Oil Extractor Experience

I was a sceptic but have an open mind. I watched this video and decided to give one a try. Needed a trans also an engine oil change and it is wet and cold so crawling under a car was no option. I purchased a small small suction pump on Amazon and used it today. Works very well. It will pump one liter/minute. I used it to change cvt fluid on my Suzuki then did the engine oil. Pump the used oil right into the proper disposal containers. Going to do the Ford Edge tomorrow. Watch the video and you decide.

Years ago I used a unit like the Topsider shown in the video. It may have even been a Topsider. Here are some things to consider:

Unless you can change your filter from above, you still have to get under the vehicle.

Depending on the vehicle, more or less oil is drained from the plug. Many of my vehicles had the drain plug on the bottom of the pan, not the side as shown in the video, so more oil would probably drain out.

Regardless of how much you drain from the pan, either with the Topsider or through the plug, almost all engines keep some oil in the block, so you never get it all. As an example, my Camry holds about a quart in the block. Check the dry and wet fill for your engine to determine how much oil will remain.

That said, if you're the person who chooses not to change the filter for whatever reason, the Topsider may be a very useful tool. Marine engines have used variations of that same design for years.

I had a topsider its ok, mightyvac is nicer (and knockoffs at HF are decent)
I actually have the 6gallon HF model that uses shop air to pull a vacuum... works good.
it comes with a really wonky barbed air fitting.. but 30s and a quick connect later its standardized :)
paid about $120
dont forget HF coupons.

. hfex.JPG

I bought one.

Works great on the Mercedes. Use it for PS Systems and transmissions, too.

Abject failure on the Tundra. It gets about 3 quarts of the eight in the engine, leaving five to be drained via the plug. Just the way that oil pan and dipstick are related, you can’t get anywhere near the bottom of the pan.

So, great on some cars, pointless on others.

I’ve never used one. I’m old school and prefer using the drain plugs. Well I might have used one once back in school when my friend broke off a drain plug but that was a long time ago so I can’t remember.

I've bought a Mityvac 7201 a couple years ago and have never used it :/ I got it to do the transmission and diff fluids as I thought they didn't have a drain plug but they do (well I have to drop the trans pan to do filter anyways.) Maybe I'll try it to get the pan mostly empty... *shrugs

Subaru Impreza oil filter is under the hood and mounts from the top. You can change the oil with a MightyVac from a standing position without having to raise the car or get under the car.

I had same experience
I bought one.

Works great on the Mercedes. Use it for PS Systems and transmissions, too.

Abject failure on the Tundra. It gets about 3 quarts of the eight in the engine, leaving five to be drained via the plug. Just the way that oil pan and dipstick are related, you can’t get anywhere near the bottom of the pan.

So, great on some cars, pointless on others.
Some GM and many EURO cars its great.

3 different subaru with abysmal results.

Oil extractor is also good if you are doing a pan drop on a transmission and want to reduce mess.. IE its not on a lift where its easy to stay clean.
Even used it in a pinch on really old gas in seldom used OPE that wasnt dumpable.. such as my backup snowblower a pos poulan you cant dump the gas out of even upside down.. and no gas line accessible.

FWIW the CHONDA on my CAT brand powerwasher isnt dumpable either. the tank has odd baffles that go really low you can suck gas from the bottom but cant dump whatsoever.

How old is that video? I bought one of those things from JC Whitney back in the 80's. Worked pretty good, but no comparison to a pneumatic style I'm using for 20 years now. Most often used for changing brake fluid, 2nd most for trans fluid before dropping the pan.

I was a sceptic but have an open mind. I watched this video and decided to give one a try. Needed a trans also an engine oil change and it is wet and cold so crawling under a car was no option. I purchased a small small suction pump on Amazon and used it today. Works very well. It will pump one liter/minute. I used it to change cvt fluid on my Suzuki then did the engine oil. Pump the used oil right into the proper disposal containers. Going to do the Ford Edge tomorrow. Watch the video and you decide.

The most common because it's the best is the Mytivac.

I like this guy and his videos, but I hate oil extractors. Takes too long, I get frustrated and I usually have to position them up in the engine compartment. I’m all set. Been there done that.

But I like them for transmission dipstick drain and fills, differentials, lawnmowers, etc.

Last edited:

The problem with this unit is it doesn't hold enough oil to change many cars and trucks. It also collapses very easily. Get the tall plastic ones that hold 2.5 gal and won't collapse..

I use the harbor freight 9l extractor, works good on transmissions, many trannys don’t have drain plugs. The down side, it’s slow. I’m also worried I’m going to break a solenoid wire or something but so far haven’t.

I use a Pella PL-6000 extractor, similar to some of the other units mentioned. This one has a 6 litre capacity, and I bought it when I had my 2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI to do oil changes, as accessing from below with VW's belly pan in the way was a real PITA.

What I found was you need nice hot oil for it to work best, and was very effective for changing oil on that car. Oil filter was also accessible from the top, so everything was easy, and much less messy than going underneath. But it is slow at extracting, so bring a beer and relax.

I liked the process so much, I did my next oil change, and all others afterwards on my 2006 Toyota Sienna the same way. Oil filter on that I could access from the top as well, by removing the heat shield on the exhaust manifold, which I did when I drained the oil from underneath.

DIdn't work so great on my 2013 Duramax with its very long dipstick, not to mention I would have to do it in stages due to the capacity of my extractor. So on that vehicle, I do the change old school. With an annual change timed for the summer and lots of room to work on that vehicle both above and under, I don't need to do an extractor there anyway.

I've also since used it on my 2018 VW Tiguan (belly pan again), but have also found it useful for oil changes on every small engine I have on OPEs. I plan on using it on my relatively new to me commuter beater car when I will give it an oil change in the spring (not due, and bought from a family member who's meticulous about maintenance).

Back