My car is currently being tested for oil consumption and I have a low level right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer did a change to test for oil consumption by swapping in Agip Synthetic PC 5W-40 and told me to return in 1000 miles to check the level. Yesterday I was driving very aggressively (downshifting, 140mph burst on desolate road, redline through the gears) for ~ 80 miles. Anyway, it has been 300 miles since the change and my oil level was at the very minimum on the dipstick. This is usually 1/2-1 qt. low. My sytstem supposedly holds 12-13 qts. of oil in an Audi 4.2V8. Could this have caused any undue or excessive wear driving this way w/ the oil level low? No oil light came on. I am concerned.

the low oil level would only be a problem in hard cornering where you might risk starvation issues. I'd be more concerned about the way you drive it though.

You certainly have an oil consumption issue with that car though, anything over 1qt/1000 miles is considered excessive. Are you sure your car holds that much oil ?, that sounds like a lot of quarts, I thought air cooled Porsches were the only cars to have sumps that large.

Your dealer will likely be doing some major work on that car in the near future, as the consumption levels exceed the specs of most manufacturers within the industry. I'd suspect some poor or damaged rings as the culprit.

12-13qts? must have an external dry sump? Engines like this usually have extra pumps and checkvalves etc... often making consistant oil level checks kind of a trick. Does your manual have a procedure layed out for the check? I'm sure the system kept the engine pressure fed, no worrys about hurting it with just being a qt down IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by wileyE:
12-13qts? must have an external dry sump? Engines like this usually have extra pumps and checkvalves etc... often making consistant oil level checks kind of a trick. Does your manual have a procedure layed out for the check? I'm sure the system kept the engine pressure fed, no worrys about hurting it with just being a qt down IMO.

There is no special procedure other than checking the dipstick like you would normally. On the other hand, Audi is so vague and ambiguous about the proper oil and specs in general and the right weight to use in which temp, etc. that I don't put it past them to just not mention something like that. As far as the amount of oil, it takes 10 qts. at a change and supposedly from other people who've had their motors replaced, it takes 13.5 qts. to fill when completely empty.

I check my oil cold, in the morning. GC has the best consumption so far, 1.5q/11k. I am not driving 140 though.
grin.gif
Don't worry about the 1-2 quart low levels with 12q sump! You did your car a favour driving it hard.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
the low oil level would only be a problem in hard cornering where you might risk starvation issues. I'd be more concerned about the way you drive it though.

You certainly have an oil consumption issue with that car though, anything over 1qt/1000 miles is considered excessive. Are you sure your car holds that much oil ?, that sounds like a lot of quarts, I thought air cooled Porsches were the only cars to have sumps that large.

Your dealer will likely be doing some major work on that car in the near future, as the consumption levels exceed the specs of most manufacturers within the industry. I'd suspect some poor or damaged rings as the culprit.

The car only has 8900 miles; 8600 when the test was initiated. About my driving, in general I am a safe driver who, as much as any enthusiast, obeys the laws and common sense practices of the road. Fortunately, there is a place that, especially very early on a sunday morning, is straight as an arrow and totally desolate. It is what the car the car NEEDS to feel at home. It is an autobahn orphan.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
If the engine needs oil return to the dealer.

Is it a catch 22 because I need to drive 40 hwy miles to get to my dealer w/ some stop and go city. I'd like to fill it but then they'd have to take my word.
gr_eek2.gif

Personally I would fill it with whatever I thought would make it the 40 miles while still having it at the same "quart low" level once I got there.

Agip synthetic isn't much different than other synthetics, they wouldn't notice. I assume Agip is the same golden color as most oils excluding GC, royal purple, etc.

Even my 13 year old Nissan Sentra is consuming 0.75quartz per 1000 miles with deperate need for front main seal. Take back to dealer, give it back, My uncle has 2002 A8 4.2 V8 in my home country and he drives like crazy, in the autobahn's there is no speed limit, so 3 months ago we went at the top speed of the car which is 250km/hour(156miles/hour) for straight three hours and he changes his oil once in a year which he accumulates around 25k. So the worst case scenario is like 1 quartz per 2k if there is no oil left in the car when the oil is changed. Definitely something wrong your car.

No offense but if you drive like 140mph in this country, you dont need to care about your car because they will get back your licence soon:) so dont worry..

V8Blitz,
You need to return the car to Audi and the dealer where the oil usage test is being done.
Contact the dealer and inform them you are low on oil and what they want to do. Don't add any oil on your own without notifying them and follow their instructions. Right now it's their engine because they are liable on the warranty. Don't do anything that will change that, because you may have to pay for an engine if they can get out of it. If they want you to drive it with the oil a bit low, then do that. Take notes and note whom you talked to and dates and times.

I don't think you ran the car too hard, as this car is designed and advertised for it's high speed capabilities, so it should do them.
Just protect yourself on the warranty...
cheers.gif

As your car will be in the shop for a while, ask them for another A8 or same type of car while yours is repaired. It will speed up the repair and with a top of the line car like the A8, you should be afforded the courtesy by Audi/USA, if not the dealer. Good Luck
cheers.gif

[ May 17, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: pastmaster ]

I am familiar with the issue of an engine suddenly consuming oil when driven hard. This happens all the time when summer vacation season begins in Germany and people take their stop'n go commuter cars out on the Autobahn, packed with family and the whole kit and caboodle, on the way to Italy. You can see cars with seized engines at the side of the Autobahn during that time. The reason for these engine failures is often fuel dilution from daily stop-and-go driving, the cause is the burning off the fuel at high oil temperatures at sustained high speed.

My mechanic always asked me if my car showed any, loosely translated, "miraculous oil propagation" when I brought my car in for a service.

Fuel dilution is an issue to consider, if an engine consumes abnormal quantities of oil under occasional spirited driving.

As for Audi motors, they can be quite thirsty. I can cut my oil consumption in half by driving like a granny. Audi considers up to 1 liter/1000 km (ca 1qt/700 miles) normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back