Oil Filter and Air Filter overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: ThugStyle
In all my years, I have never known someone who mentioned anything about their oil filter failing.

Tear-O-Later ... lots of talk about Purolator media tearing over the last 4 years.

But does it actually cause engine failure?

Sniffing cellulose to identify tree region ... it's all a conspiracy by "Q". Which region is the tearing cellulose from?
laugh.gif

So you agree with me then that the filter brand/quality does not matter? if you just do the scheduled maintenance?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Actuaries do the risk reward studies. It's 10 years, the chances of using any rated oil, consistently changed, and having engine problems due to the oil is probably very close to zero in 10 years. Maybe zero. It's all about getting people to buy Pennzoil for 10 years straight.

This...Pennzoil wanted to increase their business, so they hatched this warranty scheme. It’s no different than buying an extended warranty for your TV, car or toaster. It has zero to do about protecting the customer and everything to do about increasing revenue and market share. Yes, they may pay out a few repairs over the life of the program, but they’ll make hundreds of dollars for every dollar they have to spend. Loose one receipt? No coverage. Possible non-oil issue? No coverage.

And if you want to take them to court? They have lawyers for that. Your cost for a new engine will quickly be cheaper than a fight in court.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I think their warranty requirements are quite reasonable as are the ones for ExxonMobil's guarantee (theirs is even less stringent). If the oil company can't prove that you used their oil why would they pay a warranty claim against it?

Of course. What I'm getting at is that a specific oil filter requirement gets problematic. They could make one, but open a can of worms at the same time. Require a certain brand, and are they all of a sudden required to warranty filter issues, too? Require a certain beta ratio standard or efficiency somewhere, that gets difficult, given what these filter companies often choose not to publish. Or make a certain requirement that no one meets, and it gets silly.

The only conceivable thing that would be feasible to put in warranty requirements would be for OEM filters or filters marketed by the oil companies themselves (i.e. Mobil 1 filters, Pennzoil, Rotella). But, I maintain that to solicit participation in their programs, one doesn't want to make too many hoops to go through. The Pennzoil and Quaker State warranties have enough hoops as it is.

As for the OP's idea that any specified filter would do the job over the life of a vehicle, I don't dispute that. Personally, I want something that's reasonably constructed, reasonably priced, and readily available.

It is interesting that there is no requirement for oil or air filters, other than following the mfg requirement.

The warranty does not read like a marketing tactic, but at it's heart, it is exactly this. "Buy our brand of oil for the next 15+ years, follow the manufacturer's service intervals exactly, and we will warranty your engine if the failure is conclusively proven to be oil-related."

For all of us BITOGers who keep our vehicles long enough, the majority of our engines will go at least 300,000 miles never needing this warranty... many will go 500,000. All the while, many of us are going far beyond the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals, without any trouble whatsoever.

Of course, with your summary, which does apply to many of these warranties, leaving aside the difficulty in Joe Blow suing a giant oil company for damage, in the purest sense, though, if the oil, use as directed, causes a failure, then the oil company is responsible. That has nothing to do with oil filter use, provided the filter is used as directed and maintenance done in the same way.

I sorta agree with this persons post. From what I've gathered by looking at many uoas, is that no particular oil filter seems to out preform as far as cleanliness in used oil. I dunno about air filters. Certainly its obvious sometimes, judging by high the presence of silicone, that there is not an adequate seal in the air intake or that filtering is not up to par for one reason or another. Just my 2 cents .

Originally Posted by ThugStyle
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
In all my years, I have never known someone who mentioned anything about their oil filter failing.

Tear-O-Later ... lots of talk about Purolator media tearing over the last 4 years.

I hate to admit this, but I've been using Purolator filters for years (am planning to change this over the course of the next oil changes due to what I've read hear recently) and have had no engine failures.

I've got an '06 Accord with 229K miles, an '08 Sienna and a '90 Corvette, both with 130K miles, and all running like champs. No smoke and no oil usage over the 7,500 mile OCI's. The use of M1 and PP probably hasn't hurt the situation either....

Originally Posted by Matchlight
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I hate to admit this, but I've been using Purolator filters for years (am planning to change this over the course of the next oil changes due to what I've read hear recently) and have had no engine failures.

I've got an '06 Accord with 229K miles, an '08 Sienna and a '90 Corvette, both with 130K miles, and all running like champs. No smoke and no oil usage over the 7,500 mile OCI's. The use of M1 and PP probably hasn't hurt the situation either....

I've been using the Tearolators in my Toyota for over 7 years now. I currently have a pretty good stock of them I got for under $6 a filter shipped. I've yet to open on and find a tear in it. I've used both the old gold cans the PureOne and the New Model that came out a year ago the Purolator One 10K miles. I'll start to worry when I get a fail. I plan on using them all.

[/quote]I've been using the Tearolators in my Toyota for over 7 years now. I currently have a pretty good stock of them I got for under $6 a filter shipped. I've yet to open on and find a tear in it. I've used both the old gold cans the PureOne and the New Model that came out a year ago the Purolator One 10K miles. I'll start to worry when I get a fail. I plan on using them all.
[/quote]
I've been using the Purolator Classics, probably the worst of the breed, but again, no issues that I'm aware of. I don't keep filters stock piled and the OCOD are cheap enough, that and now I can consolidate my shopping to Wal-Mart;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back