Oil filter change NIGHTMARE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Best thing I've used are channel locks. The more force you use to turn the filter,the tighter they clamp down. They work like a pipe wrench.

Big +1. The only thing that has worked for me every time.

I have used the claw type filter wrench that you show with an electric impact wrench....zips em right off.....after it crushes them....
lol.gif

I love those 3 claw filter tools. The best, and most universal filter remover tool ever made! I use them exclusively on any Dodge Cummins I work on, got tired of busting my hands hard whenever the filter cup that's "made for" the filter on those trucks slips off. No longer an issue with the 3 claw machine!
I only wish there was a bigger one for 7.3 Powerstroke oil filters, those giant behemoths can be a real nightmare to get off if they are overtightened.

Over the years I have ran into lots of stuck filters. I have to say I have never failed using the correct size quality oil filter metalstrap wrench. Just put it up as close to the base as you can as its thicker there and less likely to crush. I only had one that I had to slip a craftsman screwdriver under the strap for extra bite. The square shaft type screwdriver. Maybe I have just not met my match LOL....

Too bad Motorcraft oil filters quality went way way down they used to be my go to filters. Now i use the Fram Ultra..2 years ago i would never use a Fram now i won't use a purolator.. How quality changes..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Too bad Motorcraft oil filters quality went way way down they used to be my go to filters. Now i use the Fram Ultra..2 years ago i would never use a Fram now i won't use a purolator.. How quality changes..

Ford still using them on their Cobra GT500, its still good for me. A twin turbo 03 cobra 1000whp still using motorcraft oil filter, its good for me
smile.gif

Also sure in every one mind, ultra is superior, keep using it, some day it having problem and no one will ever mention it again, I been around as same time as you are ( this is my second account, my first account Helen unlock me 2 time, after we having a talk. and IDK who keep block it again, I dont want bother Helen so I just forget about it ), rememeber all those BITOG favorite, none of them and rarely any of them is bring it daily.

I remember , stay way from Fram OCOD and buying pure1, now its other way around lol. Some day it will happen to ultra too.

The 'first change' on my Mountaineer when I got it had me using the strap wrench and lifting against my entire body weight before it came loose. It seemed like a full turn before it was hand-turnable, too.

I had a friend that worked at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change for a while and he said that their training was to put the filters on as tight as they possibly could with their hands.

Sorry for your filter removal issue. Sometimes caused by over torqueing the filter and/or not lubing the sealing gasket. Most likely the former. Glad the three prong finally solved your issue.

Seen many good suggestions for filter removal tools in this thread. IMO, sometimes the best tool can depend on the filter location, orientation and access. What may work well in one application may not work as well or at all in another.

As for the off topic Negative Nancy broken record commenting about your filter choice, best to give it very little or no credence at all. Just use the MC for the reasonable plan you stated in the other recent MC thread and then cut and post the results when you're done.

I've been fortunate to have that happen only once to me. Bought a Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 new in 2004 (still have it) and the factory filter would not come off. I had the same experience as you. Tried everything for an hour; channel locks, strap wrenches, etc.; nothing worked. Ended up mangling the Mopar filter and getting it off with the large screwdriver punched through the housing trick. Was lucky there was enough room under there to be able to do that. What a frustrating mess. Glad you got it taken are of.

Hi, I had a very tight filter experience on the van I purchased recently. I had a hard time getting it off. I figured the previous owner really over tightened it. Then I went to change the oil a second time, and it was very tight again. Hummmmm... that one is on me.

I have changed oil many, many times. The filters on the van are bigger in diameter, so I wonder if I am over tightening due to the larger diameter of the filter allowing me to apply more torque?

A friend taught me a trick when I was struggling to get a filter off one time ... use a sheet of sandpaper. Wrap the sandpaper around the filter and grab it and remove the filter. To my surprise it actually worked. YMMV

Yep - I read about the sandpaper trick on here; works great when changing a filter on someone's car that a lube shop over-tightened previously. Never needed if I did the last change.

its a little dented but you could have used that filter again..Only Kidding lol
You are better off with an oem Motorcraft filter anyway... I almost changed to the fram ultra XG-2 but decided to stay with motorcraft after i saw the way the inside looked on the ultra looking through the mounting hole.. These days oil filters seem to be hit or miss.

You are better off with an oem Motorcraft filter anyway... I almost changed to the fram ultra XG-2 but decided to stay with motorcraft after i saw the way the inside looked on the ultra looking through the mounting hole.

Wait a minute ... you were all anti-Motorcraft before because they are made by Tearolator, but you'd rather have possible torn media than some holes that have a little flare to the lip?
eek.gif

Yeah zee0six i figure the Motorcraft is on millions of Fords problem is i ran out of filters i can trust and Motorcraft seems to be the less of all evils at least for Ford engines..im leaning toward the napa gold these days. Im leery about the Fram ultra seeing the inside on the XG-2 is different on three of the same model filters i looked at.. Something is amiss with them no matter what anyone says and until things go back to the way they were im through with fram.

Im checking on a new asian filter that was mentioned at the engine rebuilding meeting a few of the shops now use them and they claim they are nice filters.. I will see when i look at them. They claim they are the same make as the Hyundai filters but i don't know for sure yet.

Filters seem to change a lot these days i remember when i used the group 7 oil filter for about 30 years at the shop there was almost never a change in their design until about 2 years ago when purolater quality went in the toilet. A few of the shops scrambled to find a decent filter trying a number of brands..

I Love BMW E46 320D
smile.gif
the oil filter is under a cap that is real easy to remove and only costs 5€ MAHLE

What nightmare experience you pass with that.

Pay a visit to the person who tight it so much and offer him the old filter all mess up, ask him if that's a good job?
Only that. Let him think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back