Oil Cunsumpsion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Mustang GT with the 5.0 V8 I purchased it used last summer with 7,000 miles. I am now into my second oil change every 5000 miles with Motorcraft simi synthetic 5w20 and the car seems to drink a full quart of oil every 3,000 miles and I don't know if this would be considered excessive or not? The car runs fantastic with no other issues.

Seems excessive to my standards but that's a big engine that may be designed to eat some oil.
Some of the Ford people here will tell you in more detail if correct or not.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I have a 2013 Mustang GT with the 5.0 V8 I purchased it used last summer with 7,000 miles. I am now into my second oil change every 5000 miles with Motorcraft simi synthetic 5w20 and the car seems to drink a full quart of oil every 3,000 miles and I don't know if this would be considered excessive or not? The car runs fantastic with no other issues.

Switch to full synthetic like M1 EP.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Swtiching to full synthetic will do nothing to address the consumption. 3000 per quart is not an issue and is typical for the engine.

Almost all the OEMs claim that 1qt/1kmiles is A-OK
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: philipp10

Swtiching to full synthetic will do nothing to address the consumption. 3000 per quart is not an issue and is typical for the engine.

Well, I think switching to synthetic would be better overall, regardless of consumption. But, M1 EP might have lower NOACK which could help.

any ford i had with consumption issues i'd go up in grade until it stopped. so far that has been 10w30 (full syn).

Makes me wonder if the previous owner just traded it in because of the oil consumption issue and you're now left holding the bag as the second owner.

Go up to a 5W-30 and see if it makes any difference, and if it does at least let the dealer you choose to do warranty work know that you're using a grade not specified by the owner's manual because of the issue.

Prob stuck rings due to underuse. I found Valvoline Synpower to be good for combating stuck rings. Also undfer fill that giant sump by a 1/2 quart and maybe the consumption would be less. 1 qt per 3K is not bad at all for a high power density engine.

Why are you only running 5k oci? Do you use the IOLM? I'm getting about 8500 miles between oil changes in the truck (in sig), same engine basically. Uses about 2qts between changes.

...the car seems to drink a full quart of oil every 3,000 miles and I don't know if this would be considered excessive or not?

Unfortunate, but not excessive. Playing around with brands may or may not get you better results.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Prob stuck rings due to underuse. I found Valvoline Synpower to be good for combating stuck rings. Also undfer fill that giant sump by a 1/2 quart and maybe the consumption would be less. 1 qt per 3K is not bad at all for a high power density engine.

Ha, I'd say that chance is just about ZERO & NONE...

Some engines use a little oil, I actually feel 3K mi is about right, add at 3k and change at 6K when it's down again...

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Makes me wonder if the previous owner just traded it in because of the oil consumption issue and you're now left holding the bag as the secone owner

That's what I think as well. I've never had a car use oil,not even my worst beaters. I'd step it up to a 10W30

This is not a lot by any means. That is why I am thinking very good synthetic oil might help due to lower NOACK.

If engine is running at normal temperatures, NOACK basically means NOTHING...

I have two Grand Marquis that temps runs approx same, one will use a quart in 3K miles, the other has never dropped off the full mark in changes up to 11K mi... Both get M1 5W-30 EP... The one that uses oil has approx 3K miles less than the other, both under 70K mi...

Most cars I have owned didn't use oil. But my Volvo 740 Turbo used a bit of oil from day 1. It continued to use a bit of oil for the entire 18 1/2 years I owned it.

In the good old days they used to say that a high performance engine was more likely to use oil. Not sure that is true any more.

A quart in 3000 miles is well within the range of normal.

Need to bump the OCI up to 7000K at Least!

At least 1/3 of the cars I've owned used a couple qts per OCI and most had under 50K. Including Subaru EJ and FB, Toyota 2AZfe rav 4, Suzuki 2.3L DOHC, Chevy 4.3L 1500 Silverado.

Pennzoil Ultra has a lower NOACK than Mobil-1. That's what I would put in that 5.0 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back