Oil filter as a coolant filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Reading up on coolant filtration and I came across a post on here by trynew where he said using an oil filter inline with a heater hose will work. Has anyone on here done it?

I have a 96 dodge ram where the heater core was clogged when I bough it. Shortly after repairing that the radiator end caps started leaking. I suspect the previous owner used a stop leak product.I'd like to catch any that may be left as well as scale rust and sand that could be potentially floating around in there.

I have the filter mount and the fittings. If its safe it'll only cost me a few bucks to install.

Thoughts?

If coolant is changed regularly, it doesn't really develop the particulates...so, why filter something that doesn't need it?

In your case, with the history, I would flush (including backflush on the core...) and be done with it. Adding a filter adds flow restriction and uneccessary complication...

The threads are different, I'd have to buy a new head. If what I have isn't usable I'll be going this route.

As far as conventional maintenance goes, your correct. This little project couldn't hurt if it worked properly and I think it's kinda cool.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
If coolant is changed regularly, it doesn't really develop the particulates...so, why filter something that doesn't need it?

That's normally true but the DODGE trucks seem to come from the factory with buckets of casting sand in the block. This casting sand plugs up the heater and rad.

Yes it will work fine, I had a P1 as a coolant filter on my car for a year with very minimal media distortion as a result of it. Now I'm using a NG with no ADBV to help keep restriction to a minimum since the line its attached to is just a small throttle bypass line with probably a very low flow capability if obstructed.

Caught loads of sandy particulate as well, definitely worth it IMO.

I would not do this!

Many years of experience with industrial cutting fluid filtration systems has shown that one type of media is best for mineral oil based cutting fluids (i.e. engine oil in this case) while another is best with water based coolants (i.e. glycol/water coolant in this case).

Actually, the media that works best with oil will "blind off" when used with water based solutions not passing anything, and vice versa.

Since an oil filter is desinged to be used with mineral oil and synthetic oil lubricating fluids, I would not trust it to work properly when used with a water solution. Some filters may work fine - today - and suddenly blind off on the next filter change as the manufacturer refines their product.

Last edited:
Check with filterbarn-they were able to fix me up with a Fleetguard head & Luberfiner coolant filter elements for my old 7.3 Ford fairly cheaply. The "sandy" particulate can also be silicate that's dropped out of solution from a neglected conventional green cooling system-and the older green AF had even more silicate than the newer green has.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Check with filterbarn-they were able to fix me up with a Fleetguard head & Luberfiner coolant filter elements for my old 7.3 Ford fairly cheaply. The "sandy" particulate can also be silicate that's dropped out of solution from a neglected conventional green cooling system-and the older green AF had even more silicate than the newer green has.
Silicate free coolant, from all the evidence I have, for its entire existence in my case.

I have been using oil filters as coolant filters for some years. I change them once a year. I haven't had any problems. It is unorthodox, so I can't guarantee the same results for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back