Changing from OEM Mopar OAT coolant to P-OAT for heater core longevity?

I have 2018 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 Gas engine. This model and many other Chrysler products in this era seem to be plagued by plugged heater cores. Some claim it is casting sand making its way loose into the heater core, others say it's scale formation. I have heard ford changed from their Orange OAT coolant to the Yellow P-OAT partially due to plugged heater cores. Would changing from the Mopar coolant reduce the odds of a plugged heater core? I was considering using the Motorcraft yellow coolant or the Peak Final Charge Pro-Series.

Is there a quality inline filter that anyone would recommend on the heater core inlet line?

I can't answer your questions but I believe the issue which forced Ford to change coolants involved only 1 vehicle line....the Transit Connect. If you decide to change coolants make sure you do a complete flush. Prestone's 10 year coolant is alleged to be the same as Ford Yellow.

I can't answer your questions but I believe the issue which forced Ford to change coolants involved only 1 vehicle line....the Transit Connect. If you decide to change coolants make sure you do a complete flush. Prestone's 10 year coolant is alleged to be the same as Ford Yellow.
That would be my plan to do a complete flush.

I'm already experiencing warm heat, not hot like my previous Ram. I plan to take it to the dealer since I have about 1 month left of bumper to bumper warranty. I just want to prolong the life of the heater core if they do indeed replace it. Heater core replacement is a 8 hour labor job on this truck since the whole dash has to come out.

Is something like RMI-25 worth using?

I’d convert over to Prestone Cor-Guard or Final Charge after warranty is up. Prestone does have a OE endorsement from Ford, after it it was called out in a TSB and the new Motorcraft yellow is Cor-Guard. Final Charge seems like a decent product on paper, and close to a Japanese pHOAT. Prestone seems a bit easier to get.

Passages in heater core are smallest of the system. Any impurities, casting sand, etc will restrict it. Could there be a coolant issue. Perhaps.

The heater core is a fairly easy job on a 2018 if someone has done that type of work before.

I have flushed the cores before for people on that “let’s try this first” budget. I used CLR in the core itself let it sit and flushed both ways with lots and lots of water.

Different coolant may help. Would take a large sample size with many miles to go head to head to find actual results.

I know 5-6 years on an alleged 10 year coolant isn’t great before there is an issue and I have had some customers want it done more conventionally like 3 years.

Back