Because of not changing out the filter or from using the Fumoto?

The filter.

Thanks
cheers3.gif

I was thinking you might be talking about the Fumoto as once installed, makes your drain hole a tad smaller and it raises the drain height by adding something a little higher in height to the drain hole and therefore would leave a little bit more oil in the bottom of the drain pan.

I like those, and have considered getting a couple for my applications as well for their ease of use, but I thought if I did, I would, after all the oil is drained, remove it to get the remaining last bit of oil out that would normally come out with just the factory drain plug.
I know that is being anal, but I believe in getting out as much dirty oil as I can, always. With my Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile, it's amazing how much more oil I can get out of the sump and dry sump tank by raising and lowering it with a floor jack.

To CharlieBauer and irv and everyone else:

"...The only thing I had to get my head around was leaving half a quart not drained."

I will be installing a Fumoto on my neighbor's car (2011 Honda Accord 4 cyl.) and going to 2 5,000 mile OCIs per filter so I've focused my fantastic 3 dimensional mind on the amount of remaining oil.

I don't think it could come to 4 oz. Of course that's with this application's small filter.

Too bad I haven't been accurately measuring what gets the car to FULL with a filter change.

Originally Posted By: irv
Thanks
cheers3.gif

I was thinking you might be talking about the Fumoto as once installed, makes your drain hole a tad smaller and it raises the drain height by adding something a little higher in height to the drain hole and therefore would leave a little bit more oil in the bottom of the drain pan.

I like those, and have considered getting a couple for my applications as well for their ease of use, but I thought if I did, I would, after all the oil is drained, remove it to get the remaining last bit of oil out that would normally come out with just the factory drain plug.
I know that is being anal, but I believe in getting out as much dirty oil as I can, always. With my Yamaha 4 stroke snowmobile, it's amazing how much more oil I can get out of the sump and dry sump tank by raising and lowering it with a floor jack.

Yes I know that is a concern for some. Fumoto have a picture that shows the Fumoto threads not being long enough to enter the pan. Of course, in some cases it might not work like that. I saw a user who cut a notch into their Fumoto to allow more to drain out.

I think the best thing to do is actually measure the female thread depth and compare it to the Fumoto.

In my case, the Fumoto goes in horizontally so I don't have that problem and as a bonus, the threads do not protude into the pan, so a truly minimal amount of oil does not come out compared to using a drain plug. Plus my car is raised from the front which helps the drain even more especially compared to if it were done at a dealer or other oil change place where the car would remain level.

In fact, this last oil change, I actually added a little fresh oil at the end of the drain, and the tinniest amount of old oil came out before fresh oil appeared out of the Fumoto. That was a good test for my horizontal application but maybe not a good one for a vertical one.

Originally Posted By: Kira
To CharlieBauer and irv and everyone else:

"...The only thing I had to get my head around was leaving half a quart not drained."

I will be installing a Fumoto on my neighbor's car (2011 Honda Accord 4 cyl.) and going to 2 5,000 mile OCIs per filter so I've focused my fantastic 3 dimensional mind on the amount of remaining oil.

I don't think it could come to 4 oz. Of course that's with this application's small filter.

Too bad I haven't been accurately measuring what gets the car to FULL with a filter change.

I actually didn't accurately measure what went in so my half quart is a guess.

However, in my case, there is a significant amount of oil above the filter that comes out when the filter is removed, so it isn't just what is in the filter that counts.

And I may have read somewhere for my car what the oil change quantity is with and without a filter change. That info is available for many vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back