Oil filter — clean/empty — reuse

Yes…. its beckons to be asked… WHY…??? just why?? Or why bother…?? Yes, go ahead and roll your eyes here… LOL

Here is it…. I have a new to me, Husq lawn tractor [ 59 hours on the clock when I got it.. ] has gas seeping in crankcase issue, I discovered when I did my first OCI. Yes most likely a float/needle issue I plan to address as soon as I can find a suitable replacement carb.

Since then, I've installed a gas shutoff valve on the fuel line and did 3 OCI.
On one of those OCI I drained and reinstalled the same filter as it had less than one hour service, so IMO its still a new filter…. gas in new oil smell remains - suspect it came from the filter and possibly residual gas-oil in the sump..

This filter is now drained [ 95%? ] sitting open in my shop… just letting it air out.. until next year or whenever..
Has anyone ever tried to clean/clear out a filter of oil/contaminants…??
Yah it seems silly… thought id ask before I start tossing new filter in the recycle program… im funny that way.
Any constructive or face-palm comments welcome… ...

Cheers
J.

I don't know how you would remove contaminants without destroying the filter, but what solid contaminants could there be? Gasoline will eventually evaporate out over a few weeks. With one hour on the filter, it's brand new and can be used.

Originally Posted by wwillson
I don't know how you would remove contaminants without destroying the filter, but what solid contaminants could there be? Gasoline will eventually evaporate out over a few weeks. With one hour on the filter, it's brand new and can be used.

indeed i wasnt worried too much about solid contaminants... it was more about removing the little gaz contaminated oil left behind..

also, as mentioned above... i suspect the gas will vap-off over time

Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL
This filter is now drained [ 95%? ] sitting open in my shop… just letting it air out.. until next year or whenever..

Only way you could "flush" out the filter of old "gassy" oil is fill it with new oil through the center tube until it won't take any more. Then turn it base down and let the oil drain out. After that, take a couple of Q-Tips and bend them in half and carefully put them into a couple of the ADBV inlet holes in the base to crack open the ADBV, then put the filter base down in a funnel and let the rest of the oil drain out. That will only flush out any old oil. Anything debris trapped in the filter media will stay there, which won't hurt anything.

Or you could just use a new filter since it sounds like a lot of hassle.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by wwillson
... Gasoline will eventually evaporate out over a few weeks. With one hour on the filter, it's brand new and can be used.
Exactly. There won't be enough fuel left in the filter to matter, compared to fuel that might get into the oil. Just use it!

:rolleyes: OK I got that out of the way
laugh.gif

If you must reuse a filter, just wipe off the exterior and put it back on. Do not try to clean the insides, you will do much more harm than good.

Originally Posted by dwendt44
The 3614 Fram is $4 at Wal-mart. Their house brand, Supertech 3614 is $3.

Just change it and forgetaboutit.

My ¢

x2,
33.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by 2K2AcuraTL

Only way you could "flush" out the filter of old "gassy" oil is fill it with new oil through the center tube until it won't take any more. Then turn it base down and let the oil drain out. After that, take a couple of Q-Tips and bend them in half and carefully put them into a couple of the ADBV inlet holes in the base to crack open the ADBV, then put the filter base down in a funnel and let the rest of the oil drain out. That will only flush out any old oil. Anything debris trapped in the filter media will stay there, which won't hurt anything.

Or you could just use a new filter since it sounds like a lot of hassle.
grin2.gif

Interesting recommendation... just may try it...
thx

Originally Posted by DGXR
:rolleyes: OK I got that out of the way
laugh.gif

If you must reuse a filter, just wipe off the exterior and put it back on. Do not try to clean the insides, you will do much more harm than good.

thats what I thought as well on my first OCI ... wrong...!!... too much gas left in the filter.... brand new oil was immediately contaminated...

Originally Posted by Malo83
Originally Posted by dwendt44
The 3614 Fram is $4 at Wal-mart. Their house brand, Supertech 3614 is $3.

Just change it and forgetaboutit.

My ¢

x2,
33.gif

yah ok guys.. its only 3-4 bucks...maybe for you... we ALWAYS pay more for ordinary stuff up here... if I start throwing away good filters for nothing... it cut into me Scotch budget...
wink.gif
LOL

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
How does tht gas affect the rubber antibackflow valve. I'm sure it will shorten its life.

Agree, I would have tossed the filter for a new one.

Back