Oil consumption going down

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick rundown, because I can't expect you all to keep track of my oil consumption!
wink.gif

Vehicle: 1996 Audi A4
Motor: 2.8l V6, 12 valves

Oil consumption used to be under 1/3 qt per 10k miles with Syntec 5W-50. Keep in mind I may hav been using the PAO 5W-50 back then instead of the hydrocracked bastrat Castrol has been selling the past few years.

Oil consumption with M1 5W-40 was initially about 0.5 qts/1k miles, tappering off to about 0.3 qt/1k miles over 8k miles. A UOA was performed at that time.

I then started and ARX treatment (in M1 5W-40) and began using FP. Oil consumption was unchanged during the cleaning phase. I'm now 800 miles into the rinse phase with DELO 400, and oil consumption has dropped to non-noticeable.

In another 1200 miles I will switch back to M1 5W-40 and after 8k miles I will again have a UOA performed and compare to the previous run of M1 5W-40.

quote:

So many variables involved here.

Perhaps the reduction in consumption for your A4 is due to the Delo?

If I suddenly begin to consume at at the original rate, then I'd say it is down to the type of oil.

Exactly. That's why I will run M1 5W-40 again for the same mileage and see how consumption and UOA will compare this time around. If oil consumption is still higher than I'd like, I may be looking at a good Group III oil in favor of a full synthetic.

May not help you much but the old Volva was getting to be like a wino near Ripple. (just substitute letters as required). The worst part - the consumption was getting worse (can we roll the tape here?)

Anyway this could get expensive, because I was running 96' Cab and not Gallo. So I did the full AutoRx thing.

Car really hasn't taken a drink since. Yeah I dribble a very little in after a few 1000 miles, but I am just anal about a full cc. I even wonder if after my LC flush it will get better. I need to do a couple more 80+ mph runs to Seattle to test....unfortunately that may be arranged.

Greetings Mori,

So many variables involved here. I too have attempted to cut oil consumption by using Auto RX treatments. My Dodge Neon has used M1 5w-30 for all but 2k miles of it's 91,000 mile life. Prior to starting the treatment it would use about 1 quart every 2k miles.

I used Auto RX with Castrol GT, followed by a pennzoil rinse...

I also cleaned the cc using Mopar CCC sprayed in the intake and then dumped in the spark plug holes to soak the pistons.

My oil consumption has gone quite down a bit, but I think it might have to do with the fact that I am using an oil OTHER than M1. Perhaps the reduction in consumption for your A4 is due to the Delo?

In my case I will find out soon if the Auto RX treatment and Mopar CCC helped to cut the consumption. Next week I will dump the pennzoil and put in a mix of M1 0w-30 and 0w-40.

If I suddenly begin to consume at at the original rate, then I'd say it is down to the type of oil.

UPDATE:

The ARX rinse was completed 1k milkes ago. Oil consumption with M1 5W-40 is not yet noticeable. Whether ARX or Delo 400, or both, worked I do not know. I'm also still using FP. Something reduced oil consumption, but I do not know what.

My consumption trends downward on cars I begin to service with 15w-40 or 40 weight synth...or after ARX. My T&SUV fill of 8q with jumbo filter has barely been dented. BTW- I have been getting good results with ST Synth 10w-30.

Well, I never used anything thinner than an xW-40 oil in that car. If oil consumption with M1 5W-40 remains lower after the ARX then it was before the ARX treatment, then I'm happy.

I use hyperbole a lot. I'm also a terrible pushover.
wink.gif

I tried it only because I was curious, and because Terry suggested using ARX. I can't make any certain statement regarding ARX's effectiveness. Having used ARX, including a rinse phase with DELO 400, and FP, it's impossible to tell what may have been effective. All I can tell is that oil comsumption is down. A UOA after a total of 8k miles will maybe yield further clues.

quote:

Oil consumption used to be under 1/3 qt per 10k miles with Syntec 5W-50.
Oil consumption with M1 5W-40 was initially about 0.5 qts/1k miles

mori, am I reading this right, you went from 1/3qt every 10k miles, to consuming 1/2 qt every 1k miles? wow...if ARX worked, that is amazing. I'd start to question how it got to be that bad in the first place...could the group III stuff you were using maybe leave your rings all messed up? Maybe this is where an oil like Redline is great at preventing this type of problem in the first place???
dunno.gif

buster, I don't think my rings are messed up. I have no proof, of course, persoanlly, based on my previous experience with VW cars, I'd think my oil consumption oil consumption, which is well within what Audi allows (1 qt/ 700 miles), is mostly due to old valve stem seals. On all my VWs I needed new valve stem seals every 40k miles due to my driving style (lots of full throttle, high acceleration, redlining, lots of engie breaking, you get the idea). The Audi has still the OEM seals. That consumption with a full synthetic 5W-40 is higher than with the group III 5W-50 does not suprise me, as oil consumption appears generally lower with group III oils. Red Line sounds good, but I'm not paying 8 bucks a quart. T&SUV is already over $6 with tax.

Another point: My Audi was not fully broken in until I hit about 50k miles. The engine kept loosening up considerably, and now, at 138k miles, the engine runs better and faster than ever. Being a little clapped-out has its advantages, but it comes at a price, which may well be increased oil consumption.

Good idea, the SUV has a good amount of esters in it so that should work well. RL is pricey. Your right about the group III's having less consumption. Oil consumption can be difficult to figure out. Anyway glad to see it's reduced.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back