Oil Extractors - Ever Use One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Mityvac 7400 fluid extractor to use for various fluid extractions. I used it for the first time yesterday to do an oil change on my daughter's '92 Camry 4 cyl. Thought it would save me some time and make the winter change easier (garage floor all wet from snow, cold, etc.). Not sure if I was doing things right, but it took a loooong time to suck out all of the oil. I had to pump that thing for 15-20 minutes! I spent some of that time fiddling with how far the tube was inserted into the dip stick hole.

Has anyone else used an extractor and found similar results? I was under the impression that it would take maybe 5 minutes and that the amount of pumping would be minimal.

I've had the Mityvac 7201 for about two years now and love it. It can be a bit slow in extracting fluids, depending on what kind of job you're doing. For example, when I do transmission fluid changes, I can only extract 4 quarts of fluid at a time through the dipstick hole. I've never tried to change my oil with it, but I've extracted differential gear oil, and it works well for this. I also purchased the brake bleeder kit and it bleeds brakes pretty well, too. Overall, I have found I have to pump it about five or six times every twenty seconds or so to keep the transmission fluid flowing quickly. The thicker the fluid the more I have to pump, which makes the differential job a bit of a chore.

Was your oil warm at the time you began the extraction? I noticed that when I drive my car for about 10-15 minutes beforehand, my differential gear oil flows out much easier. I tried to drain my differential in October without driving first and it was a real pain. I had to pump it a lot, and it took me almost 30 minutes to extract 1.75 quarts of 80W-90 gear oil!

Yes, the car and oil were at operating temps. I did use the skinniest of the three hoses.

Sounds like our pumping quantities are about the same. But 15-20 minutes meant 350 - 400 pumps! It wore me out plus I kept banging my fingers on the handle. Is there a powered model?

You're doing something wrong there. Starting with warm oil you should only be pumping that handle 2 or 3 times and thats it. It lowers pressure in the chamber and the oil flows. Do not expect it to act as if its being pressurized because it is a very low differential thats getting the job done. Do not lose those black rubber connectors as you'll have to buy all 3 hoses again if you do. "When all else fails... read the DIRECTIONS ".

I have and read the directions. They say to pump several times to create a vacuum until oil begins to flow into the reservoir. "then continue to operate the pump until all oil has been drained....". The oil would flow for maybe 15-30 seconds and then stop unless I pumped some more. I believe that the where the oil enters the reservoir is actually higher than the end of the hose in the dip stick tube, so it does not work as a continuous siphon.

HRGURU, Have you used a unit like this? I was wondering if I could create a siphon by pushing the hose through the rubber stopper and down into the reservoir.

I used a Pela 6000 to pump out 7 1/2 quarts of Dexron VI from my 2002 Impala's 4T65E transaxle. The siphon action was continuous but I would pump the handle 5 or 6 times when the flow reduced. Yes, it does take quite a long time due to the small diameter of the extraction tube. However, for a 5K mile fluid change for a reman transaxle it was easier and neater then doing a pan drop.

Originally Posted By: jackkpts
Yes, the car and oil were at operating temps. I did use the skinniest of the three hoses.

Sounds like our pumping quantities are about the same. But 15-20 minutes meant 350 - 400 pumps! It wore me out plus I kept banging my fingers on the handle. Is there a powered model?

Skinniest tube on the Mityvac does take awhile, even when oil is hot after a drive. Father-in-law has one and his dipstick tube is just barely smaller than the middle sized extractor tube. Have to use the small one and it takes ~15 minutes to get all 6 qts. out. Another problem he has, the tube is a bit too flexible. It seems to curl and move out of place while under vacuum. Constantly have to move the tube around to get it sucking oil again. Does not need to pump the heck out of it though. Generally 10-15 pumps and its good, as long as the tube stays put. Maybe you are losing vacuum some where at the connections, shouldn't have to pump it that much.

I have a Pela 6000. I have changed my FIL's same truck with it once and was able to use the bigger middle tube. Took about 10 minutes tops to get all the oil out and only pumped it about a dozen times. Held vacuum til the last drop was out. I'm assuming that Pela's and MV's tubes are slightly different sizes. Another feature I like about the Pela's tubes are that they are more ridgid and have a thin wire running the full length inside to keep them at the bottom of the sump.

I have a Harbor Freight model that I hook up to my air compressor. At 90 PSI, it will pull six quarts (its capacity) in a couple of minutes.

You're doing something wrong, or you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

I agree with the vacuum leak somewhere. I have a hand operated pump and it sucks out three quarts of ATF from my Tahoe in less then a minute.....it works really well. I use it on the mower also. Great little invention. Find your vacuum leak and you should be fine. Yes, I did see a powered one but it was expensive (to me anyway) and never followed up on it.

BOL.

I use a Topsider at times (boat extractor), you pump it about 50x to create vacuum, let it go and it does the rest. Depending on the car, it gets as much or more as a drain plug draining (on a MB C280), or up to almost a quart less (VW Passat 1.8t), but it works well and is easy to use.

Jon

I have a hand-pump extractor that I've used on and off for maybe seven years. I ordered it from Griot's Garage. I still have it, but the handle is now broken, and I must wear gloves to pad the end of the pump shaft, or it's unusable. Were I to buy another, it would most definitely be of the type that powered by an air compressor. Hand pumping works, but takes a long time, even with hot oil.

I have a hand-pump extractor that I've used on and off for maybe seven years. I ordered it from Griot's Garage. I still have it, but the handle is now broken, and I must wear gloves to pad the end of the pump shaft, or it's unusable. Were I to buy another, it would most definitely be of the type that powered by an air compressor. Hand pumping works, but takes a long time, even with hot oil.

yes. I have one that looks like a bicycle tire pump, it works well for smaller capcities... i.e. Power Steering, etc. I also have a Mity-Vac #7400 that holds up to 1.9 gallons (larger capacity unit is available), and has an automatic shut off that cuts off the vacuum when the fluid reaches the top.

I have not used these for motor oil, but have used them for other things such as sucking out ATF before dropping the pan to replace the AT filter.... much less mess, I must say; also used on PSF and windshield washer solvent tank. Very handy devices.

Either works fine for me. The Mity-Vac actually sits on the ground and takes about 10-15 pumps of handle to get going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back