Oil drain plug washer on Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 19 yo son changed the oil on his 2000 Camry yesterday. After I intervened to refill the transmission and actually drain the crankcase, it went fine. The transmission probably needed a fluid change anyway.

What concerns me is the lack of a washer on the oil drain bolt. Is this normal on a Toyota 4 cylinder?

lol... Well at least he's trying!!! Everyone has to start somewhere :)

There is normally a black washer on all Toyota's. My brother has a Pontiac Vibe (aka Toyota Matrix) and what normally happens is the black washer gets stuck to the pan. So it appears that there is no washer that comes off with the bolt, but it's usually on the pan.

Did you check for that?

Last edited:
Almost all Japanese engine design calls for a crushable washer in their engine oil drain bolt.

If yours doesn't come with it, put one in.

Q.

I'd imagine a copper crush washer from the hardware store would work fine. I'd buy a handful for my Saab and replaced every OCI.

I have had 4 toyota engines 1 4cyl and 3 different v6 engines all required the crush washer. I get my oil filters from the dealer and they put on in every box. I just did an OC on my 4runner and somebody put 6 washers in the box.
banana2.gif

Typically they don't use a crush washer on the oil pan, but they do use them on the ATF pan. I always thought that was weird.

On all the Toyotas I've had there has always been a kind of rubber washer on the oil pan bolt.

I used rubber washers on the 2000 Corolla but they only lasted 1 or 2 OCI's. Last oil change I used a plastic Fel-Pro drain plug gasket, should last quite a while. So far no leaks.

Dealers carry the replacement crush washers and you can get them for a buck or so here: http://www.trdparts4u.com/
They are OEM.
il signore may be on to something in his statement about the washer sticking to the pan. I saw that a few times and thought it was just coincidence. Washer on washer is not good.

^It happens all the time to my brother's Vibe. It never happens to my Altima though, which uses a traditional copper crush washer.

Toyota's black drain plug washer (not sure what it is made from) always seems to stick to the pan.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I used rubber washers on the 2000 Corolla but they only lasted 1 or 2 OCI's. Last oil change I used a plastic Fel-Pro drain plug gasket, should last quite a while. So far no leaks.

Plastic?!?!?

I've only used copper or rubber washers. I've never used a plastic washer before. How's that supposed to work?

Originally Posted By: il_signore97

Toyota's black drain plug washer (not sure what it is made from) always seems to stick to the pan.

Always sticks on mine too. I just take a small flat bladed screw driver and pop it off. It looks like it is made from some soft cheap alloy. BTW, if you use a copper drain plug gasket you can heat them with a propane torch and re-expand them and use 2-3 times. The old Nissan copper crush gaskets could be used 4-5 times. Now THAT is being cheap....
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Plastic?!?!?

I've only used copper or rubber washers. I've never used a plastic washer before. How's that supposed to work?

Plastic works great, just remember to change them with every plug R&R.

My Toyota has a thick, heavy duty nylon type washer that is still in perfect condition after 150,000 miles of use.

Agreed - check the oil pan to see if it's stuck on there.

Last edited:

Plastic?!?!?

They're only .89 and I'm going to try to use it for more than 1 OCI but if not, no worries they're cheap.

Here's the link:

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=70822&PartType=797&PTSet=A

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick

Plastic?!?!?

I just have a hard time understanding how this works.

Soft copper or rubber makes a good washer as it "crushes" to form a seal. Will plastic do the same thing? In my mind, I'm picturing this hard piece of plastic that is inflexible...

Lost the washer for the oil drain bolt on my 1987 Jetta years ago. Just put it on without a washer. Doesn't leak with no washer -- so I'm good to go. I doubt the washer will make any difference.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

Plastic?!?!?

Soft copper or rubber makes a good washer as it "crushes" to form a seal. Will plastic do the same thing? In my mind, I'm picturing this hard piece of plastic that is inflexible...

I'm not sure exactly how it works but the one I put on the Corolla had some flexibility. When I tightened(semi-snug) I still had to torque it down some to make it nice and tight but not too tight.

I put one on my brother's Lancer like 50K ago, it's still in good shape.

The plastic will compress under the load of the tightened drain plug to form a seal. It's not a traditional "crush" washer like the Nissan copper ones, just a flat washer. Looks the same before and after.

Give me a break. Replace the copper washer WHY? The copper washer on my wifes G35X is the factory original washer and it does not leak a drop. Car has 91,000 on it now. Just changed oil again yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back