Oil Extractor Experience

I used a Topsider on two of my Mercedes, and it always worked well. Then I had the Buick Park Avenue, which could not be drained through the dipstick. I happened to take the Topsider out one day a few years after I'd last used it, and found the screw-on caps had frozen to the metal. Be sure if you have a Topsider that you put some lube or anti-seize on the threads of the caps!

The problem with this unit is it doesn't hold enough oil to change many cars and trucks. It also collapses very easily. Get the tall plastic ones that hold 2.5 gal and won't collapse..
The Topsider I had would hold 8 quarts and a bit more -- enough to drain the V-8 of my W126. Is this one smaller? Or are there a lot of cars and trucks that take 9+ quarts now?

I think it depends on the car. For a car with no drain plug for the tranny, they're great!

I used to call these things stupid and you must be a whossy if you can't crawl underneath a dirty old greasy old whatever and burn yourself while pulling the overtighrened oil drain plug with a broken Crescent wrench.
I was wrong... I love my MityVac.

Some cars are better candidates than others. I only use the thinner drain tube. I compare the dipstick length with the drain tube to approximate the pan depth.

All good.

The Topsider I had would hold 8 quarts and a bit more -- enough to drain the V-8 of my W126. Is this one smaller? Or are there a lot of cars and trucks that take 9+ quarts now?
Yeah, mine holds 8 quarts as well - big enough for most engines.

My issue with it is that it's always been difficult to get a good seal between the container and the pump/handle, requiring a lot of pumping and very slow extraction. It eventually gets it done, but it's frustrating.

MITYVAC is great for small engine O.C.s.. Don't have to tip or flip heavy push lawnmowers ( Honda GVC 160 + WEEDEATER ) to drain oil . Back saver . Did have a MTD ( B+S ) and Sears ( Tecumseh ) lawnmower with a drain plug . Picked them up and set on a pair of plastic saw horses with plastic bucket beneath to catch oil . Not aware of any new push mowers with drain plugs .

I use my Mityvac all the time. AT, PS, and oil removal in the 240s. Oil removal in the standby generator. It’s not useful for oil removal in the Avalon.

I was a sceptic but have an open mind. I watched this video and decided to give one a try. Needed a trans also an engine oil change and it is wet and cold so crawling under a car was no option. I purchased a small small suction pump on Amazon and used it today. Works very well. It will pump one liter/minute. I used it to change cvt fluid on my Suzuki then did the engine oil. Pump the used oil right into the proper disposal containers. Going to do the Ford Edge tomorrow. Watch the video and you decide.

Just threw my Topsider away about a month ago. Worked fine but was collecting dust.

Don't expect any extractor to last indefinitely.

I used to have a Pella 6000 (the one that looks like a ball) for my old '03 Golf TDI - made oil changes a breeze and also let me suck all the used oil out of the oil filter housing. Cap it off, bag it up in a trash bag just in case, drive it to the auto store and empty it and done - no messing with trying to empty a drain pan into empty bottles.

I have heard murmurs on some MB forums that their dealer service department oil changes are all done via topside extraction and the drain plug is never touched. Can't confirm or deny because I never crawled underneath to mark drain plugs or anything.

I couldn't find one on Amazon or Ebay with the blue filler tank. There are tons of them out there for sale. Which is the best manual one for around $75?

It's handy. I have both a 9L generic one and a small Mityvac brake bleeder - basically just a small vacuum pump. I prefer to just drain the oil since I have get the oil filter from underneath anyway but this way I don't always fiddle with gaskets or washers for the drain bolt. Plus, the large and small ones are useful for draining other fluids - differential, transfer case, ATF, any liquidy stuff.

I only needed an extractor once. Was all ready to buy one, instead tried a real low cost substitute. A pump from a Pantene shampoo bottle and three feet of clear vinyl tubing I had laying around. Took a while but got the job done.

A good friend of mine helped me with a lot of auto projects. He loved my mityvac. I gave him mine and later bought another. They make quick work of thru-the-tube transmission D/F, power steering reservoirs, small engines.... if you do a lot of work it’s handy to have around.

Awesome. I am going to buy one right now. I didn't know you could do automatic transmission changes with those. SOLD!
You can service as AT if the extraction tube fits deep enough into the pan.
I tried my MityVac on a '13 Civic LX (last year before CVT) and I got under 2 quarts; 2.5 is a better number.
Perhaps I could have tried harder, I don't recall. I just pulled the plug.
But the oil change worked like a charm. Just make sure the fluid is sufficiently warm. Makes a difference.
The MityVac comes with extraction tubes; I now only use the smaller one.

tried mine for the first time today. worked well, but oil needs to be very thin or very warm. There's a temp limit of 60c for the one I have but I believe that's mostly for the hoses as the pump is all metal.

I pumped some thin oil, maybe 50 cst and it made short work of that.

I've been using a MityVac 7201 and before that a Pella for at least 15 years. On the RX400h and the previous Sienna's I could access the filter from the top, and change oil in my business casual clothes.

I now have a Sequoia with the 5.7L, based on what I've read I will need to gravity drain due to extractors not reaching the lowest point in the pan.

As has been said, some engines orient the dipstick tube that an extractor can be used. Some, such as the 2009 Mercedes-Benz 3.0L diesel I had run the actual dipstick tube to the bottom of the crankcase pan. The air powered floor standing Harbor Freight extractor has the wrong fitting for US air hoses but exactly the right fitting on the extraction hose to replace M-B dipstick to extract without having to insert a pickup straw.

Initially thought that was too good to believe. Sucked everything out I could then inserted the straw and couldn’t get any more. Dumped 8 liters in, just barely reached the dipstick ADD. Another liter resulted in perfect fill midway between ADD and FULL (or whatever M-B called the marks). Exactly the rated capacity. Might actually get more out with extractor.

The ML-320 had a belly cover held with about 12 bolts. Then the crankcase pan was covered in 1/4“ felt for sound. Looked like the felt would wick a lot of oil if the drain bolt was removed. Talked to a friendly M-B mechanic who confirmed lack of magnet on drain bolt. And said they used carb cleaner on the felt to remove the wicked oil. That is when I decided to purchase an extractor.

Back